News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Capitalization matters!

Started by 1995hoo, December 10, 2018, 10:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2018, 08:21:42 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 11, 2018, 08:17:33 AM

I can't figure out what that's actually supposed to mean.

"Roles."  She's an actress. "Life, and her roles, get better with age."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 11, 2018, 08:31:38 AM

So it's just a typo, then.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 09:09:25 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 11, 2018, 08:31:38 AM

So it's just a typo, then.

But a funny typo.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Getting back to the original topic, it seems the editor of that paper needs a lesson in proper title case. No capitalized conjunctions or prepositions, etc.

US71

Quote from: wxfree on December 10, 2018, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 10, 2018, 04:16:36 PM
Quote from: Paulinator66 on December 10, 2018, 03:50:44 PM
My favorite example of this

Now we've moved to the topic of punctuation instead of capitalization, but my favorite is...

A woman without her man is nothing.
A woman:  without her, man is nothing.

Lionel Hutz
Works on contingency
No money down

Oh, sorry, they left off the punctuation.

Lionel Hutz
Works on contingency?
No, money down!

It's one of the more cromulent examples of the importance of punctuation.

Lets eat Grandma.   :-o
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

When you're a small-town newspaper, it's easy to let errors slip through, especially if you don't have a lot of eyes looking at your stuff and the editor is also a writer. You can read and re-read and re-re-read your own stuff and miss stuff that becomes readily apparent as soon as you see it in print. At the paper I edited for eight years, we had an eagle-eyed proofreader (the publisher's father) who could catch even the tiniest of errors. When he died, I'm not ashamed to say the quality of the printed product went down because stuff would slip through that he would otherwise have caught (such as the time I misspelled the proper name "Burgher" as "Burger" in the jump head of an obituary.)

I've been alarmed, though, at the number of errors I'm spotting in big news outlets. Not only punctuation, spelling, and capitalization, but basic grammar and other errors such as extraneous words that don't belong.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 05:33:40 PM

Now we've moved to the topic of punctuation instead of capitalization, but my favorite is...

There's a few good examples of when the Oxford comma can be useful.

Among those interviewed were Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall.

Brandon

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 11, 2018, 12:21:16 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 10, 2018, 05:33:40 PM

There's a few good examples of when the Oxford comma can be useful.

Among those interviewed were Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall.

Interesting set of ex-wives.

/this is why the Oxford comma is very important, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

There's an old joke that I don't completely remember with a punchline "eats shoots and leaves" that involves strategic placement of the comma, but I can't recall the entire thing. It compares a herbivore to a man in a one-night stand, I think.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2018, 02:24:28 PM
There's an old joke that I don't completely remember with a punchline "eats shoots and leaves" that involves strategic placement of the comma, but I can't recall the entire thing. It compares a herbivore to a man in a one-night stand, I think.

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

It's about a koala bear that refuses to pay a prostitute for services rendered.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:03:15 PM

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

"Why?" asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

"Well, I'm a panda," he says. "Look it up."

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. "Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves."

I never did like that whole "don't use a comma before the 'and'" rule.

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on December 10, 2018, 03:34:32 PM
If LeBron could afford a Hummer while he was in high school, someone was running seriously afoul of amateurism guidelines. I thought he was a poor kid who got rich by going straight to the NBA.

As I understand it, knowing he was going to make megabucks within a year, his mother somehow got a loan of $50K for it, circumventing the rules. This story elaborates, https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hummer-that-got-lebron-james-investigated-in-high-school-is-up-for-auction-again/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.