News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Coldest and warmest temperatures you've experienced

Started by Bruce, May 07, 2020, 06:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

Probably -20 a few times in Michigan.  The winter of 1994 sticks out to me, but I couldn't tell you exact temperatures because I was in the second grade.

Hottest is 118 in Carlsbad, New Mexico in the summer of 1998.

kphoger

Quote from: ce929wax on May 07, 2020, 11:27:29 PM

Ha!  The one time I've been to Carlsbad, it snowed on us while we were tent camping in March.  The locals kept apologizing for the unusual weather.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2020, 11:51:33 AM
Quote from: ce929wax on May 07, 2020, 11:27:29 PM

Ha!  The one time I've been to Carlsbad, it snowed on us while we were tent camping in March.  The locals kept apologizing for the unusual weather.

I've been there in snow and blazing hot summer.  It was so cold the one year that I put my dog in the Caverns kennel because he was freezing his butt off.  I think that was the first time they had ever had anyone put their dog in their because it was too cold. 

CoreySamson

Coldest was 12 degrees F in Memphis a couple years back.

Hottest is difficult to say. The hottest I can distinctly remember was 101 or so in Columbus, Texas, but I'm pretty sure Houston's gotten a bit hotter than that. On the other hand if we're talking heat index, I can recall heat indexes over 120 in my county.

Houston doesn't get the massive 105-110 heat waves the rest of Texas seems to get every summer.

Instead, nearly every day is about 95 with high humidity.

For 4 months.

Straight.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 08, 2020, 01:29:04 PM
Coldest was 12 degrees F in Memphis a couple years back.

Hottest is difficult to say. The hottest I can distinctly remember was 101 or so in Columbus, Texas, but I'm pretty sure Houston's gotten a bit hotter than that. On the other hand if we're talking heat index, I can recall heat indexes over 120 in my county.

Houston doesn't get the massive 105-110 heat waves the rest of Texas seems to get every summer.

Instead, nearly every day is about 95 with high humidity.

For 4 months.

Straight.

August 2011 had five days over 101 in Houston.  The hottest that month was 27-AUG-2011, with a recorded high temperature of 106.

I don't know if you went outside that day.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

amroad17

When I lived in Chesapeake, VA...
    - warmest: 104 F, August 1980
    - coldest: -3 F, January 1985

Here in Northern Kentucky...
    - warmest: 104 F, July 2012
    - coldest: -12 F, February 2015

However, the hottest day I experienced was 112 F in Phoenix in 2006.  I also experienced a 105 F day in, of all places, Eau Claire WI during the 2005 heat wave.

The coldest: -26 F in Syracuse, NY, January 1966.  Yes, of course I don't remember--I was not yet 4 years old.  But that's where I lived then.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

CNGL-Leudimin

I don't recall when I had my coldest day and how cold it was, presumably because it's not as extreme as yours. It may have been around 20 °F, but definitely several °C into the negative.

On the other hand, I pretty much recall reaching 110 °F last year. That day, my hometown (Huesca, Spain) was even hotter than Phoenix.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: amroad17 on May 09, 2020, 07:25:30 AM
The coldest: -26 F in Syracuse, NY, January 1966.  Yes, of course I don't remember--I was not yet 4 years old.  But that's where I lived then.

Are you sure you experienced it?  Did your parents take you outside?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2020, 02:48:27 PM

Considering the age demographic I wouldn't put it past a parent to make a kid that young shovel the driveway in that weather.  My Dad made me go numerous times below zero before I was 10 to shovel the driveway.  Granted, I was in enough clothes which would have put Ralphy's brother in a Christmas Story to shame.  I think that I was the happiest person in the house when we finally got a snow blower. 

amroad17

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2020, 02:48:27 PM

Maybe not--although I do have a photo of me sitting on an eight foot snowbank all bundled up the day after the January 1966 blizzard Syracuse had.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ET21

Warmest: 109 in Mitchell South Dakota back in 2005 during a road trip
Coldest: -29 at my house during the 2019 polar vortex in Chicago
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.