News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Old welcome signs

Started by Truvelo, March 20, 2010, 05:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

Is there anywhere online with pictures of defunct state welcome signs? I've tried searching but everything I've found has pictures from the late 90's onwards. I'm looking for 70's or 80's.
Speed limits limit life

bugo

I don't know about a site, but here's an old Oklahoma sign, taken by the great Michael Summa.  I remember seeing this sign as a kid.  It's a really cool design.

Ian

Heres an old Pennsylvania welcome sign still alive on US 202 northbound:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

A bunch of my midwestern states have Michael Summa photos as well.  You may have to browse a bit for them, but that'll just lead you to more Summa Snapz (TM).

Truvelo

I googled Michael Summa and there's a website showing some of his pictures. I particularly like the older style welcome signs.
Speed limits limit life

Alex

Here is Delaware's Welcome sign from 1985:

Brandon

Quote from: Truvelo on March 21, 2010, 03:17:52 PM
I googled Michael Summa and there's a website showing some of his pictures. I particularly like the older style welcome signs.

There's a few sites with his photos out there.  They are amazing to look at!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

PAHighways

During the infancy of the Interstate System in the 60s, Pennsylvania installed special welcome signs on them at their entries into the Commonwealth.

Welcome to Pennsylvania (R 2-5-2) - 1967 PA MUTCD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.