News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BP boycott?

Started by allniter89, May 23, 2010, 01:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about boycotting BP products?

I'm boycotting now.
5 (17.9%)
Great idea!! Lets do this!
0 (0%)
Nah, it wont do any good.
10 (35.7%)
I'd rather BP throws its money into cleanup.
13 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Duke87

My car's owner's manual recommends BP. :biggrin: (wonder how much they paid Ford for that...)

I personally think the whole BP boycott is stupid. But, there are no BP stations in town, so I don't typically buy gas there, anyway.
I do, however, see a delicious irony in the fact that it's the company that's been blowing their horn like crazy about how they're into being green that would have this happen to them. :-D

On the other hand, I have been boycotting and will continue to boycott Citgo, as I have no interest in giving Hugo Chavez my money.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Duke87 on June 04, 2010, 02:32:38 PM
On the other hand, I have been boycotting and will continue to boycott Citgo, as I have no interest in giving Hugo Chavez my money.

what your local Citgo station doesn't sell to you, they'll hold in reserve, implying they'll buy less gasoline from their distributor next week.  The distributor will go and sell their excess gasoline to another distributor, for Chevron or whomever.  Citgo HQ will realize the same revenue, and give the same amount of money to Hugo either way.

The only person affected by your boycott is the franchisee, and Hugo Chavez will remain blissfully unaware of the entire proceedings.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

the only gas stations I am going to boycott are

a) the ones with no bathroom (or the ones with the key behind the counter, where you need to ask for permission to go to the bathroom)

2) the Shell stations which have those TVs that blare ads at me while I pump gas, and cannot be silenced

those are decisions made by the individual franchisee to hose the customer.  Short of defecating on their floor, this is my way of protesting.

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 04, 2010, 02:58:58 PM
the only gas stations I am going to boycott are

a) the ones with no bathroom (or the ones with the key behind the counter, where you need to ask for permission to go to the bathroom)

2) the Shell stations which have those TVs that blare ads at me while I pump gas, and cannot be silenced

those are decisions made by the individual franchisee to hose the customer.  Short of defecating on their floor, this is my way of protesting.

Most agreed.  I'll add the following for boycotting,

3. The stations that are priced higher than the average for an area, and areas that are overpriced (see Chicago).

I boycott high gas prices.   :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on June 04, 2010, 03:19:23 PM
I boycott high gas prices.   :biggrin:

yes, that too.  there's a good reason why I don't get gas in Death Valley, which I believe is the most expensive gas station in the US.  The highest I've seen there is $6.35, when Bridgeport, CA was $5.15 and the general San Diego area was $4.60.

right now, with San Diego in general around $3.13, I'd imagine Bridgeport is high 3s and Death Valley is around $4.50.

jake@aaroads.com

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: corco on May 23, 2010, 01:03:05 AM
I may be the only person on the planet who isn't blaming BP at all for this

Who are you blaming?
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

corco

QuoteWho are you blaming?

A combination of the idiotic employee who allowed it to happen and the government  (not Democrats, not Republicans- just the government) for not holding the rig to higher standards

Crazy Volvo Guy

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you on that.  The gov't dropped the ball more than anyone in this, I'm afraid, since they allowed the drilling operation to go ahead with no emergency action plan in place.

Crazy Volvo Guy

'Nother thing: boycotting oil monsters is just silly.  As previously mentioned, they all have the same practices, this time it just happened to blow up in BP's face, but it could've been any of them.

2:  Due to the ownership structure, by boycotting an oil company, you're screwing the people in YOUR COMMUNITY who own those gas stations a hell of a lot more than you're actually screwing over BP.  For this reason, I choose NOT to boycott.

Not to mention the way stocks work...boycotting is a tricky task these days.

BigMattFromTexas

Actually me boycotting BP wouldn't do much good, cause theres not a gas station within 100 miles of Angelo...
BigMatt

US71

Quote from: corco on June 05, 2010, 09:39:34 PM
QuoteWho are you blaming?

A combination of the idiotic employee who allowed it to happen and the government  (not Democrats, not Republicans- just the government) for not holding the rig to higher standards

Don't forget BP's unwillingness to follow the rules, opting instead to buy off the government (much like they are doing now)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.