News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Game That NEEDS to be made!!!

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 01, 2010, 07:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

OK, so some game company NEEDS to make a game for highway building. They need to make it where you decide the number of lanes, the route number, the name of the route (as in ----- Memorial Freeway), the exits, the highway type, the multiplexes, the rest stops, idk, maybe the signage? You should also be able to build already known interchanges, or you could build your own(?), I would say that you could build the roads in any state, or you could go into a National mode thing and build the nations highways, you would build spur routes, loops, etc.

The game would come complete with the cities eh, maybe above a 100,000 population. You could either build expressways, or you could completely bypass a city. It would be completely up to YOU!

Sandbox mode: And if you're a avid spender, you could go into a "sandbox" mode. That's what I'd do, I'm a big fan of sandbox modes. ;)

Cheats: If you didn't dig sandbox mode, you could play some cheats, say name a highway "Cashy Bashy" (I don't know....), then it would provide you with like 2,000,000 dollars or something.

Rail: Also you'd be in charge of rail transit (if this is all you'd do then I'd suggest Railroad Tycoon"), you'd build light-rail tracks. You'd also build track across the country if you wanted to, you could build them almost anywhere.

Business routes/traffic problems: You could also build business routes, the city could also grow depending on how many roads you build, even though it's completely opposite in reality, and if you didn't build enough roads the city-folks would start getting mad, and complain about traffic problems. Oh and there would be little cars and real people, kinda like SimCity, but specifically for roads.

Toll roads: You would be able to build toll roads, if you were in a money spending mode, they would generate money for the DOT (you). Then you would control the price of the toll.

Rest stops: Every nice highway has to have at least one rest stop, you'd select the building you'd want, then you would build it.

Exits: You would control the exits, the interchanges, the rest stops (like I said above), and what ever you think of.

Signage: I'm not sure about this one, but in RCT3 there are electronic signs, and you control what they say, so I'm not sure why it would be any different for this game, only they wouldn't be electronic.

Service roads: I'm sure you'd just use a normal two-lane road for this...

There's some more stuff I've thought of, but I forgot it... Anyone else got any ideas for a game like this? I have no idea what it would be called. But oh well, I'm sure this game would prolly be like $1,000,000.03, but oh well, maybe I'll grow up and learn how to do this type of stuff, the I'll have it free, cause I made it. :happy:

*EDIT*: Best of all it would be 3D!!!

BigMatt

Crewdawg

Big Matt that sounds like a game that i would spend all my free time doing and not get any thing done. When can i get it!!

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: Crewdawg on July 01, 2010, 07:31:28 PM
Big Matt that sounds like a game that i would spend all my free time doing and not get any thing done. When can i get it!!

It'll prolly be out in about 9010. I might have to learn how to make games, then when I'm older I'll make it!!
BigMatt

Duke87

You don't need a computer game to manage and micromanage a transportation network. It can be done with something as simple as pen and paper. You have no idea how many hours of my life I've wasted drawing maps. :-P

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

I agree, this is needed.  Doubt it will ever be made though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

and no neutered interstate shields!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Closest things I can think of:

- SimTraffic, which allows one to design interchanges/intersections with traffic counts...but it is very abstract (all traffic counts have to be entered in manually, and there is no simulation of buildings/etc.)
- Kurumi's Me And the Roads, which is great for numbering your roads (except it really hated it when one tried to make a beltway ;) ), but everything is surface road and no intersection.
- The various SimCity games of course, though creating transport networks is almost secondary.

I remember playing years ago a game called "Mobility" where you had a small plot of land and the idea was to build "efficient" bus/metro systems, which was annoying as I had come up with expressway configurations not unlike San Francisco's Sunset Boulevard - wishing the AI would understand HOW TO USE such layouts. :p
Chris Sampang

xcellntbuy

Quote from: Duke87 on July 02, 2010, 11:21:54 AM
You don't need a computer game to manage and micromanage a transportation network. It can be done with something as simple as pen and paper. You have no idea how many hours of my life I've wasted drawing maps. :-P

I thought I was the only one who did that!

kj3400

You have no idea how much of my childhood I wasted doing that.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

TheStranger

Quote from: kj3400 on July 02, 2010, 03:29:45 PM

You have no idea how much of my childhood I wasted doing that.

Or mine. :D
Chris Sampang

BigMattFromTexas

Hahaha, I put a lot of thought into a game that'll never happen, haha.  ;-)
BigMatt

agentsteel53

I could write one in Flash, probably.  who wants to pay me?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: TheStranger on July 02, 2010, 01:12:24 PMThe various SimCity games of course, though creating transport networks is almost secondary.
It's very secondary.  Highways are practically an afterthought.  No control over lanes or interchanges - if you want anything other than a diamond, three way highway junction, or a cloverleaf, you're pretty much out of luck.  Mods that add more don't do so in a seamless way, either, requiring you to mess around with puzzle pieces and have scale problems.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

algorerhythms

That's an excellent idea, and a game that I would end up enjoying. I don't know how realistic it is, though... :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.