News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

SR 60 improvements in Riverside County coming in 2017

Started by nexus73, November 19, 2015, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=30142#.Vk3rF4eFPCY

Truckers driving on State Route 60 in Riverside County, Calif., between Gilman Springs Road and Jack Rabbit Trail may be getting their own lane. In cooperation with the California Department of Transportation, the Riverside County Transportation Commission is proposing an eastbound truck-climbing lane and westbound truck-descending lane on a 4.5-mile stretch of SR-60. Inside and outside standard shoulders in both directions are also part of the $138 million project, according to official Caltrans documents.

According to Joy Schneider, spokesperson for Caltrans, District 8, the suggested truck lanes were brought to the table as a safety project. "Currently you have two types of traffic. You have the faster moving cars and the slower moving trucks, both negotiating the same lanes, so it causes some congestion,"  Schneider told Land Line. "This will separate those two types of traffic and improve the safety of that portion of State Route 60, and it will also benefit with shorter travel times."  

According to project documents, the affected section of SR-60 has heavy commuter traffic due to high employment in Orange and Los Angeles counties. Large industrial and commercial centers in Los Angeles County and the Inland Empire, including Ontario International Airport, draws in heavy truck traffic. Caltrans predicts a significant increase in both freight and commuter traffic. Port traffic from the Port of Long Beach and Los Angeles runs through SR-60 in conjunction with several interstates, contributing to trucks accounting for 16 percent of the annual average daily traffic on SR-60. Increases in online purchases and new industrial and warehouse facilities in the Inland Empire are likely to increase commercial vehicle traffic in the area. Mountainous terrain, inside narrow shoulders, and a concrete median barrier have caused problems for passenger vehicles passing slower moving trucks.

With trucks already regulated to drive slower than other motorists, an uphill climb reduces truck speed even more, up to a 14 mph difference. On downgrade slopes, truck speed is also reduced for safety purposes. Caltrans crash data for the targeted westbound section of SR-60 reveal a rate more than twice that of total statewide crash rates. Eastbound SR-60 also reported a higher rate of crashes. Most crashes were either a rear-end collision or a hit object. Eastbound lanes experienced more sideswipes, consistent with more vehicles trying to pass trucks on a steep incline.

Less than 20 percent of crashes in either direction of SR-60 involved a tractor-trailer. However, more than 20 percent of reported crashes involved a pickup/panel truck. Primary factors in the majority of crashes were either speeding or an improper turn. Caltrans claims in the proposal that slowing vehicles were the cause of the large percentage of rear-end collisions. Narrow shoulders were blamed for the crashes from hit objects. Volume of trucks, speeding, and difficulty overtaking vehicles resulted in the majority of all crashes, according to Caltrans documents.

A 0.5-cent sales tax will fund a portion of the costs, with state and federal funds also contributing. According to Schneider, Caltrans hopes to begin the project in mid-2017 and complete the lanes by early 2020.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

The Ghostbuster

This is further east than this project, but are they ever going to upgrade the eastern-most portion of SR 60 to full freeway standards? That is, the portion east of Jack Rabbit Trail.

nexus73

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2015, 04:42:11 PM
This is further east than this project, but are they ever going to upgrade the eastern-most portion of SR 60 to full freeway standards? That is, the portion east of Jack Rabbit Trail.

That section of 60 was obsolete back in the Seventies when I was stationed at March AFB.  The truck problem existed back then.  It sure takes Caltrans a long time to wake up, smell the coffee and get something done.  The two tunnels on 1 south of Pacifica is a project that took over 30 years. 

...and people wonder why I go off!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

skluth

Thread bump

Riverside County announced they will finally be widening CA 60 through the Badlands. Project construction will occur from June 2019 to late approximately late 2021. From July 2019 to December 2019, one westbound lane will be fully closed to allow the contractor to widen the roadway. These are the upgrades expected upon completion of the project.

• Constructing an eastbound truck climbing lane
  • Constructing a westbound truck descending lane
  • Widening shoulders to standard widths — 12-foot exterior shoulders and 11-foot interior shoulders
  • Establishing 2 wildlife crossings and placing wildlife fencing
  • Improving motorist sight distance by flattening roadway curves
Rejoicing could be heard across the Inland Empire and Coachella Valley.

sparker

Quote from: skluth on June 15, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
Thread bump

Riverside County announced they will finally be widening CA 60 through the Badlands. Project construction will occur from June 2019 to late approximately late 2021. From July 2019 to December 2019, one westbound lane will be fully closed to allow the contractor to widen the roadway. These are the upgrades expected upon completion of the project.

• Widening shoulders to standard widths — 12-foot exterior shoulders and 11-foot interior shoulders

Any info on whether the remaining at-grade intersections west of the I-10 junction are slated for elimination (via separation or full interchange) as part of this project -- or possibly in a later phase?

brad2971

Quote from: sparker on June 15, 2019, 03:40:32 PM
Quote from: skluth on June 15, 2019, 12:21:35 PM
Thread bump

• Widening shoulders to standard widths – 12-foot exterior shoulders and 11-foot interior shoulders

Any info on whether the remaining at-grade intersections west of the I-10 junction are slated for elimination (via separation or full interchange) as part of this project -- or possibly in a later phase?

This link shows what's being worked on east of Jack Rabbit Trl: https://beaumontca.gov/index.aspx?NID=992&ART=2615&ADMIN=1

sparker

Quote from: brad2971 on June 15, 2019, 05:17:08 PM
This link shows what's being worked on east of Jack Rabbit Trl: https://beaumontca.gov/index.aspx?NID=992&ART=2615&ADMIN=1

From the text and the illustration, it seems (ironically) that the planned overpass and crossing road has more capacity than CA 60; it's more than likely that there are plans afoot for even more housing development in that area;  the San Gorgonio Pass area, particularly Beaumont and the upper San Timoteo Canyon has seen a significant population increase in the last decade or so, and it appears that Western Knolls road is being extended/expanded to serve such development. 

The press release addressing the new interchange cites Jack Rabbit Trail as a control point to the west; since that road also intersects CA 60 at grade presently, is it also slated for an interchange?   

ClassicHasClass

^^^

Can't imagine why, the road barely goes anywhere now and the only use I ever see is CHP parked there to nab people coming down the grade. It's just a big washboarded mess. My guess is at some point they build a frontage road to hook it up to the new interchange and close off the current wye.

sparker

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 16, 2019, 06:45:42 PM
^^^

Can't imagine why, the road barely goes anywhere now and the only use I ever see is CHP parked there to nab people coming down the grade. It's just a big washboarded mess. My guess is at some point they build a frontage road to hook it up to the new interchange and close off the current wye.

That sounds about right, unless a RIRO (or a pair of short ramps with the same function) is planned.   At the risk of seeming to ask one question after another, could the new construction be construed as either (a) simply taking care of some longstanding safety issues on the corridor or (b) actually upgrading the entirety of CA 60 to a full freeway?   Since it doesn't appear from the project description nor the overpass illustration that there will be a widening/capacity increase of the facility, it would be useful to know just how much of an overall upgrade is planned in the near term.

skluth

Quote from: sparker on June 17, 2019, 03:29:47 AM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 16, 2019, 06:45:42 PM
^^^

That sounds about right, unless a RIRO (or a pair of short ramps with the same function) is planned.   At the risk of seeming to ask one question after another, could the new construction be construed as either (a) simply taking care of some longstanding safety issues on the corridor or (b) actually upgrading the entirety of CA 60 to a full freeway?   Since it doesn't appear from the project description nor the overpass illustration that there will be a widening/capacity increase of the facility, it would be useful to know just how much of an overall upgrade is planned in the near term.

It's definitely A. Not sure about B. The RCTC doesn't mention a freeway upgrade, so there's a good chance it will still have some access. The upgrade to three lanes each way will be incredibly helpful as anyone who's traveled that stretch of highway knows. I usually take I-10 because it's no fun getting caught behind one truck trying to pass another at 45 mph. (Congestion on I-215/CA 60 through Riverside is also a reason to avoid it.)

That they are straightening curves and building a couple wildlife crossings means traffic should flow smoothly with less fear of random critters becoming roadkill. If they eliminate the crossings, I can live with a couple RIRO points. They're not as bad as the RIRO off the Arroyo Seco.

sprjus4

I'd like to see them complete CA-60 to interstate standards to I-10. No reason they should just leave a few right in right outs or access points. Especially with the development heading out that way, and a future 6-lane of the road, a freeway is warranted.

Could even become an I-x10 between I-10 and I-215.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 17, 2019, 11:41:21 AM
I'd like to see them complete CA-60 to interstate standards to I-10. No reason they should just leave a few right in right outs or access points. Especially with the development heading out that way, and a future 6-lane of the road, a freeway is warranted.

If Caltrans is unwilling (or unable) to expedite the extension of I-210 over CA 210 (the 2-3 mile narrow-shoulder stretch in San Bernardino notwithstanding), there's no reason to believe that they'd consider redesignating CA 60 as something like "I-610" (the most "natural" or logical number).  Technically, they could have done so from downtown L.A out to I-215 years ago, but AFAIK that has never been under consideration at any point.  The reality is that it would be a relatively pointless exercise -- unlike 210, which is (a) a logical extension of an existing Interstate, and (b) an actual bypass or even "shortcut".  Plenty of drivers are already using CA 60, despite the substandard and often harrowing trip through the Badlands, as a cutoff to Riverside, Corona, and OC from the Coachella Valley and points beyond; slapping an Interstate shield on it wouldn't likely affect much of anything.  If 60 is eventually upgraded to full freeway standards over time, fine -- the traffic counts certainly warrant that.  But there's no pressing need to seek Interstate status for the route -- it'll attract its share of traffic regardless of designation type.

sprjus4

Quote from: sparker on June 17, 2019, 01:34:50 PM

If Caltrans is unwilling (or unable) to expedite the extension of I-210 over CA 210 (the 2-3 mile narrow-shoulder stretch in San Bernardino notwithstanding), there's no reason to believe that they'd consider redesignating CA 60 as something like "I-610" (the most "natural" or logical number).  Technically, they could have done so from downtown L.A out to I-215 years ago, but AFAIK that has never been under consideration at any point.  The reality is that it would be a relatively pointless exercise -- unlike 210, which is (a) a logical extension of an existing Interstate, and (b) an actual bypass or even "shortcut".  Plenty of drivers are already using CA 60, despite the substandard and often harrowing trip through the Badlands, as a cutoff to Riverside, Corona, and OC from the Coachella Valley and points beyond; slapping an Interstate shield on it wouldn't likely affect much of anything.  If 60 is eventually upgraded to full freeway standards over time, fine -- the traffic counts certainly warrant that.  But there's no pressing need to seek Interstate status for the route -- it'll attract its share of traffic regardless of designation type.
The most important part is obviously upgrading it out to interstate standards. Interstate designation or not, whatever, that was just a concept. A CA-60 freeway east of the Badlands exists and this would just be an extension to I-10, following an existing, heavily used route. Similar to the CA-99 upgrades when they widened it to 6 lanes up north. Used to have some right in right outs and a few cross roads that were removed & replaced by overpasses & interchanges when expanded to 6 lanes.

dbz77

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 17, 2019, 01:43:09 PM
Quote from: sparker on June 17, 2019, 01:34:50 PM

The most important part is obviously upgrading it out to interstate standards. Interstate designation or not, whatever, that was just a concept. A CA-60 freeway east of the Badlands exists and this would just be an extension to I-10, following an existing, heavily used route. Similar to the CA-99 upgrades when they widened it to 6 lanes up north. Used to have some right in right outs and a few cross roads that were removed & replaced by overpasses & interchanges when expanded to 6 lanes.
If it is full freeway and terminates at I-10 at both ends, just name it I-610

skluth

Quote from: dbz77 on June 19, 2019, 11:05:51 PM
If it is full freeway and terminates at I-10 at both ends, just name it I-610

• Not every freeway needs to be an interstate. California has shown no interest in promoting several freeways into interstates. See CA 57, CA 91, CA 210, etc.
  • Discussions on renumbering highways are found in Fictional Highways. There are numerous renumbering schemes proposed that you may be interested in or you can add your own to add to the discussions.

JustDrive

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2015, 04:42:11 PM

The interchange with Potrero Avenue is almost finished, which would remove the Western Knolls Ave at-grade interchange west of Beaumont.

skluth

The 60 Swarm closings are switching directions this weekend. The westbound Pomona (60) Freeway between Riverside and Ontario will be shut down tonight at 10 p.m. between the 60/91/215 interchange in Riverside and Interstate 15 in Ontario. It will be reopened at 5 am Monday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.