News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

California

Started by andy3175, July 20, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on June 20, 2019, 05:18:30 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 19, 2019, 10:44:32 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 19, 2019, 09:31:48 PM
They may not have been producing route markers, but they definitely still produced signs. This is a nice timeline: http://www.caltrafficsigns.com/chronology.php

That's interesting, way more in line with what I thought the timeline would really look like.  I always wonder how long the ACSC and CSAA were allowed to go off the reservation signing state highways on non-state maintained roads.  The practice appeared at least on paper until circa 1938 state Highway maps. 

The signage chronology omits one detail:  the smaller "bear" shields, by that time all white enamel/porcelain on steel with button copy numerals, were no longer produced after 1953; instead a larger and wider shield with only "California" arched over the number -- but still black on white -- started to be deployed.  Earlier versions maintained the white enamel and button copy; around 1959 the switch was made to reflective signs rather than button copy, maintaining the larger size.  These signs displayed an "off-white" or "eggshell" background color rather than the bright white of the previous button-copy shields.  The size and format continued after 1964 for state highways, but with green replacing the off-white and white replacing black for the state name and route number.   

I feel like I've seen several mid-1950s photos of the Four-Level where Route 11 was signed with the bear shield at the ramps off US 101. 

It's actually amazing how few photographs exist of the 1953-1964 white version of the modern shield layout.  I know MarkF's profile photo here is a late-50s Route 78 sign in that style, that's one of the few photos of the design that come to mind.
Chris Sampang

sparker

^^^^^^^^
There were plenty of sign assemblies along the older L.A. freeways in the mid-50's that did feature the older shields -- both the "bear" shields for SSR's and the state-name shields for US routes; both the Arroyo Seco PArkway/Pasadena Freeway and the Hollywood Freeway had plenty of these for all the routes feeding into the 4-level.  While the new sans-bear larger shields were introduced in 1953 (the same year the 4-level opened), including the US highway version, there were obviously plenty of the older shields in stock, since they were prominent on not only the freeways cited above but also the older sections of the Santa Ana and San Bernardino freeways (out to about Lakewood Blvd. on the former and the Garvey Ave. exit on the latter, onto which US 60/70/99 diverged for years until the freeway was completed each of there.  I don't think there was a BYPASS US 101 shield assembly on the Santa Ana Freeway (US 101 was shifted to that freeway after its extension beyond Lakewood/SSR 19) that used anything but the old state-named signs.  The first freeway I can remember to regularly feature the new signs was the southern extension of the Harbor Freeway beyond about Adams Blvd. ca. 1957; the new bright-white/button copy US 6 shields started showing up there and on the remainder of the freeway as it was built toward San Pedro.  The new signage format was applied to the Golden State Freeway on its first section around Glendale; here, there was nothing but new-format signage for US 6 and US 99 -- and SSR 134 as well on the multiplexed section between Colorado St. and Alameda Ave.   This included the Colorado Street freeway extension, which carried US 99/6/SSR 134 signage from 1957 to early 1961, when the freeway was opened south to US 66.   When the freeway was extended through downtown Burbank up to Burbank Blvd., the new US 99 & US 6 shields continued there as well.  I-5 shields didn't appear on that freeway until the northern extension out to Lankershim Blvd. was opened in late '60, about 6 months prior to the southern extension to US 66, which also got I-5 shields.  The Glendale/Burbank section wasn't retrofitted with I-5 shields until late 1963, when the entire freeway had been completed from the ELA interchange to the original 1955 4-lane section in Newhall Pass.  It should be noted that the sections of that freeway that originally got I-5 shields were also posted with the newest US 99 shields -- off-white and reflectorized.  When I-5 was posted on the Glendale/Burbank section, US 99 got the new-style shields as well -- but US 6 retained the old button-copy larger format -- but remember that this was 1963, after it had been decided (pre-renumbering, of course) to shift US 6 over to the Hollywood Freeway extension (prompting the US 6 designation on Lankershim Blvd. on '63 Gousha maps) -- so D7 elected not to put new-style US 6 shields on a freeway segment that wouldn't be carrying that route number for much longer.  New reflectorized US 6 shields were prominently displayed on sign assemblies north of the future Hollywood Freeway merge in Arleta, though -- the part that if renumbering hadn't interfered, would have retained US 6 within the multiplex.   

Since the whole "new white shield" deployment was over an approximately 10-year period ('53-'63), D7 -- and likely the other 10 districts as well -- probably had plenty of the old shields left in their corporate-yard inventories and didn't hesitate to deploy them as needed until they ran out of stock, at which time they simply shifted to the new style.  But they probably were under instruction to apply the new shield style to new freeways, where the larger format could be more readily seen at speed.  Eventually even the older central L.A. "radial" freeways were retrofitted with the large shields by 1959-60, but stragglers remained, particularly on the Hollywood Freeway (I saw old state-named US 101 shields over Cahuenga Pass as late as 1963).   BTW, it was rare for surface streets to see retrofitting with either variation of the '53-spec signs; if they were signed with state-named US shields or "bear" SSR signage, those mostly stayed up until the renumbering, when the "green" state signs became standard.  Even then, if the designation of a particular surface route had not changed, replacement with new shields took some time; some old shields remained intact until into the early '70's.

bing101

andy3175

News that the Badlands section of SR60 is getting widened. I think cahighways had some articles about this project in one of his earlier blog posts but wanted to call it out for what could be a significant change to this combination expressway-freeway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Traffic-Stops-to-Be-Expected-on-60-Freeway-Due-to-Expansion-Project--511315172.html%3famp=y

Quote from the article:

Drivers using the Moreno Valley (60) Freeway between Beaumont and Moreno Valley next week should be prepared for nightly delays as crews set up safety barriers for a two-year expansion project along a 4.5-mile stretch of the freeway. ...

The $106 million State Route 60 Truck Lanes Project, overseen by Skanska USA, is slated to continue until the end of 2021 and will entail installing specially designated truck lanes for safety and to reduce congestion through a sparsely populated area known as the Badlands, marked by steep hills and no freeway frontage roads.

A single collision on either side of the narrow four-lane segment has been known to tie up traffic for hours, forcing the CHP to divert motorists back into Beaumont or Moreno Valley, depending on which way they're headed.

In addition to adding a truck lane on each side of the freeway, crews will flatten several of the most curvy road sections to improve motorists' visibility, and will widen freeway shoulders to 12 feet along the outside lanes, and 11 feet on the inside lanes, adjacent to the center divider.

The contract further calls for construction of 23 wildlife crossings beneath the corridor, as well as fencing on either side to prevent animals from straying into traffic.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on July 01, 2019, 07:16:16 PM
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article232147612.html

California to have the high gas tax due to the new law.

I'm surprised that it took so long for news agencies to pick up stories on the increase, the response has more less from I observed has been "meh, that's California."   At minimum things could be way worse when gas prices were approaching $5 dollars a gallon earlier in the decade.  Prices now factoring inflation are still less than they were during the height of the gas/oil crunches of the 1980s.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: andy3175 on July 01, 2019, 07:54:01 PM
News that the Badlands section of SR60 is getting widened. I think cahighways had some articles about this project in one of his earlier blog posts but wanted to call it out for what could be a significant change to this combination expressway-freeway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Traffic-Stops-to-Be-Expected-on-60-Freeway-Due-to-Expansion-Project--511315172.html%3famp=y

Quote from the article:

Drivers using the Moreno Valley (60) Freeway between Beaumont and Moreno Valley next week should be prepared for nightly delays as crews set up safety barriers for a two-year expansion project along a 4.5-mile stretch of the freeway. ...

The $106 million State Route 60 Truck Lanes Project, overseen by Skanska USA, is slated to continue until the end of 2021 and will entail installing specially designated truck lanes for safety and to reduce congestion through a sparsely populated area known as the Badlands, marked by steep hills and no freeway frontage roads.

A single collision on either side of the narrow four-lane segment has been known to tie up traffic for hours, forcing the CHP to divert motorists back into Beaumont or Moreno Valley, depending on which way they're headed.

In addition to adding a truck lane on each side of the freeway, crews will flatten several of the most curvy road sections to improve motorists' visibility, and will widen freeway shoulders to 12 feet along the outside lanes, and 11 feet on the inside lanes, adjacent to the center divider.

The contract further calls for construction of 23 wildlife crossings beneath the corridor, as well as fencing on either side to prevent animals from straying into traffic.

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Well that's well overdue, any word if that last at-grade segment near I-10 is finally getting sealed up or converted to full limited access?

Techknow

Quote from: bing101 on July 01, 2019, 07:16:16 PM
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/article232147612.html

California to have the high gas tax due to the new law.
There was no new law passed that caused gas taxes to rise 5.6 cents today. The law in question is the original Senate Bill 1 approved in 2017 that first rose the excise tax by 12 cents in November that year. According to the bill text, the rate is now 18 cents instead (7360. (a) (1)) and will increase further when July 1 comes again.

skluth

Quote from: andy3175 on July 01, 2019, 07:54:01 PM

As a Palm Springs resident, this can't happen soon enough. It's already being covered in this thread

Max Rockatansky

Visited a ton of stuff today:

-  The Lodi Mission Arch
-  CA 104
-  The 1910 Newcastle Subway and 1932 Newcastle Tunnel
-  CA 193
-  CA 244
-  CA 160 (even the relinquished parts in Sacramento)
-  County Route J4

So far I only have two albums up and ready to go:

Lodi Mission Arch

https://flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/sets/72157709458738316

CA 104

https://flickr.com/photos/151828809@N08/sets/72157709458818191

The Lodi Arch is a pretty grand design.  I find it surprising that something like that has only been restored once since 1907.  CA 104 is a quiet route that goes through Ione which just happens to be one of the most chilled out of the Gold Rush Towns.  There is no signed multiplex on CA 88 but signage does pick up again in Martell.  Too bad 104 never made it on East Ridge Road, it already serves as the de facto bypass of Jackson.

Max Rockatansky

Here are the other photo albums from yesterday:

CA 193

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmERVDLD

-  This was the most interesting route of the day by far.  The alignment through the South Fork American River is crazy steep on both ends of the river.  Georgetown was a nice place to visit, I find the whole story about the entire downtown being moved pretty intriguing.   I noticed that the Georgetown Divide segment of CA 193 has a lot of streets with animal themed names.  CA 193 multiplexes CA 49 and I-80 to Newcastle but isn't signed.  The CA 49 multiple through the Middle Fork American River is always nice and has views of the Forest Hill Bridge.  Newcastle is unique in that it has the 1910 Newcastle Subway which was the route of the North Lincoln Highway and early US 40.  The nearby 1932 Newcastle Tunnel was the later replacement US 40 utilized to bypass the community.  The terminus of CA 193 is extremely odd since it dead ends in the middle of nowhere in Lincoln.  All and all I think CA 193 is extremely underrated as a scenic state highway. 

CA 244

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmERUN4D

-  CA 244 is a tiny mile long freeway connecting to I-80 and CA 51.  CA 244 was never completed to full planned scope but nonetheless is a fully fledged freeway with post miles. 

CA 160

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmES2MuC

-  I drove the entire route of CA 160 including the relinquished segment in Sacramento.  The North Sacramento Freeway has a unique old US Route look to it which makes sense since it was part of US 40/99E.  The former through route though Sacramento is well organized and flows traffic good for an urban highway...too bad it isn't signed anymore.  For reference heading south the last alignment of CA 160 in Sacramento was; 12th Street, F Street, 15th Street, Broadway and Freeport Boulevard.  CA 160 in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta is one of the most unique highways in the state with lots of draw spans and levees.  CA 24 still seems like it would have been a better fit here than in the Bay Area.

CR J4

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmES4VpB

-  This route is a total mess and I'd thought it would be way more interesting after visiting Banta.  A small segment of J4 through Banta was the early alignment of the Lincoln Highway.  I suppose the Southern Pacific rail car was worth the effort to stop.  All and all I'm left with the opinion that CA 239 was one of those routes that warranted actually being built. 

CA 49 Plymouth Roundabout

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmES4VpB

-  This roundabout was just completed in Plymouth at J16.  The design is a little off and didn't appear to be much of an improvement to the conventional conjunction which existed previously.

skluth

There was obviously road damage from the Ridgecrest quake. I'm hoping there won't be enough damage to warrant its own thread.

From KTLA - Rockslide Forces Closure of Kern County Highway Following Magnitude 7.1 Quake. The worst damage was on Highway 178 which is closed between Bakersfield and Lake Isabella. I don't know of any other closures.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on July 07, 2019, 08:58:10 PM
There was obviously road damage from the Ridgecrest quake. I'm hoping there won't be enough damage to warrant its own thread.

From KTLA - Rockslide Forces Closure of Kern County Highway Following Magnitude 7.1 Quake. The worst damage was on Highway 178 which is closed between Bakersfield and Lake Isabella. I don't know of any other closures.

There was another section of 178 near Trona which had some damage also.  Looking at the Quickmap it appears that CA 178 Kern River Canyon has reopened already.  Aside from some damaged Navy Station roads in China Lake I haven't seen much remarkable damage. 

TheStranger

Here's a random thought that I felt fit this thread:

What is the most important California state route that was never a US route (or Interstate)? 

Obviously Route 99 and Route 58 are high up on the importance list for state routes but both are former US route corridors so it made me curious what the most important state-only corridor has been.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on July 08, 2019, 11:24:49 PM

What is the most important California state route that was never a US route (or Interstate)? 

Obviously Route 99 and Route 58 are high up on the importance list for state routes but both are former US route corridors so it made me curious what the most important state-only corridor has been.

Some that come to mind for me which might include some multiplexes of US Routes/Interstate:

-  CA 49 for the scenic and historic value in addition to a pretty rural but reasonable crossing of the Sierras via Yuba Pass. 
-  CA 88 (I don't count the temporary US 50 stuff as official) for the all-year weather pass in the Sierras.
-  CA 41 always had a huge length and was the primary road into Yosemite National Park from the south.
-  CA 89 for the length and access to places Lake Tahoe, Monitor Pass in addition to Lassen Volcanic National Park.
-  CA 152 for the important crossing via Pacheco Pass and major roadway in San Joaquin Valley.
-  CA 198 due to access for Sequoia National Park and becoming a major limited access roadway in San Joaquin Valley.
-  CA 178 has huge significance importance with Walker Pass and all-year mountain crossing access.  CA 178 was even more important when it extended all the way to San Margarita.
-  CA 180 for being a major arterial road in Fresno, a planned Trans-Sierra Highway and primary access to Kings Canyon National Park.
-  CA 140 for all year access to Yosemite on one of the newer corridors in the Sierras.
-  CA 18 for access to places like Big Bear and being highly scenic.
-  CA 138 was already an important State Highway before it extended through Cajon Pass over what was CA 2.
-  CA 190 has a massive scale as a planned Trans-Sierra Highway on the Lone Pine-Porterville High Sierra Road but even the constructed segment east of the Sierras is a primary access point for Mojave Desert.

DTComposer

^^
I'd certainly add the original section of CA-1 (Las Cruces to Leggett) to that list (short multiplexes of US-101 notwithstanding).

I think it isn't really possible to declare one the "most important", since the major N-S corridors are all current or former US or Interstate routes and, because of the shape of the state, the E-W corridors are all basically laterals, important to that section of California, but not to other sections several hundred miles to the north or south. Also, there are very few E-W single-route corridors that make it all the way from the coast, over the Coast Ranges, across the valley, over the Sierra, and into Nevada/Arizona.

But for the ones Max listed, I'd narrow them down to CA-88, CA-41, CA-152. I'd add CA-180 if it was ever completed to I-5.

Techknow

I think CA 1, despite having a signed concurrency with I-280 and plans to make Park Presidio Blvd a freeway. Except for Point Reyes and its north end it follows much of the state coast and provides access to countless towns, beaches and parks. Economical and tourism wise, I'd say it's the most important. Definitely among the most scenic, and certainly the longest!

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2019, 11:59:18 PM

Some that come to mind for me which might include some multiplexes of US Routes/Interstate:

-  CA 49 for the scenic and historic value in addition to a pretty rural but reasonable crossing of the Sierras via Yuba Pass. 
-  CA 88 (I don't count the temporary US 50 stuff as official) for the all-year weather pass in the Sierras.
-  CA 41 always had a huge length and was the primary road into Yosemite National Park from the south.
-  CA 89 for the length and access to places Lake Tahoe, Monitor Pass in addition to Lassen Volcanic National Park.
-  CA 152 for the important crossing via Pacheco Pass and major roadway in San Joaquin Valley.
-  CA 198 due to access for Sequoia National Park and becoming a major limited access roadway in San Joaquin Valley.
-  CA 178 has huge significance importance with Walker Pass and all-year mountain crossing access.  CA 178 was even more important when it extended all the way to San Margarita.
-  CA 180 for being a major arterial road in Fresno, a planned Trans-Sierra Highway and primary access to Kings Canyon National Park.
-  CA 140 for all year access to Yosemite on one of the newer corridors in the Sierras.
-  CA 18 for access to places like Big Bear and being highly scenic.
-  CA 138 was already an important State Highway before it extended through Cajon Pass over what was CA 2.
-  CA 190 has a massive scale as a planned Trans-Sierra Highway on the Lone Pine-Porterville High Sierra Road but even the constructed segment east of the Sierras is a primary access point for Mojave Desert.

I'd add CA 20 to that list; it comes close to making it clear across the state; provides egress from I-80 to much of the Sacramento Valley, serves several smaller population centers: Grass Valley/Nevada City, Marysville/Yuba City, Clear Lake, and Willits (and comes damn close to Ukiah). 

ClassicHasClass

CA 36 maybe as well? It hits some lonely areas but it gets across most of the state too.

GaryA

CA 17 between San Jose and Santa Cruz.

Probably CA 152 between US 101 and I-5.

CA-76 and/or CA-78, perhaps.

Would CA 134 count?  There are a few other SoCal freeways that qualify and might or might not be considered "important".

TheStranger

Quote from: GaryA on July 09, 2019, 11:08:31 AM

Would CA 134 count?  There are a few other SoCal freeways that qualify and might or might not be considered "important".

State route freeways in general are an interesting case - outside of 99/58, most of them are not particularly lengthy, but certainly 134 is important, as is 55, 57, 24, 22, to name a few others.

29 is the main street of wine country pretty much, and 37 covers an important North Bay commute corridor.
Chris Sampang

GaryA

Quote from: TheStranger on July 09, 2019, 12:41:06 PM

State route freeways in general are an interesting case - outside of 99/58, most of them are not particularly lengthy, but certainly 134 is important, as is 55, 57, 24, 22, to name a few others.

29 is the main street of wine country pretty much, and 37 covers an important North Bay commute corridor.

I'd add the San Mateo Bridge portion of CA 92 -- probably also the Dumbarton Bridge portion of CA 84.

CA 49, more for the symbolic and tourist value.  CA 1 from SLO to SF could also be included for those.

Gary

sparker

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 09, 2019, 08:48:05 AM
CA 36 maybe as well? It hits some lonely areas but it gets across most of the state too.

Between US 101 and I-5 CA 36's AADT is virtually negligible; but the remainder of the route is a main E-W path across the NE portion of the state.  If taken in combination with CA 44 to the north, it's the pathway for much of the traffic from Reno to I-5.  Interestingly, the 36/44/89 combination route from Susanville to I-5 at Mt. Shasta is a primary path for Reno-bound travelers from OR and WA, particularly non-adventurous types who want to stay on I-5 for as long as practical.  The times I've used that corridor I observed plenty of WA and OR plates on vehicles -- especially RV's.  Once particular Cadillac actually rear-ended me at the 89/299 intersection (on SB 89) back in the late '80's; it was a retired Navy noncom from the Bangor (WA) area who was, with his wife, heading toward Reno for some gambling & shows.  Fortunately he was well insured!

Max Rockatansky

I thought about CA 4 until I recalled that west of Martinez it was the defacto route of US 40 before the Carquinez Bridge was built.  CA 12 has a lot of value moving traffic over the Delta and has some substantial length to it. 

mrsman

Colorado Street between figueroa and Pasadena was once part of us 66 so I think it's disqualified.

Nexus 5X

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on July 09, 2019, 08:13:50 PM

Colorado Street between figueroa and Pasadena was once part of us 66 so I think it's disqualified.

Nexus 5X

Yes, 66 would have been there first.  Supposedly 134 was signed first in 1935 but I can't find it on any map publication until 1938.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.