News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Why is Caltrans using porcelain overhead freeway (highway) signs?

Started by ACSCmapscollector, May 05, 2019, 06:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

:confused:

Now I am really confused with two things: 1. Why is Caltrans using porcelain overhead freeway (highway) signs?  and 2. Why is Caltrans not placing the freeway names on the Los Angeles Freeway System?  Is this a state wide thing or just local, i want to know the answers, please.

ACSCroadmapcollector

Max Rockatansky

The enamel signs were mostly installed in the Mid-20th Century.  As far as I know the most recent enamel shields BGSs were put up in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  Pretty much the new signage is the typical vinyl assortment one would expect.  Regarding the freeway names around Los Angeles a couple are still signed but it hasn't been a common practice to emphasize them over the route number for a long time. 

Here is a sign displaying the name "San Diego Freeway"  on I-405 south that I saw the other day:

https://flic.kr/p/2fDMHMS

Max Rockatansky

Something additional I'll note; on a national level freeway names have largely been deemphasized over actual route numbers.  Some places I can think of off the top of my head where freeway names are still just as common to hear in regular usage would be Detroit and Chicago.  Florida tends to have an even split on limited access toll roads between people who use the name of the road versus the number.  Personally I tend to prefer using the route number more than a name.  Many names freeways carry multiple route numbers which never made sense as a practice to me. 

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

oscar

Quote from: 1 on May 05, 2019, 08:41:13 PM
Why aren't you using your existing account?

There seem to be two of them, both also beginning with "ACSC". All three ACSC__ accounts are at least three years old.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: oscar on May 05, 2019, 08:51:33 PM

There seem to be two of them, both also beginning with "ACSC". All three ACSC__ accounts are at least three years old.

No there are two accounts with ACSC name, the "s" I have used is plural for "maps".  It is just because the password is hard to remember when it comes to Personal Computer technology and the internet, something that bothers other people as well, including Christopher Barnett of Explainingcomputers.com for example, and on his Youtube channel too. The other one is not recognized by this website at all with the word "love" in it.

ACSCmapscollector

SoCal Kid

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2019, 06:48:54 PM
The enamel signs were mostly installed in the Mid-20th Century.  As far as I know the most recent enamel shields BGSs were put up in the late 1990s and early 2000s.  Pretty much the new signage is the typical vinyl assortment one would expect.  Regarding the freeway names around Los Angeles a couple are still signed but it hasn't been a common practice to emphasize them over the route number for a long time. 

Here is a sign displaying the name "San Diego Freeway"  on I-405 south that I saw the other day:

There is also another one of those SD Fwy signs on the ramp from US 101 South to I-405 South
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ACSCmapscollector on May 05, 2019, 09:12:25 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 05, 2019, 08:51:33 PM

No there are two accounts with ACSC name, the "s" I have used is plural for "maps".  It is just because the password is hard to remember when it comes to Personal Computer technology and the internet, something that bothers other people as well, including Christopher Barnett of Explainingcomputers.com for example, and on his Youtube channel too. The other one is not recognized by this website at all with the word "love" in it.

ACSCmapscollector

I'm sure you could just ask a moderator to reset your passcode.  If I'm not mistaken there is a "forgot password"  feature. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 05, 2019, 09:15:14 PM

There is also another one of those SD Fwy signs on the ramp from US 101 South to I-405 South

I want to say Ventura Freeway signage is common also but I'm shooting from the hip on memory with that assumption. 

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 05, 2019, 09:24:13 PM
Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 05, 2019, 09:15:14 PM

I want to say Ventura Freeway signage is common also but I'm shooting from the hip on memory with that assumption. 

Password changed, thank you for the advice Max.

cahwyguy

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on May 05, 2019, 09:12:25 PM
It is just because the password is hard to remember when it comes to Personal Computer technology and the internet, something that bothers other people as well, including...

OK, so I'm putting on my Cyberprofessional hat here, as opposed to my California Highways hat. GET YOURSELF A PASSWORD MANAGER. Nowadays, this is the recommendation of every cybersecurity person (and will be in the next version of the NIST controls). Have long complex passwords, and let your password manager remember them. I'm using Lastpass, which allows me to access my vault on multiple machines and my phones, and it make life really easy. Also use to to remember all those password hints. Set it up for 2 factor authentication with a good authenticator app. Set it up on your phone for fingerprint recognition, and password recovery.

The issue of not being able to remember your passwords is so last century.

(Puts back on his highway hat)
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

roadman

The porcelain signs were made by a company called California Metal Enameling Company, or Cameo.  Outside of California, the only installs of Cameo signs I've seen "in the wild" are the original directional signs on the entrance ramp to the Mass Pike from Route 128 (now I-95) in Weston, which were installed when the Turnpike Extension was built and lasted until the mid-1990s sign upgrade projects.  I have some brochures and a salesman's sample (button copy 'e' on green porcelain with extruded aluminum backing) from the company that I saved from the dumpster about 15 years ago when our section relocated to a different floor.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ACSCmapcollector

EDIT: Removed double quote. –roadfro

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 09, 2019, 12:13:11 PM
It is just because the password is hard to remember when it comes to Personal Computer technology and the internet, something that bothers other people as well, including...

OK, so I'm putting on my Cyberprofessional hat here, as opposed to my California Highways hat. GET YOURSELF A PASSWORD MANAGER. Nowadays, this is the recommendation of every cybersecurity person (and will be in the next version of the NIST controls). Have long complex passwords, and let your password manager remember them. I'm using Lastpass, which allows me to access my vault on multiple machines and my phones, and it make life really easy. Also use to to remember all those password hints. Set it up for 2 factor authentication with a good authenticator app. Set it up on your phone for fingerprint recognition, and password recovery.

There is no real need for that password remembering, because I have an Autism since I was 3 years old, and I have Nortons 360, you advice would complicate things for me. Sorry that is how I feel.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: cahwyguy on May 09, 2019, 12:13:11 PM

I use a desktop personal computer and a Apple Ipod Touch 5th generation.  No need to explain where my position is on technology, this is a said and done deal for me. No more please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.