News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

CA 126

Started by Max Rockatansky, June 20, 2019, 11:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I recently drove a segment of CA 126 from Fillmore east into Santa Clarita.  CA 126 on the surface is pretty straight forward but once incorporated a segment of the original portion of US 99 through Newhall.  Between Santa Paula east to I-5 the route of CA 126 has been gradually upgraded on roadways that are essentially close to the original alignments (granted there are some variances along with abandoned bridges).  On the western side of the highway CA 126 appears to have briefly incorporated part of former US 101 in Ventura before being shifted to the Santa Paula Freeway.  I had never taken CA 126 eastbound before this past trip, suffice to say heading towards Santa Clarita was quite scenic.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2019/06/california-state-route-126-from-ca-23.html

JustDrive

The section east of Fillmore was notorious for head-on collisions about 25-30 years ago, before Caltrans widened that stretch. Also, at the intersection of Thompson Blvd and Main Street, there used to be a sign that pointed to both EB 126 to Santa Paula and SB 101 to Los Angeles, though as far as I know, 101 and 126 weren't co-signed in Ventura, since Telegraph Road (which begins where Thompson ends) used to be the main route through the Santa Clara River Valley.

mrsman

Quote from: JustDrive on June 22, 2019, 01:36:05 AM
The section east of Fillmore was notorious for head-on collisions about 25-30 years ago, before Caltrans widened that stretch. Also, at the intersection of Thompson Blvd and Main Street, there used to be a sign that pointed to both EB 126 to Santa Paula and SB 101 to Los Angeles, though as far as I know, 101 and 126 weren't co-signed in Ventura, since Telegraph Road (which begins where Thompson ends) used to be the main route through the Santa Clara River Valley.

I do remember those days.  Aside from the freeway section, CA-126 was a 2 lane road, 1 lane in each direction.  It was the first time that I remember seeing a sign directing drivers to put their headlights on during the day.

I think there is enough traffic to justify an upgrade to "US 101 treatment" - meaning  a median with guardrail, limited turns at intersections, and no more traffic signals.  There may need to be a freeway bypass of Fillmore.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on June 23, 2019, 08:28:33 PM
Quote from: JustDrive on June 22, 2019, 01:36:05 AM

I do remember those days.  Aside from the freeway section, CA-126 was a 2 lane road, 1 lane in each direction.  It was the first time that I remember seeing a sign directing drivers to put their headlights on during the day.

I think there is enough traffic to justify an upgrade to "US 101 treatment" - meaning  a median with guardrail, limited turns at intersections, and no more traffic signals.  There may need to be a freeway bypass of Fillmore.

What I find interesting about CA 126 is that the surface portions are essentially close analogs to how the highway has always has been but engineered to the fullest degree without true limited access.  Obviously there was far bigger things planned for the Santa Paula Freeway which would have been a handy connection between US 101 and I-5 as a full freeway.  Really as things the only way to go is mimic the design of the expressway segments of US 101.

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2019, 08:44:51 PM

What I find interesting about CA 126 is that the surface portions are essentially close analogs to how the highway has always has been but engineered to the fullest degree without true limited access.  Obviously there was far bigger things planned for the Santa Paula Freeway which would have been a handy connection between US 101 and I-5 as a full freeway.  Really as things the only way to go is mimic the design of the expressway segments of US 101.

The four-lane undivided expressway setup from about Santa Paula to near Santa Clarita fascinates me as it reminds me a lot more of say, US 183 south of Lampasas, TX, than it does a Caltrans four-lane rural thoroughfare, the latter tending to be divided, dual carriageway (i.e. Route 99 north of Sacramento up to the 70/99 split).  I'm surprised a barrier hasn't been put up through most of it.
Chris Sampang

Gulol

Before 126 was truncated at I-5, I remember it being co-signed with I-5 down to Magic Mountain Parkway, then it went over to (I think) Railroad Avenue and down to San Fernando Rd where it ended at CA-14.  The gantry sign headed south on CA 14 read as CA 126 San Fernando Rd - Ventura but read only as CA 126 San Fernando Rd on the gantry if you were going NB on CA-14.

Also, I thought the flyover ramp exit from CA 14 NB for Sierra Hwy/Canyon Country was originally supposed to be the location CA 126 Freeway terminus had it been extended from I-5.  Might be wrong on that though ...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Gulol on June 24, 2019, 10:15:49 AM
Before 126 was truncated at I-5, I remember it being co-signed with I-5 down to Magic Mountain Parkway, then it went over to (I think) Railroad Avenue and down to San Fernando Rd where it ended at CA-14.  The gantry sign headed south on CA 14 read as CA 126 San Fernando Rd - Ventura but read only as CA 126 San Fernando Rd on the gantry if you were going NB on CA-14.

Also, I thought the flyover ramp exit from CA 14 NB for Sierra Hwy/Canyon Country was originally supposed to be the location CA 126 Freeway terminus had it been extended from I-5.  Might be wrong on that though ...

Regarding Magic Mountain Parkway and Railroad Avenue those were the original alignment of US 99 before The Old Road was built.  Suffice to say those roadways got their mileage over the years in longevity for being state maintained. 

sparker

Quote from: Gulol on June 24, 2019, 10:15:49 AM

You're not wrong -- that was the initial phase for the CA 126 freeway's interchange with CA 14 prior to the route being deleted from the state freeway & expressway system east of I-5.

RZF

It's interesting (and very erroneous) how the exit at Commerce Center Dr in Santa Clarita is signed as "Exit 13". It should be signed as "Exit 39". Do any of you know why this is the case?

don1991

Quote from: RZF on July 01, 2019, 02:50:59 PM
It's interesting (and very erroneous) how the exit at Commerce Center Dr in Santa Clarita is signed as "Exit 13". It should be signed as "Exit 39". Do any of you know why this is the case?

I'm glad someone else has noticed this.  Has driven me nuts since the interchange was built (though I'm glad it was built).  This should be Exit 39 or 40 or so.  I think this was just a giant error by Caltrans and I'm not sure how much attention anyone pays to this. Someone just erroneously assumed that since Exit 12 was the end of the freeway in Santa Paula, why not Exit 13 for the new interchange?  Someone forgot that we use a mileage-based system here in California - west to east, south to north.

I tried e-mailing someone tonight at Caltrans.  We'll see if it goes anywhere...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.