I-895 (Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway)

Started by cpzilliacus, November 07, 2014, 09:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Press release: Tutor Perini Announces Low Bid for the $189 Million Canton Viaduct Replacement Project

QuoteTutor Perini Corporation (NYSE: TPC), a leading civil, building and specialty construction company, today announced that the Company has been identified by the Maryland Transportation Authority as the low bidder for the Replacement of the Canton Viaduct I-895 Over I-95 Ramps, Railroads and City Streets and Rehabilitation of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and Tunnel Approaches. The anticipated contract value is approximately $189.4 million, and contract award is expected later in the fourth quarter of 2017.

QuoteThe project scope of work includes the removal and replacement of an approximately 3,200-foot-long bridge structure on the north side of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, as well as tunnel rehabilitation. Work on the project is expected to commence in March 2018 with substantial completion anticipated by June 2021.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 28, 2017, 09:54:16 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 28, 2017, 12:14:31 AM
They didn't have jet fans back then, not sure when the first was installed, but part of what made them feasible was vast reductions in motor vehicle pollutants enabled by advancing technology.
I think the first "jet" fan I  saw in the  U.S. was on the PTC's "new" Lehigh Tunnel (the tube that normally carries southbound traffic (though I think PTC can run two-way traffic in most or all of its tunnels if needed, as the crossover ramps are there).
Getting back to the BHT, I do not think MDTA is going away from its "traditional" approach to tunnel ventilation using plenums and fan buildings.
Anyone looked at the plans for the CBBTD's new Thimble Shoal Tunnel? 

Hampton Roads area tunnels all followed the "traditional" approach to tunnel ventilation, until the ERT project where all 4 tubes have jet fans.  I'm not sure whether the various costs and benefits, on the balance, are substantially different or whether they are close.

I don't see detailed CBBT plans on their website, but they do have a cross-section here --
http://www.cbbt.com/project-description/

The finished product will look more modern compared to its '60s-era companions.  It will be similar to the new Midtown Tunnel, completed last year, with bright LED lights, hanging electronic signs, jet fans and a separate fire exit corridor.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

TheOneKEA

The MDTA project page for the Patapsco Flats bridge redecking doesn't have any clear timeline information posted. When is that project expected to be done?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on February 19, 2018, 07:35:37 PM
The MDTA project page for the Patapsco Flats bridge redecking doesn't have any clear timeline information posted. When is that project expected to be done?

Crossed Patapsco Flats last week.  Looked to me like the contractor (McLean) was pretty close to having the northbound side of the bridge replaced, which means that there will likely be a traffic shift this spring. 

To your question, I do not know when this will be done.  Does it really matter? IMO, it will overlap with the Canton Viaduct replacement and repair work in the tubes, which  is where the real traffic impact will be.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

It's about to get real on I-895.

MDTA press release:  **AVOID I-895**
MAJOR ROADWORK
COMING TO I-895 IN BALTIMORE
Use I-695/Key Bridge or I-95/Fort McHenry Tunnel as Alternate Routes

QuoteOn Nov. 27, northbound I-895 will close completely for one year from the north side of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel to the Boston/O'Donnell Street exit ramp (Exit 11).

QuoteTwo-way traffic — one lane in each direction — will operate on southbound I-895.

QuoteThe I-895/Holabird Avenue exit ramp (Exit 10) will close completely during this time.

QuoteAdditionally, the northbound bore of the Harbor Tunnel will close 24/7 for 60 days in spring 2019 with two-way traffic operating in the southbound bore. 

QuoteNorthbound I-895 and the Holabird Avenue exit ramp will reopen to traffic in spring 2020.

Quote"This I-895 Bridge is the MDTA's only remaining structurally deficient bridge,"  said MDTA Executive Director Kevin C. Reigrut.  "We ask our customers to be patient as we deliver this long-overdue project and remind motorists to drive safely through work zones."

Beltway

Major work to the tunnel as well.  Not just the bridge in the $189 million cost.

"The MDTA's $189 million I-895 Bridge Project will replace the I-895 bridge located north of the Harbor Tunnel.  Work includes replacing the Holabird Avenue exit ramp and rehabilitating the Harbor Tunnel, including repairs to the tunnel portal, approach ramps and walls, deck and tiles."

(Robert Coté, 2002)

MASTERNC

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 09, 2018, 11:55:48 PM
It's about to get real on I-895.

MDTA press release:  **AVOID I-895**
MAJOR ROADWORK
COMING TO I-895 IN BALTIMORE
Use I-695/Key Bridge or I-95/Fort McHenry Tunnel as Alternate Routes

QuoteOn Nov. 27, northbound I-895 will close completely for one year from the north side of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel to the Boston/O'Donnell Street exit ramp (Exit 11).

QuoteTwo-way traffic — one lane in each direction — will operate on southbound I-895.

QuoteThe I-895/Holabird Avenue exit ramp (Exit 10) will close completely during this time.

QuoteAdditionally, the northbound bore of the Harbor Tunnel will close 24/7 for 60 days in spring 2019 with two-way traffic operating in the southbound bore. 

QuoteNorthbound I-895 and the Holabird Avenue exit ramp will reopen to traffic in spring 2020.

Quote"This I-895 Bridge is the MDTA's only remaining structurally deficient bridge,"  said MDTA Executive Director Kevin C. Reigrut.  "We ask our customers to be patient as we deliver this long-overdue project and remind motorists to drive safely through work zones."

Strange thing is they don't advertise that speed cameras will be used (the signs are up but covered).  Come to think of it, they have been lazy announcing cameras being introduced to other work zones via press releases lately (they just pop up on the program's page).

D-Dey65

Quote from: mtantillo on November 13, 2014, 11:12:47 PM
Yeah, once you start detouring everyone, people will quickly discover that I-695 north of the city is free, even with more traffic. MdTA doesn't want that.
Free or not, it's going to add more time to my next trip to NYC. For the past 4 trips, I've been taking the standard DC Detour along VA 207, US 301, MD 3, I-97, and the I-895 Spurs (what the hell is up with those anyway?) before getting onto the Harbor Tunnel Thruway. It appears that the next time I do that I'll have to get off at I-695.

I'll probably take the Francis Scott Key Bridge, because I don't want to go their other way and have to look at the stupid truncating of I-70 and I-83 as I'm driving by there. It's bad enough I'd have to look at it from I-95.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 12, 2018, 11:08:01 AM
Strange thing is they don't advertise that speed cameras will be used (the signs are up but covered).  Come to think of it, they have been lazy announcing cameras being introduced to other work zones via press releases lately (they just pop up on the program's page).

But Maryland is good about  announcing speed cameras in work zones, with plenty of signage ahead of construction zones with photo radar speed limit enforcement.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on November 10, 2018, 12:26:36 AM
Major work to the tunnel as well.  Not just the bridge in the $189 million cost.

The MDTA's contractor is going to hydro-demolish an inch or two or more (do not recall exactly how much) of the tunnel deck surfaces and pour new latex-modifed concrete in its place.  This is something that MDTA likes to do on the roads and bridges that it maintains (MDOT/SHA does not normally use this approach).

MASTERNC

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 12, 2018, 08:12:59 PM

But Maryland is good about  announcing speed cameras in work zones, with plenty of signage ahead of construction zones with photo radar speed limit enforcement.

Yes, but think the law says they have to announce and/or post online.

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 12, 2018, 04:16:04 PM
Yeah, once you start detouring everyone, people will quickly discover that I-695 north of the city is free, even with more traffic. MdTA doesn't want that.
Free or not, it's going to add more time to my next trip to NYC. For the past 4 trips, I've been taking the standard DC Detour along VA 207, US 301, MD 3, I-97, and the I-895 Spurs (what the hell is up with those anyway?) before getting onto the Harbor Tunnel Thruway. It appears that the next time I do that I'll have to get off at I-695.

I'll probably take the Francis Scott Key Bridge, because I don't want to go their other way and have to look at the stupid truncating of I-70 and I-83 as I'm driving by there. It's bad enough I'd have to look at it from I-95.

Have you considered going over the Bay Bridge and up the Eastern Shore instead?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 12, 2018, 09:26:14 PM

Just saw on another forum that the DE US-301 tollroad will open next month.  That means no more 2-lane bottleneck.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

D-Dey65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 12, 2018, 04:16:04 PM

I've done that. It's an even longer trip.

NJRoadfan

I've done both I-95 straight, US-50/MD-3/I-97/I-895, and US-50/301 on my return trips from NC (all diverging from the Capital Beltway). All are about the same assuming no accidents or slowdowns. US-301 on the eastern shore seems like it goes on forever due to the 55mph speed limit and farms, but its hasn't been any slower time-wise. Its also a tad more relaxing to drive as opposed to the JFK Highway rat race.

Beltway

Quote from: NJRoadfan on November 13, 2018, 05:50:28 PM
I've done both I-95 straight, US-50/MD-3/I-97/I-895, and US-50/301 on my return trips from NC (all diverging from the Capital Beltway). All are about the same assuming no accidents or slowdowns. US-301 on the eastern shore seems like it goes on forever due to the 55mph speed limit and farms, but its hasn't been any slower time-wise. Its also a tad more relaxing to drive as opposed to the JFK Highway rat race.

The DE US-301 tollroad will open next month, and that should shave up to 10 minutes off of the trip during peak hours.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Henry

IIRC, this will be the first major project for the tunnel and its approaches since shortly after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Henry on November 14, 2018, 09:37:48 AM
IIRC, this will be the first major project for the tunnel and its approaches since shortly after the Fort McHenry Tunnel opened in 1985.

Yes, not long after the FMT (I-95 Fort McHenry  Tunnel) opened to traffic, MDTA closed one tube of the BHT (I-895 Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) for a significant amount of heavy maintenance and reconstruction work, including a total replacement of the tunnel deck (so the current deck dates to the period 1985 to about 1988) and replacement of the tiles and the lighting system. 

All BHT traffic had to drive on the two lanes of the other tube during this project, but because the capacity of the FMT had been added, there was little delay.

ixnay

Quote from: Beltway on November 12, 2018, 09:42:44 PM

Just saw on another forum that the DE US-301 tollroad will open next month.  That means no more 2-lane bottleneck.

Got a link to that forum and that thread?

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Beltway

Quote from: ixnay on November 15, 2018, 09:03:30 PM
Quote from: Beltway on November 12, 2018, 09:42:44 PM
Got a link to that forum and that thread?
ixnay

It was on Facebook, I think the Southeast Roads forum. 

Press Release -- October 24, 2018
TRAFFIC ALERT - Traffic Switch on US 301 Northbound for Maryland Motorists Middletown (New Castle County) --
https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/index.shtml?dc=release&id=7370

"... the entire mainline of US 301 is open in late December 2018, pending weather."

U.S. Route 301 Construction
https://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/us301/

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Sun: Construction on I-895 in Baltimore to cause major traffic problems for the next three years.

QuoteThe commutes of tens of thousands of people will be disrupted for the next few years as Maryland replaces the Interstate 895 bridge north of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.

QuoteThe Maryland Transportation Authority plans to limit that part of the expressway to one lane in each direction starting later this month for the $189 million project to replace the 60-year-old bridge.

QuoteThe northbound lanes of I-895 will close from the tunnel to O'Donnell Street on Nov. 27 – the Tuesday after Thanksgiving – and the two southbound lanes will be converted to two-way traffic through spring 2020. Once the northbound span has been rebuilt, it will carry two-way traffic through spring 2021 while the southbound span is replaced.

TheOneKEA

The MDTA has rented every single large billboard along I-95 and I-895 to advertise the upcoming construction project. They have extensive signage alongside the carriageway that also advertises the project and the expected disruption to traffic.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on November 24, 2018, 03:06:44 PM
The MDTA has rented every single large billboard along I-95 and I-895 to advertise the upcoming construction project. They have extensive signage alongside the carriageway that also advertises the project and the expected disruption to traffic.

In years past, a project like this would be considered a "Baltimore" project and not get much attention down I-95 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. 

Not now.  All-news WTOP radio in Washington has been mentioning it, and ran an article on their Web site earlier this month:  Major highway closure through Baltimore set for next 2 years.

cpzilliacus

It appears that (at least for now) there will only be speed camera enforcement on the southbound side, south of O'Donnell Street, near the north landing of the Canton Viaduct.  Saw no evidence that there is northbound speed enforcement planned with automated equipment.

abefroman329

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 24, 2018, 05:52:33 PM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on November 24, 2018, 03:06:44 PM

In years past, a project like this would be considered a "Baltimore" project and not get much attention down I-95 and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. 

Not now.  All-news WTOP radio in Washington has been mentioning it, and ran an article on their Web site earlier this month:  Major highway closure through Baltimore set for next 2 years.
Are there a significant number of people living in DC and commuting to Baltimore these days? There were quite a few people who lived in Baltimore and commuted to DC when I lived in DC (I considered doing it on many occasions).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.