News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speed limits in Google Maps app

Started by abefroman329, January 22, 2019, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I was using the iOS Google Maps app in the Hot Springs, AR area over the weekend, and I noticed that, on some stretches of highway I was on, there was a widget in the bottom-left corner with the speed limit for that stretch of road.  It didn't seem like it covered long stretches of any highway.  Is this a budding new feature?  If so, it's a welcome addition.

kphoger

Yes, it's a new feature rolling out.  Supposedly, it also gives an audible alert when approaching a speed camera.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Yes Google Maps is finally incorporating elements/features of the Google-acquired app Waze into its interface.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2019, 03:44:13 PMSupposedly, it also gives an audible alert when approaching a speed camera.
I'm sure LEOs will be tickled pink.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 04:30:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2019, 03:44:13 PMSupposedly, it also gives an audible alert when approaching a speed camera.

Those road hazards (and yes, in the median with their noses and tails sticking into traffic, they are) should be marked on any and all Waze-type maps until they can learn to do real patrol instead of hanging about in the median.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on January 22, 2019, 04:31:35 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 22, 2019, 04:30:07 PM

Those road hazards (and yes, in the median with their noses and tails sticking into traffic, they are) should be marked on any and all Waze-type maps until they can learn to do real patrol instead of hanging about in the median.
I thought kphoger was talking about automated speed cameras.

SectorZ

I can confirm it works in Google Maps via Android Auto as well. App updated Thursday and I realized it driving on Friday night.

roadman65

I wonder what those in Lawtely, FL and Starke, FL will say :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

I wish maps did it on the website and not just the gps.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 25, 2019, 09:01:23 AM
It's a hell of a lot less useful on the website than the smartphone apps.

Are they soliciting user data? I just drove on a stretch of road in Evanston where I drove past a sign where the speed limit dropped to 25, but Google Maps still said the speed limit was 30.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 25, 2019, 09:45:44 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 25, 2019, 09:01:23 AM
It's a hell of a lot less useful on the website than the smartphone apps.

Are they soliciting user data? I just drove on a stretch of road in Evanston where I drove past a sign where the speed limit dropped to 25, but Google Maps still said the speed limit was 30.
I just would like to see it out of curiosity
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LM117

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2019, 10:31:41 PM
I wonder what those in Lawtely, FL and Starke, FL will say :bigass:

Or Virginia. :hyper:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.