News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road composition - material used

Started by 12C, August 10, 2013, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12C

Various road compositions have been experimented with over the years.
The section of Hwy 17, between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos California that was finished in August 2012 is smooth and quiet - even after a year. However, I have a cause of concern as my car was recently hit in the back in that location by a car that skidded a unusually considerable distance. I also went into a prolonged skid while some construction was going on and traffic was very slow for that highway - approx 30 mph. Last week, I was absolutely astounded by how far I skidded while going approx 40 mph -right into a suddenly  stopped car 200 feet in front of me. My car was totalled. This was all in summer, dry (of course - it never rains here in the summertime) conditions, with Yokohama tires which had 3/4 tread left. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in well over 30 years of driving. I don't drink - ever, I don't smoke; I'm a goody two shoes. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'm also curious about the type of pavement used; it appears to be unique.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.