AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly  (Read 1122656 times)

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Arlington, VA | Vancouver, BC
  • Last Login: Today at 03:15:44 PM
    • Flickr
Re: Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly
« Reply #1825 on: February 12, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »

Kinda crazy looking:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0872336,-76.0875188,3a,17.3y,300.16h,97.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb2hRoW-3C1TwzTV5csJkuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reminds me of this: https://goo.gl/maps/QNzUo4iZkZ12

I guess it could just depend on where in the country you are, but signs like those (more of Zeffy's type) aren't particularly uncommon in BC...

http://i.imgur.com/IdaqU70.png

Nova Scotia does the same thing, here's an example from NS 14 at NS 224 near the 102 at Milford:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.0551601,-63.4399811,3a,75y,308.9h,89.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR5THnqMhegNqmtKpZbPB_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nova Scotia's roundabout arrows even have the little rounded corners where the individual arrows stick out, just like on the UK roundabout signs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 04:36:34 PM by jakeroot »
Check out my Flickr  |  Comments which I make here do not reflect positions of the University of Washington ("UW"), anyone employed by UW, nor any other students of UW. All comments are my own, and reflect my own ridiculous opinions.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 11:40:37 AM
« Reply #1826 on: February 12, 2016, 04:30:25 PM »

Here's a set of tiny unisigns in Dixon, Illinois, I passed by today: https://goo.gl/maps/Bs3VekmVkoJ2
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 01:03:01 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #1827 on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »

I saw this thing while doing a little research on US 23 in Georgia. This sign obviously defies MUTCD-standards, but I'd hate to see it go.

It's at the south end of Short Street East and Main Street, just west of that area where US 23 runs along the alignment of Main Street and Jeffersonville Road.

SignGeek101

• Winnipeg sign geek and civil engineering student.

• Last Login: July 19, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
« Reply #1828 on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:44 PM »

I saw this thing while doing a little research on US 23 in Georgia. This sign obviously defies MUTCD-standards, but I'd hate to see it go.

It's at the south end of Short Street East and Main Street, just west of that area where US 23 runs along the alignment of Main Street and Jeffersonville Road.

Looks like they took a lesson from Quebec. That's their standard for that type of sign.
https://goo.gl/maps/4JJE5YDdY4w

I found this one interesting. Ground mounted 'EXIT ONLY', white on yellow border, and non-official use of Clearview (current standards in Alberta is everything Clearview). Arrow looks narrow as well.

And nearby, this very interesting seat belt sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/MpeGAEfTmsw

theFXexpert

• Last Login: April 25, 2016, 02:46:03 PM
« Reply #1829 on: February 15, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »

The city of Bradenton, FL installed those signs at most T intersections adjacent to the river.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 03:00:39 PM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #1830 on: February 15, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »

The city of Bradenton, FL installed those signs at most T intersections adjacent to the river.

You can find a few of these signs around the neighborhoods of Minneapolis.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:54 PM
« Reply #1831 on: February 15, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »

Those might not be the MUTCD standard, but they are the Canadian standard.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

• Winnipeg sign geek and civil engineering student.

• Last Login: July 19, 2018, 09:05:19 PM
« Reply #1832 on: February 15, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »

Those might not be the MUTCD standard, but they are the Quebec standard.

FTFY. Quebec likes to differentiate itself from the rest of Canada by changing many of its signs, like that one posted above.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2010827,-59.9572041,3a,16.5y,199.51h,87.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_eQ1uTfEMcxsqr0vYxGStA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's Canadian standard. You'll find those commonly throughout the country (except in Quebec). Why a checkerboard is used, I don't know. This one is near my house.

https://goo.gl/maps/reHpx15UTY62

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:31 PM

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: Today at 02:12:18 PM
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:52:46 PM by noelbotevera »
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 02:55:51 PM
« Reply #1835 on: February 15, 2016, 08:59:17 PM »

^^ The expressway section of US 53 in Wisconsin has such signs every 5 miles, again with the large mileage.

jay8g

• Last Login: July 25, 2021, 03:11:27 AM

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:13 AM

bzakharin

• Last Login: Today at 12:51:32 PM
« Reply #1838 on: February 16, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »

This just seems like an excuse for poor design

On-the-cheap conversion of 4-lane to interstate.

So do you have to stop before accelerating or after?

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 02:04:13 AM
« Reply #1839 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:02 PM »

Come to a full stop before the limit line, then accelerate along the shoulder and merge.

I was wrong calling this an interstate, it's WA 16.

jakeroot

• Flickr
« Reply #1840 on: February 16, 2016, 10:09:36 PM »

Come to a full stop before the limit line, then accelerate along the shoulder and merge.

Is it even a shoulder? Seems to me that the shoulder just disappears for a few moments at that point. Lots of states delete the shoulder for a few moments to insert an acceleration lane. I'm guessing they used the term "shoulder" because residents who used the old configuration still think that area is, in fact, a shoulder.

FWIW, acceleration lanes like this are pretty unusual in most regions of Washington.
Check out my Flickr  |  Comments which I make here do not reflect positions of the University of Washington ("UW"), anyone employed by UW, nor any other students of UW. All comments are my own, and reflect my own ridiculous opinions.

jay8g

• Last Login: July 25, 2021, 03:11:27 AM
« Reply #1841 on: February 16, 2016, 11:23:53 PM »

Is it even a shoulder? Seems to me that the shoulder just disappears for a few moments at that point. Lots of states delete the shoulder for a few moments to insert an acceleration lane. I'm guessing they used the term "shoulder" because residents who used the old configuration still think that area is, in fact, a shoulder.

FWIW, acceleration lanes like this are pretty unusual in most regions of Washington.

Before the repaving it still kind of looked like a shoulder. Now it looks like a (really cheap) acceleration lane, but the sign still seems to be there.

bzakharin

• Last Login: Today at 12:51:32 PM
« Reply #1842 on: February 17, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

It's just that I've never seen a stop sign before an acceleration lane. You either have a stop or (more typically)  yield sign at the merge point with regular travel lanes. And it doesn't make sense in context either. There is no traffic to stop for at the location where the stop sign is. The "acceleration lane" is only available to traffic entering from that road.

cl94

« Reply #1843 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »

It's just that I've never seen a stop sign before an acceleration lane. You either have a stop or (more typically)  yield sign at the merge point with regular travel lanes. And it doesn't make sense in context either. There is no traffic to stop for at the location where the stop sign is. The "acceleration lane" is only available to traffic entering from that road.

I've seen it in New York. Trying to remember where.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

• Last Login: July 26, 2021, 10:38:59 PM
« Reply #1844 on: February 17, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

There are a few around, I'm sure.  I'm betting on the parkways (e.g., Saw Mill, Grand Central, etc.).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 03:16:11 PM
« Reply #1845 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »

I have seen this ramp configuration frequently used on divided highways/dual carriageways designed to relaxed standards that allow "compact" interchanges.  Here's an overseas example:

A34 on-slip near Weston-on-the-Green

The feature that is unusual at this location on Washington SR 16 is requiring a complete stop before barrelling down the acceleration lane.  The lane is short, however, and cannot easily be extended because of the left-hand curve just past the merge taper.  The stop sign therefore appears to reflect an engineer's judgment that it is better to force entering traffic to wait for a gap than to build on momentum coming out of the turn, keep the throttle to the floor, and hope there is room to merge when the lane ends.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

« Reply #1846 on: February 17, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »

There are a few around, I'm sure.  I'm betting on the parkways (e.g., Saw Mill, Grand Central, etc.).

The Hutch used to have one heading SB at King Street on the New York side. I'm certain of that because I had cousins that lived a short distance from there and it was quite unusual. It is no longer there.

And I completely forgot about this one on the ramp from the Thruway SB to the Saw Mill SB. We would sometimes use it to bypass the Yonkers tolls when visiting my grandfather in Park Slope.

jakeroot

• Flickr
« Reply #1847 on: February 18, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »

This style of lane-assignment sign is common in California, and some other states such as Nevada and Washington, but I've never seen one with three lefts and a U-turn arrow. There are more than a few triple lefts in California, but most run parallel to part-time protected rights, so most ban U-turns. This intersection is unique in that the right turns are performed via channelized slip lanes, so the U-turns and right turns do not interfere with one-another, thus a U-turn is permitted from all approaches, including this one.

Roseville, California -- Galleria Blvd @ Roseville Pkwy

Pete from Boston

• Location: Massachusetts, and all the roads radiating out of it
  • Last Login: Today at 02:57:50 PM
Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly
« Reply #1848 on: February 19, 2016, 11:31:12 PM »

Paterson Ave., Little Falls, New Jersey:

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:37:59 PM by Pete from Boston »

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:31 PM
« Reply #1849 on: February 20, 2016, 07:48:58 PM »

Paterson Ave., Little Falls, New Jersey:

Why save time by using existing signs when you can just waste more time making something custom?

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.