News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 15, 2014, 01:48:57 AM
Even though this is perceived to be a pile of fail because of the color, I'd actually like that better than green because it closely identifies with the interstate than green does. That's just me thinking outside of the MUTCD's tightening box.
[/quote

The sign is not meant to align to a specific route type, but is more for guidance of the motorist--hence the green color. "Freeway entrance" is not a motorist service (like food or gas), nor a driver information sign (like highway radio or travel times) that would normally be on blue.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Brandon

Plainfield, IL.  Eastbound on IL-126.

Make of it what you will.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

PHLBOS

Pardon the grainy GSV, but I saw this unique sign at the intersection of Podunk & Shore Roads in East Brookfield, MA.

Interesting style house number/address shield along Franklin St. (MA 181) in Bondsville, MA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

6a

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Zeffy on August 29, 2014, 06:11:11 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2014, 05:56:01 PM
Different, Manteno, Illinois:

Is "C.H. 9" supposed to be County Highway 9, or...?

Probably, but I don't see why they don't just put a county highway shield on the sign  :confused:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jeffandnicole

"Hey Johnny...we need a Route 611 South sign made up."

"Whatever you say boss!"

freebrickproductions

Here's one in Huntsville:

Custom One Way Sign? by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I bet a lot of y'all don't see this on a regular basis:

Welcome To Alabama by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

The size of the numbers on this speed limit sign seems a bit small:

Weird Speed Limit 35 Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

sammi

Similar to the last sign, there's a speed limit sign on eastbound Highway 7 (York RR 7, Old ON 7) at Helen St in Vaughan that's too big but with the right sized numbers, resulting in a similar amount of space around the '60'. If Street View had an updated image, I'd post it here.

cl94

Continuing the bad speed limit signs, this was (unfortunately) the standard on town-maintained roads in Queensbury, NY until 10-15 years ago. Until around then, the town also used tiny, nonreflective street name blades that carried over to county roads. Those became larger and more legible when they went retroreflective. Somewhat related, all signs in the second link except for the name blades are county installs showing how Warren County likes using Z-bars.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

relaxok

Accidentally posted this in Best Of..  has anybody ever seen another of these signs?!  Almost every draw bridge I've seen has a normal traffic light with a typical yellow warning sign saying 'DRAW BRIDGE AHEAD' in the vicinity.

roadfro

Quote from: relaxok on September 03, 2014, 01:07:50 AM
Accidentally posted this in Best Of..  has anybody ever seen another of these signs?!  Almost every draw bridge I've seen has a normal traffic light with a typical yellow warning sign saying 'DRAW BRIDGE AHEAD' in the vicinity.

In the background, there appears to be a red/white gate arm. To me, that legitimizes the use of these rail signals (and really, the traffic concept is a similar application here). MUTCD allows traffic signals and/or gates/flashers.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 02, 2014, 10:51:39 PM
I bet a lot of y'all don't see this on a regular basis:

Welcome To Alabama by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I've seen a few of these around Huntsville (and obviously, a few other places around the country):

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

fungus

jakeroot

Quote from: fungus on September 04, 2014, 02:14:30 PM
"Caution - Limited Sight" in Santa Cruz, CA (hat tip to Richard Masoner - https://twitter.com/cyclelicious/status/498925381886291968)

Great sign. Halfway to fully symbolic, which is my own personal goal for warning signs.

1995hoo

You can find signs like this on the Dulles Greenway in Virginia. A local woman spent $3,000 to have four of them manufactured and posted along the highway after she was unable to rescue a turtle crossing the road from being squashed.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

I like this.  I agree that since railroads and drawbridges have the same effect on traffic, they should have similar traffic control.

6a

Quote from: mrsman on September 07, 2014, 08:41:24 AM

I like this.  I agree that since railroads and drawbridges have the same effect on traffic, they should have similar traffic control.

How about jets? :bigass:

jakeroot

Quote from: 6a on September 07, 2014, 02:01:17 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 07, 2014, 08:41:24 AM

How about jets? :bigass:

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6223/6330490782_00a62e0e88_z.jpg

That reminds me of something out of Russia.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on September 07, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

That's way too verbose.  STOP WHEN FLASHING should be the most conspicuous thing, possibly in red & white, then JET BLAST AREA in black on yellow to explain why.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

RG407

Quote from: formulanone on September 03, 2014, 05:18:59 PM

I've seen a few of these around Huntsville (and obviously, a few other places around the country):

I've seen plenty with just a single duck, but never with ducklings.  It's very cute!

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jakeroot

I'm getting tired of all these variations...how about a standard sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.