Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

No idea where to put this, but this is pretty ugly looking...

I wonder what size the '40' is. This shields look to be 48" tall, so I'm guessing that it's around 24", which looks ugly as hell. The numbers are practically bleeding into the border.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

A bit of Aussie influence in Honolulu:

[Street View]

Scott5114

Quote from: Zeffy on September 29, 2014, 01:22:54 PM

I wonder what size the '40' is. This shields look to be 48" tall, so I'm guessing that it's around 24", which looks ugly as hell. The numbers are practically bleeding into the border.

Also note the lack of a margin between the legend and the border. Also, it's always weird to see "Oklahoma City" spelled out on a sign, since most of the time it's only used as a control city inside of Oklahoma, which consistently abbreviates it as "Okla. City".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bassoon1986

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 29, 2014, 01:22:54 PM

Also note the lack of a margin between the legend and the border. Also, it's always weird to see "Oklahoma City" spelled out on a sign, since most of the time it's only used as a control city inside of Oklahoma, which consistently abbreviates it as "Okla. City".

It's also used and spelled out in each of the surrounding states, right? I know I remember seeing Oklahoma City at the convergence of 35W and 35E when I lived in north Texas. Amarillo and Wichita probably have it too.

Brandon

Found this on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Only place I've ever seen one of them.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

It's a shame the symbols are so small they're unreadable. One would have to know what the symbol looks like at high speed to understand it.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2014, 08:14:33 AM
It's a shame the symbols are so small they're unreadable. One would have to know what the symbol looks like at high speed to understand it.

Most HazMat certified people do.  I could read them, but I've been trained in it.  However, the photo came out a bit blurrier than I wanted.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Tom958

Crossposted from the Georgia forum:

Erected last week, just beyond this fine APL sign...

...is this. It's located right where the optional lane actually splits, i.e. is 24+ feet wide. So, instead one one big splitting arrow as on the previous sign, there are two big non-splitting ones. It extends the logic of using two black-on-yellow arrows to indicate one compulsory and one optional exit lanes, which I already freakin' hate. And I hate this, too, though I'd be OK with it if the optional lane arrow didn't have an exit only legend:

Here's the previous scheme, which had issues of its own. In particular, there's the two arrows on the pullthrough when there are actually three lanes for I-75 there. It may be that the third lane wasn't indicated because it ends a half mile or so downstream.

vdeane

This traffic light on US 9 in Hudson, NY.  Unfortunately my photo is blurry due to the rain, but the sign says "left only on green ball".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Billy F 1988

Uh, oh! Big problem. If that is supposed to be an RYG-arrow phase, then why is the first one pointing up and the other pointing to the right? Very Alanland-ish and this very much pays homage to the once-mighty Alanland.

All Alanland aside, the bonehead who put this up is gonna get an earful from someone because this kind of setup is asking for an accident waiting to happen at any second. You could have been one of the unfortunate people having your car wiped out in the very lane that is SUPPOSED TO BE left-on-green-arrow, not STRAIGHT THRU OR RIGHT TURN on LEFT GREEN ARROW.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

cl94

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 05, 2014, 03:46:24 PM
Uh, oh! Big problem. If that is supposed to be an RYG-arrow phase, then why is the first one pointing up and the other pointing to the right? Very Alanland-ish and this very much pays homage to the once-mighty Alanland.

All Alanland aside, the bonehead who put this up is gonna get an earful from someone because this kind of setup is asking for an accident waiting to happen at any second. You could have been one of the unfortunate people having your car wiped out in the very lane that is SUPPOSED TO BE left-on-green-arrow, not STRAIGHT THRU OR RIGHT TURN on LEFT GREEN ARROW.

The 4-section with straight and right arrows is quite common when a left turn is prohibited at an intersection and a protected right is provided with the through movement. New York has a lot of them and I've seen them elsewhere. The problem is that this is a 5 section signal with a red and straight green lit concurrently.

If this is the signal I think it is (east end of US 9/NY 23B concurrency), there is a dedicated left turn lane, so they could just install a dedicated face for the turn movement. Issue is that this section is locally-maintained.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

xcellntbuy

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2014, 02:28:03 PM
This traffic light on US 9 in Hudson, NY.  Unfortunately my photo is blurry due to the rain, but the sign says "left only on green ball".

I see that the traffic light has been moved.  The telephone pole on the immediate left is where that traffic light was affixed for decades, and often a little cockeyed to the right.  Many, many years ago it used to be a 6-signal light with a very old white letter pedestrian signal between the green ball and the two arrows.

vdeane

That is indeed the end of the US 9/NY 23B concurrency.  This would be one place where a FYA would be useful.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I'm a little confused here...

(On KY 34 in Mitchellsburg (Boyle County))

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on October 05, 2014, 04:18:48 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on October 05, 2014, 03:46:24 PM

The 4-section with straight and right arrows is quite common when a left turn is prohibited at an intersection and a protected right is provided with the through movement. New York has a lot of them and I've seen them elsewhere. The problem is that this is a 5 section signal with a red and straight green lit concurrently.
Many years ago there were 4-section signal heads RY^> along MA 1A/The Lynnway in Lynn, MA that would have one phase where all but the Y would be lit concurrently.  The red was lit because there was another 4-signal head (RY^<) facing ths same direction but located at the left-turn lane that would only have the R & ^ concurrently lit.  The concurrent red lit with the green ^ & > arrows meant that left turn movements from MA 1A North were stopped.  The signal in question was replaced with a more simplified arrangement in 1988-1989 when the Lynnway was overhauled.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Passed this very ugly "Keep Right" sign on Friday morning (as the time stamp indicates) on Fair Lakes Parkway at its interchange with the Fairfax County Parkway (VA-286).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

No idea where to put this... so...

'

I'm guessing at one point the word YIELD was visible before the 'TO'.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Quote from: Zeffy on October 06, 2014, 02:06:10 PM
No idea where to put this... so...

'

I'm guessing at one point the world YIELD was visible before the 'TO'.

Could be "GIVE FINGER"  :-D

jakeroot

Saw this today on East Lake Sammamish Parkway, about thirty miles east of Seattle...does this sign use the British Transport typeface?

According to Street View, the sign has been installed for over six years now.

relaxok

Check this out -- recently went up here (Petaluma, CA) after a terrible accident at this intersection.  First I've seen..

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on October 04, 2014, 08:10:50 AM
Found this on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  Only place I've ever seen one of them.

That particular sign in the photo appears to located at the beginning of an exit ramp (Lehigh Valley Exit of I-476 Northbound) so one taking this exit is/should be slowing down anyway.  IIRC that there's a similar advance-notice sign posted posted prior to the exit... at least there should be one.

Personally, this is one case where an overhead gantry-mounted BGS' (for the exit & thru-traffic) and a supplemental HAZMAT route (for the exit) and NO HAZMAT (for thru-traffic) signs are more than warranted.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2014, 09:53:15 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 04, 2014, 08:10:50 AM

That particular sign in the photo appears to located at the beginning of an exit ramp (Lehigh Valley Exit of I-476 Northbound) so one taking this exit is/should be slowing down anyway.  IIRC that there's a similar advance-notice sign posted posted prior to the exit... at least there should be one.

Personally, this is one case where an overhead gantry-mounted BGS' (for the exit & thru-traffic) and a supplemental HAZMAT route (for the exit) and NO HAZMAT (for thru-traffic) signs are more than warranted.

Nope, it's just before the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the original Turnpike.  I never took I-476.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2014, 01:44:18 PMNope, it's just before the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the original Turnpike.  I never took I-476.
Fair enough, but there's similar signage at the fore-mentioned Northeast Extension (I-476) at the Lehigh Valley interchange (Exit 56 for US 22/I-78/PA 309) since it's the last northbound exit before the Lehigh Tunnel.

For your Allegheny Mountain Tunnel example, the location shown that photo is either I-70/76 Eastbound at Somerset (Exit 110) or I-70/76 Westbound at Bedford (Exit 146).  Note the white gore striping on the lower-left of the photo and the words on the bottom of the sign USE THIS EXIT.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 10, 2014, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2014, 01:44:18 PMNope, it's just before the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the original Turnpike.  I never took I-476.
Fair enough, but there's similar signage at the fore-mentioned Northeast Extension (I-476) at the Lehigh Valley interchange (Exit 56 for US 22/I-78/PA 309) since it's the last northbound exit before the Lehigh Tunnel.

For your Allegheny Mountain Tunnel example, the location shown that photo is either I-70/76 Eastbound at Somerset (Exit 110) or I-70/76 Westbound at Bedford (Exit 146).  Note the white gore striping on the lower-left of the photo and the words on the bottom of the sign USE THIS EXIT.

Westbound at Bedford.

SignGeek101

Interesting piece of art representing... downtown? I'm guessing the buildings in the design represent the city centre, along with the "city centre" on the sign.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/V96cb

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.