Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcellntbuy

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 12, 2014, 12:33:21 AM
Interesting piece of art representing... downtown? I'm guessing the buildings in the design represent the city centre, along with the "city centre" on the sign.

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/V96cb
It looks like a two interstate shields "melted" down.

jbnv

Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 12, 2014, 06:36:17 AM
Interesting piece of art representing... downtown? I'm guessing the buildings in the design represent the city centre, along with the "city centre" on the sign.

Yes, my first impression was "what the heck happened to that sign and why is it still up?".
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jakeroot

Quote from: jbnv on October 12, 2014, 04:49:18 PM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 12, 2014, 06:36:17 AM

Yes, my first impression was "what the heck happened to that sign and why is it still up?".

I'm normally for a little bit of local customization of signs, but not sure this was the right approach. They should come up with something else.

Then again, in Canada, there's no such thing as an interstate shield. So only us Americans (and frequent border-crossers) are going to see that (though it took me a while to see it).

formulanone

Looking though some Jacksonville photos from last year, I discovered...a Neutered, Neutered Shield:

Zeffy

A neutered-neutered standard-width shield nonetheless. Also, it looks like the text is tilted (look at the 9 in particular) in the shield itself.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

WA-303 as it nears the interchange with WA-3 (sometimes known as the Waaga Junction):

Sign-colored numerals. Not unique if compared to North America as a whole, but certainly unique in Washington:

cl94

Quote from: jake on October 15, 2014, 03:13:10 PM
WA-303 as it nears the interchange with WA-3 (sometimes known as the Waaga Junction):

Sign-colored numerals. Not unique if compared to North America as a whole, but certainly unique in Washington:

You could sort of count Vermont in there, but their route shield is BGS green, so it kinda doesn't count
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

geocachingpirate

I am betting this is somewhere on the forum but I found this kinda funny. Riding down the Blue Ridge Parkway today and seeing this. Here it is on Google Maps.

Old US 421. Not NC 421.  :banghead:
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on October 14, 2014, 10:33:41 AM
Looking though some Jacksonville photos from last year, I discovered...a Neutered, Neutered Shield:

Generic 295 by formulanone, on Flickr
Must have been stolen from North Carolina :bigass:
http://gribblenation.net/ncfutints/fut295.html
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

OracleUsr

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2014, 08:18:09 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 29, 2014, 01:22:54 PM
No idea where to put this, but this is pretty ugly looking...

I wonder what size the '40' is. This shields look to be 48" tall, so I'm guessing that it's around 24", which looks ugly as hell. The numbers are practically bleeding into the border.

Also note the lack of a margin between the legend and the border. Also, it's always weird to see "Oklahoma City" spelled out on a sign, since most of the time it's only used as a control city inside of Oklahoma, which consistently abbreviates it as "Okla. City".

I guess since Fort Smith is the last city in Arkansas before you reach Oklahoma, OKC is the most logical choice for control city there.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

vdeane

Found this thing on NY 137:

I also love Quebec's signs warning of the danger of a collision of two road signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Driving US 64-74 in Tennessee yesterday, I saw a text sign warning of vehicles crossing the centerline in curves. Then, approaching a sharp turn, I saw this:

A closeup...

Never seen anything like this.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Also came across one of Alabama's vanishing "slotted signs" in Huntsville.

From a certain angle as you approach this sign, you can see through the slots. Wish the camera had recorded that phenomenon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2014, 03:21:16 PM
Driving US 64-74 in Tennessee yesterday, I saw a text sign warning of vehicles crossing the centerline in curves. Then, approaching a sharp turn, I saw this:

A closeup...

Never seen anything like this.

I thought you were going full tenso for a second, there (with the zoom).

Anyways, looks like the locals were also so confused, they shot the sign and the yellow bits have temporarily repaired the missing areas.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2014, 03:24:48 PM
Also came across one of Alabama's vanishing "slotted signs" in Huntsville.

From a certain angle as you approach this sign, you can see through the slots. Wish the camera had recorded that phenomenon.
I believe I have a picture of that sign (or another one) where you can see through the slots. I want to say we have about 6 of those here in Huntsville.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Here are the other five slotted BGSs in Huntsville:

Slotted BGS by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's a "Do Not Enter" sign that was made on a rectangular blank rather than a square one:

Weird Do Not Enter Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's an odd "Keep Right" sign:

Odd Keep Right Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

What's the reason for using that sort of sign? Something to do with wind?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dfnva

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 28, 2014, 10:50:45 AM
Here are the other five slotted BGSs in Huntsville:

Here's a "Do Not Enter" sign that was made on a rectangular blank rather than a square one:

Weird Do Not Enter Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's an odd "Keep Right" sign:

Odd Keep Right Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

If I'm not mistaken, a long time ago, there was a slotted sign of this style in Maryland on I-495 Northbound at MD-190/River Rd (Exit 39). It was replaced in the late 1980s or early 1990s after road construction.  Was this a common sign style in Maryland?  That's the only one I ever remember seeing.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2014, 11:55:06 AM
What's the reason for using that sort of sign? Something to do with wind?

Probably to make them more resistant to strong winds.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex4897

There's a gantry of these slotted sign on I-495 in DE over the Christina River.

👉😎👉

formulanone

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 28, 2014, 08:43:57 PM
There's a gantry of these slotted sign on I-495 in DE over the Christina River.

Cool...I always wondered where, if anywhere else, the "Alabama Slats" could be found.

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on October 28, 2014, 09:38:59 PM
Cool...I always wondered where, if anywhere else, the "Alabama Slats" could be found.

I've seen those before, a long time ago, and it certainly wasn't Alabama or Delaware.  Maybe the southern California inland areas subject to high winds had them for a while?

PHLBOS

Prior to either the 90s or early 2000s, I-95 in Portmouth, NH used to have some slotted BGS' as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.