News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratuscaster

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 27, 2014, 01:07:44 AM
Saw this today over in Madison, AL. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

Right Turn On Red Must Yield To U-turn by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This sign also exists in Madison.
When IL-64/North Avenue was widened between I-355 and IL-59, signs similar to these popped up on the crossroads all along that stretch.

mefailenglish

SignGeek101

Quote from: mefailenglish on November 29, 2014, 07:22:42 PM

Presented w/o comment.

The arrow is quite redundant I think. It's not a bad idea having the "MI" after the distance also, IMO.

1995hoo

Saw this today over in Madison, AL. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

Some intersections here have them. Not many people pay any attention to them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 29, 2014, 08:57:37 PM

I guess a good follow up question is normally which would normally have the right of way if there was no sign, right turn on red or U-turn.  Would this change if there were a right turn arrow, or a left turn arrow, or both.

In California, at any intersection with a right turn arrow that corresponds to a left turn arrow, there is a No U-turn sign.  Here in MD, that is not the case, and there have been a number of close calls that I've seen.  But does anyone know who would normally have the right of way?

misterjimmy

Quote from: Zeffy on December 08, 2013, 10:39:54 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2013, 07:07:16 PM

US 56 near Kansas City, MO

Ewwwwwwwwwwww. How exactly does this end up happening? I mean, don't you think whoever is putting the assembly up would look at it and go, "Wait a minute, something isn't right here..."?
[/quote

"Hey, kid, ya put the wrong font on this one!"

"Gee, sorry, Sully. Want me to go back to the shop and make another one?"

"Nahhhhh, screw it. Hang that and let's go to lunch, kid"
"Clearview sucks. No, seriously: what's with that stupid lower case 'L'?"

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on November 30, 2014, 08:36:53 AM

I guess a good follow up question is normally which would normally have the right of way if there was no sign, right turn on red or U-turn.  Would this change if there were a right turn arrow, or a left turn arrow, or both.

In California, at any intersection with a right turn arrow that corresponds to a left turn arrow, there is a No U-turn sign.  Here in MD, that is not the case, and there have been a number of close calls that I've seen.  But does anyone know who would normally have the right of way?

It depends on what the other light is showing, but in general, if the person making the U-turn has a green light of any sort (whether an arrow or a ball), or even a flashing yellow arrow, the person making the turn on red must yield because he has a red light. That is, the green light for the person making the U-turn takes precedence because turning on red is an exception to the "stop and wait for a green rule" and it applies only when there is nobody else entitled to go first.

Of course, if the person turning right had a green right-turn arrow while the rest of the traffic on his road had a red, then the U-turner would be required to yield even if he also had a green arrow, under the principle that a U-turner must normally yield. It's quite undesirable to have conflicting green arrows like that, but I've definitely seen it. An intersection near my house had a "U-Turn Must Yield to Right Turn" sign posted, but the U-turners ignored it and it kept getting knocked down.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Darkchylde

Quote from: misterjimmy on November 30, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 08, 2013, 10:39:54 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2013, 07:07:16 PM

US 56 near Kansas City, MO

Ewwwwwwwwwwww. How exactly does this end up happening? I mean, don't you think whoever is putting the assembly up would look at it and go, "Wait a minute, something isn't right here..."?

"Hey, kid, ya put the wrong font on this one!"

"Gee, sorry, Sully. Want me to go back to the shop and make another one?"

"Nahhhhh, screw it. Hang that and let's go to lunch, kid"
This is pretty much every sign in KCMO for US 56 except for the ones at the interchange with US 71.

Mr. Matté

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2014, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 21, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
Old-school direction arrow (though the arrowhead's a bit small) going through the I-95 shield applied to a relatively-new MassDOT D6 "Paddle" sign in Waltham.  Another old-school attribute of this LGS is that it's 2-sided (pan the attached link).  For newer installations, MassDOT typically installs two separate single-sided D6 panels.

The lower D8 panel is somewhat oddly configured as well with the small upright arrow and the squeezing in of both the local & distant destinations.  For 2-destination listings, either a larger D8 panel (such has been done elsewhere) or a separate D6 installation for the I-95 South LGS would've been better IMHO.

Fortunately, since this installation is at a signalized intersection for a conventional roadway; normal traffic won't be traveling at a high rate of speed so the current D8 panel with the smallish arrow & lettering should suffice.

District 4 strikes again - probably a knockdown was replaced under either Accident Recovery or the sign maintenance contract, and they likely based the replacement legend off of an old sign card.
Update: I drove by that area over the long holiday weekend; new LGS' have since replaced the older-style LGS'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jakeroot

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2014, 12:25:13 PM
Quote from: mrsman on November 30, 2014, 08:36:53 AM

It depends on what the other light is showing, but in general, if the person making the U-turn has a green light of any sort (whether an arrow or a ball), or even a flashing yellow arrow, the person making the turn on red must yield because he has a red light. That is, the green light for the person making the U-turn takes precedence because turning on red is an exception to the "stop and wait for a green rule" and it applies only when there is nobody else entitled to go first.

Of course, if the person turning right had a green right-turn arrow while the rest of the traffic on his road had a red, then the U-turner would be required to yield even if he also had a green arrow, under the principle that a U-turner must normally yield. It's quite undesirable to have conflicting green arrows like that, but I've definitely seen it. An intersection near my house had a "U-Turn Must Yield to Right Turn" sign posted, but the U-turners ignored it and it kept getting knocked down.

If you have the red light, it doesn't really matter what the color of the other lights are, or if you can or can't see if the other lights: If someone else is in the intersection, you can't go.  Period.

Alex

Quote from: jbnv on December 01, 2014, 11:01:35 PM
I don't think this has been posted: Suwanee River crossing sign with musical notation, I-10, Florida.

Only other instance with musical notes on a guide sign that comes to mind for me is the Hank Williams Memorial Lost Highway on I-65 in Lower Alabama:

thenetwork

roadfro

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2014, 01:00:58 PM
I want to know what's going on with the sign on the right:

If the sign had been made the same height as the one to it's left, it could have been made with proper layout and spacing, and been made a couple feet narrower.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr. Matté

hubcity

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 03, 2014, 12:51:59 PM
We're not sure.

A traffic control implement has not yet caused me to douse my keyboard in a mouthful of coffee, but this came the closest.

jakeroot

Quote from: hubcity on December 03, 2014, 03:00:07 PM
We're not sure.

A traffic control implement has not yet caused me to douse my keyboard in a mouthful of coffee, but this came the closest.

Would it alarm you if I pointed out the misspelled "may be"? It's not supposed to be "maybe", which is in itself analogous with "perhaps" (so the sign could optionally read "Road Perhaps Flooded").

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on December 03, 2014, 03:37:39 PM
Quote from: hubcity on December 03, 2014, 03:00:07 PM
We're not sure.

Would it alarm you if I pointed out the misspelled "may be"? It's not supposed to be "maybe", which is in itself analogous with "perhaps" (so the sign could optionally read "Road Perhaps Flooded").

Agreed. More than likely, it's a misspelling. A great sign though.

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on November 29, 2014, 07:22:42 PM

Presented w/o comment.

Mysteriously-ambiguous old Florida DOT standard to have an arrow pointing forward for no reason. Your example looks rather new, so I guess they aped an old sign.

From AlpsRoads.net:

jakeroot

Saw these two interesting signs in Federal Way, Washington yesterday:

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2014, 01:31:51 AM

I looked through the MUTCD sections 2B.04-2B.12, and I cannot find any allowance or prohibition for using the 4-way plaque under a yield sign.  But I did read where they have prohibited the x-way plaque and want "all way" used instead.

So what is the difference between a 4-way stop and a 4 way-yield?   :hmmm:   :confused:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.