Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2015, 04:31:06 PM
Ontario does on the QEW gore EXIT signs.

Ontario used to use trapezoidal exit signs, but no longer does:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Brandon

Bad, but very unique along Arsenal Road near Elwood, IL:

Interesting no outlet diamond in Chicago:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

I'm impressed with the "To I-295" signage at a Wawa in West Deptford, NJ.  Used the proper FHWA fonts; even made the N larger in North.

But why red?

ekt8750

Some good and bad/ugly here.

Good: Nice looking 3dUS shield (dunno why people here seem to hate them), the PA SR marker just below the arrow. Around these parts of the Commonwealth at least, they usually don't post them on surface US and state highways.

Bad: Just out of the shot is the other half of the sign set pointing to US 202 North. I guess there wasn't enough room to put both signs together?

Ugly: That Helvetica Black sign blade. Just gross.

Tom958

If the signpost was leaning to the left instead of the right, then the letters on the diamond might be level.  :rolleyes:

Joe The Dragon

freebrickproductions

I've spotted a few of these around Huntsville for the past several months, just finally got a photo of one:
End School Speed Limit by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 26, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
I've spotted a few of these around Huntsville for the past several months, just finally got a photo of one:
They're starting to pop up in NY.  I think they're now a part of the MUTCD.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mass_citizen

looks like something put up by the city under the category of "wayfinding" signage.

Zeffy

Quote from: mass_citizen on January 27, 2015, 05:14:12 PM
looks like something put up by the city under the category of "wayfinding" signage.

That's what I would think as well. They are all over Worcester it seems. Here's another one...

Their signs remind me of Airport-style signage honestly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Ah, Worcestignage (pronounced wuss-tine-ij). Part of their purpose seems to be getting traffic off Main Street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadfro

Quote from: vdeane on January 27, 2015, 12:46:22 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 26, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
They're starting to pop up in NY.  I think they're now a part of the MUTCD.

Yep. Sign code S5-3, introduced in the 2009 MUTCD.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

I already miss the art deco Exit 6 gantry on the NJ Turnpike.  Thanks to the 6-9 widening project a historical figure is now gone for good.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cl94

I've seen quite a few of these interesting assemblies in Pennsylvania. Somewhat analogous to New York's "End xx limit" signs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

freebrickproductions

Why is the exit tab so large? :hmmm:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2cmlh5z1rkn9ez1ckzv1z8k

Are there any other BGSs where the exit tab is larger than the sign?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PHLBOS

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 28, 2015, 10:47:28 AM
Why is the exit tab so large? :hmmm:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/2cmlh5z1rkn9ez1ckzv1z8k

Are there any other BGSs where the exit tab is larger than the sign?
Guess on my part (somebody from the area can either confirm/correct/clarify), but that exit tab was likely added later.  Had it been fabricated/erected at the same time as the main BGS; the width of the main panel would've been made to match the width of the wider exit tab.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Wider than the sign, sure. Larger, no.

The one seen here is a good example of "wider." As a bonus, the exit tab contains an ampersand. (You can see another identical sign in the background.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.794001,-77.151114,3a,75y,273.8h,88.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8klvYXIaOze_zwKyh8ILpg!2e0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

(They/Them)

hbelkins

I've seen a number of signs in Virginia where the exit number tab is wider than the sign itself.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on January 28, 2015, 01:21:27 PM
I've seen a number of signs in Virginia where the exit number tab is wider than the sign itself.
Downside of having 3-digit exit numbers (4 if one includes the letter-suffix).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM
Larger width-wise then. :-P

The worst example that comes to mind to me is this sign on I-10 east in Florida:

SignGeek101

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.