Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: jakeroot on February 03, 2015, 12:18:49 PM
I thought that image was from Toronto for a few moments.

GARDEN STATE PARKWAY should have been the obvious clue where it was from.  :-P
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on February 03, 2015, 12:21:20 PM

Well I saw that after a few seconds, but everything else to me reads "Ontario"...longer than normal lane lines, shoulders with lighter-colored pavement, 4 carriageways, exit lanes that form another lane before they exit, deciduous trees, and so on.

1995hoo

Another tip-off it's not Toronto is the use of green signs over both carriageways. Ontario would have green over the one and blue over the other.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on February 03, 2015, 12:25:21 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on February 03, 2015, 12:21:20 PM

Well I saw that after a few seconds, but everything else to me reads "Ontario"...longer than normal lane lines, shoulders with lighter-colored pavement, 4 carriageways, exit lanes that form another lane before they exit, deciduous trees, and so on.

That could hold true elsewhere on the east coast. Ontario uses standard-length lines. In actuality, MTO practices are relatively similar to those of New York, New England, and PennDOT except for a few minor differences. Same cannot be said for PTA, NJTA, Suffolk County DPW, Buffalo DPW, Indiana Toll Road...

Tapered deceleration ramps are rare out here in general, with most DOTs and toll authorities forming an extra lane. Other than the GSP, the real hints that this is not Ontario are:

1. Green signs on outer carriageway. Ontario uses blue on local lanes for clarity (a good idea, IMO).
2. No high-mast lighting. 4-lane sections are pretty much limited to Toronto and all are well-lit.

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 03, 2015, 12:32:34 PM
Another tip-off it's not Toronto is the use of green signs over both carriageways. Ontario would have green over the one and blue over the other.

Beat me to it
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEK Inc.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the NJ Turnpike uses 6" wide lane stripes, where Ontario uses the standard 4" (10 cm).  NJTA decided to use 25' long striping with 25' gaps for visibility purposes with long trucks, but I think the standard 10' long striping / 30' gap would have sufficed. 

Street-lighting and gantry design is my general cue at where something is at. 
Take the road less traveled.

Brandon

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 03, 2015, 01:04:24 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but the NJ Turnpike uses 6" wide lane stripes, where Ontario uses the standard 4" (10 cm).  NJTA decided to use 25' long striping with 25' gaps for visibility purposes with long trucks, but I think the standard 10' long striping / 30' gap would have sufficed. 

Street-lighting and gantry design is my general cue at where something is at. 

However, the lane lines used by the NJTP are the same as used by ISTHA.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

This sign has rather fat arrows. I'm not sure if I like it more or dislike it more...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on February 03, 2015, 08:49:43 PM
This sign has rather fat arrows. I'm not sure if I like it more or dislike it more...

You probably like it more than this one: http://goo.gl/maps/YCg2A

Your post reminded me of that sign.

riiga

This odd sign has been up for about five years now. It's a little off with everything, but despite telling them about it (4½ years ago!), the municipality hasn't corrected the sign. To the right is my illustration of what a proper sign should look like. Notice how the typeface and colors are a bit off, while the arrows look almost, but just almost correct.

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on February 05, 2015, 08:38:13 AM
This odd sign has been up for about five years now. It's a little off with everything, but despite telling them about it (4½ years ago!), the municipality hasn't corrected the sign. To the right is my illustration of what a proper sign should look like. Notice how the typeface and colors are a bit off, while the arrows look almost, but just almost correct.

A local variation of the same issue. Everything is correct, but just slightly different:

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SignGeek101

Quote from: jbnv on February 05, 2015, 09:05:36 PM
Is that Transport?

Definitely not transport; doesn't look like DIN Mittelschrift either.

Where is that? Very unique.

Pete from Boston

At Harvard, even the construction is genteel and cultured:

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2015, 02:25:34 PM

A local variation of the same issue. Everything is correct, but just slightly different:

The font is SNV. Used in many eastern European countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNV_%28typeface%29

There's this one in Ontario:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Opeongo_Road_signs.jpg

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 05, 2015, 09:58:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2015, 02:25:34 PM

http://i.imgur.com/bAHxV1T.jpg

The font is SNV. Used in many eastern European countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNV_%28typeface%29

There's this one in Ontario:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/Opeongo_Road_signs.jpg

Very cool. I've always wondered what the font was. I can see now that the "a" gives it away.

The sign is just north of Arlington, Washington along WA-530, about an hour north of Seattle (GMSV).

kphoger

despite telling them about it (4½ years ago!), the municipality hasn't corrected the sign

Honestly, I would have ignored the request too, since the existing signs are almost exactly like the mock-ups you posted.  I have to stand on my head and squint to tell the difference.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

steviep24

Drove by this one today. Older NY route shield with a different font.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.142847,-77.736028,3a,37.5y,189.03h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spdyUWuaezGf6Dwsk3WNhhQ!2e0!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Probably won't be there for long. Although it is still signed as NY 386 Coldwater Rd. is maintained by Monroe County along with other parts of NY 386 that were transferred to the county.

vdeane

In my experience, non-state maintained roads in NY are MORE likely to have old signs, not less.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 01, 2014, 01:09:05 PM
Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2014, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 21, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
Old-school direction arrow (though the arrowhead's a bit small) going through the I-95 shield applied to a relatively-new MassDOT D6 "Paddle" sign in Waltham.  Another old-school attribute of this LGS is that it's 2-sided (pan the attached link).  For newer installations, MassDOT typically installs two separate single-sided D6 panels.

The lower D8 panel is somewhat oddly configured as well with the small upright arrow and the squeezing in of both the local & distant destinations.  For 2-destination listings, either a larger D8 panel (such has been done elsewhere) or a separate D6 installation for the I-95 South LGS would've been better IMHO.

Fortunately, since this installation is at a signalized intersection for a conventional roadway; normal traffic won't be traveling at a high rate of speed so the current D8 panel with the smallish arrow & lettering should suffice.

District 4 strikes again - probably a knockdown was replaced under either Accident Recovery or the sign maintenance contract, and they likely based the replacement legend off of an old sign card.
Update: I drove by that area over the long holiday weekend; new LGS' have since replaced the older-style LGS'.

While that one is now gone; there's another old-school layout on a fairly new D6 Paddle LGS further north in Newburyport (at Exit 57 along MA 113).

Roadman, unless the districts were changed since the 1980s; Essex County's in District 5; so one can't blame District 4 for this one.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NYhwyfan

New York State Route 265 square shield - City of Tonawanda, NY
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.016238,-78.878941,3a,75y,24.71h,91.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZTBS_UJI-dqoQfbxlztiLw!2e0

Instead of asking the NYSDOT to post a sign or replace one must have taken upon themselves to make their own

PurdueBill

Tonawanda only knows how to make rectangular shields.

Quote from: NYhwyfan on February 07, 2015, 10:17:53 AM
New York State Route 265 square shield - City of Tonawanda, NY
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.016238,-78.878941,3a,75y,24.71h,91.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZTBS_UJI-dqoQfbxlztiLw!2e0

Instead of asking the NYSDOT to post a sign or replace one must have taken upon themselves to make their own

roadfro

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 07, 2015, 12:03:35 PM
Tonawanda only knows how to make rectangular shields.

Apparently, they also don't know what color to paint edge lines on bike paths...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Tonawanda is a city at the spot where the erected the square 265 shield, so signage is, unfortunately, their responsibility (NYSDOT rarely maintains anything in cities that isn't limited access).  Could we please teleport them to New England?  At least then their state route shields would be right...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Kniwt

Alpine Road near Stanford University. Bizarrely perpendicular to the road (no cross streets nearby).

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.