Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Obviously a greenout problem where indicated. Sure looks weird when you encounter it on the road.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Evidently, this used to be a CR 642 sign before Mercer County decided to stick new numbers over it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.214989,-74.622287,3a,15y,11.57h,99.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seN5Bzl91KhTfOk2PBBSFcw!2e0

It's also a white-on-blue county route shield, something that Somerset County does more often than the other New Jersey counties.

Also, there's a sign at the intersection on US 130 that uses Trenton as a control city for CR 526 west. I'm assuming that was because it dumps onto NJ 33 anyway? Still, you could've just turned at the intersection for 33 west which was literally the previous intersection before the CR 526 one. Kind of odd.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vdeane

Yes, the shield says CR 12, in New Jersey.  Found on NJ 67.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

^ Bergen County, along with Monmouth County, does not use the standard 5xx and 6xx/7xx county numbering system that the rest of the state does. No idea why.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

Quote from: vdeane on March 19, 2015, 10:30:07 PM

Off topic, but the signal setup seems odd.  Why would there be an optically-protected left turn signal on what appears to be a one-way street?

spooky

Quote from: Big John on March 19, 2015, 10:46:35 PM

Off topic, but the signal setup seems odd.  Why would there be an optically-protected left turn signal on what appears to be a one-way street?

I'm thinking it has to do with a concurrent pedestrian crossing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: spooky on March 20, 2015, 07:05:38 AM
Quote from: Big John on March 19, 2015, 10:46:35 PM

I'm thinking it has to do with a concurrent pedestrian crossing.

It appears they went with optically protected heads here rather than arrows.  Just an old-style setup more than anything most likely.  A larger view of the intersection is here: http://goo.gl/maps/5cdvr

Different subject matter:  On a nearby intersection, recently installed inverted T signals are shown on GSV(http://goo.gl/maps/aQmOS):

R
     Y
G<-  G

Big John

^^ That makes sense now with the closely-spaced intersection to oncoming traffic.

SignGeek101

http://goo.gl/maps/T4rbc

If you can't read it, the sign says "Right turn on red" and on the sign below it "After dead stop".

Never seen anything like this before.

PHLBOS

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 21, 2015, 12:51:12 AM
http://goo.gl/maps/T4rbc

If you can't read it, the sign says "Right turn on red" and on the sign below it "After dead stop".

Never seen anything like this before.
Conceptually, such isn't as unusual as one would think.  Even in areas where ROR is legal, similar-type signage has been posted in areas where the emphasis on stopping first prior to proceeding is needed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PHLBOS

Surviving 70s-era BGS with small button-copy I-shields containing Series D numerals (most button-copy 2dI-shields are typically in Series E).

90s-era BGS with similar small button-copy I-shields containing similar Series D numerals  Not sure whether or not this one was recently replaced as part of the I-95 resigning project that took place some time back.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

My friend showed this to me. Supposedly it's in Kansas City, Missouri, but I haven't been able to locate it.

Also, that is one ugly uni-sign for the NO PARKING and the 2 HOUR PARKING sign. The border isn't even cut right. Sloppy job.

vdeane

Regarding the bottom side: I'm really curious what they were thinking.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

freebrickproductions

Spotted this on the UNA campus today:
Handi-capped Crossing by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Never seen the word "red" written in red on one of these signs before:
No Turn On Red by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This one's somewhat interesting to me:
Interesting Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vtk

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 25, 2015, 09:44:50 PM

Doesn't look like there's a ramp there.  How many wheelchairs go over that curb each day?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadfro

Quote from: vtk on March 26, 2015, 12:11:33 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 25, 2015, 09:44:50 PM

Doesn't look like there's a ramp there.  How many wheelchairs go over that curb each day?

Could be a warning of a crossing further downstream of the sign
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

busman_49

jeffandnicole

Quote from: busman_49 on March 26, 2015, 08:34:23 AM
Washington Court House, OH, last spotted in 2008:
028CongestedAreaColsWillardWashCH_1108 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

"Congested Area" warnings can be found on some interstates as well, especially in areas where congestion in an otherwise rural area that may have a significant amount of out-of-state drivers just travelling thru.

Personally, this should be on all "Welcome to New Jersey" signs...not the 1950's postcard!  :-D

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2015, 10:59:30 AM
"Congested Area" warnings can be found on some interstates as well, especially in areas where congestion in an otherwise rural area that may have a significant amount of out-of-state drivers just travelling thru.

Personally, this should be on all "Welcome to New Jersey" signs...not the 1950's postcard!  :-D
Hey, now, the only places where the entrance to NJ leads to a congested area are coming from even more congested areas

1995hoo

OK.....I realize this is a bike path and not a road.

But watch the video. I rate this as one of the most unique signs of which I'm aware and I pity the people who have to deal with this shit (literally).

http://link.fox8.com/1BABXI7
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

How about this sign warning area motorists on US 1 & 9 in Elizabeth of the Pulaski Skyway closing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.673888,-74.199786,3a,75y,37.62h,81.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssGbR4ZS86EfBAKqDt7VBsQ!2e0

I find the shield on this sign to be as interesting as the latest 1&9 thing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

freebrickproductions

Here's an interesting one that went up here in Huntsville, AL recently:
Odd U-turn Arrow on a Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

The reason I'm posting it here is because I'm not sure if it actually qualifies for "worst of", but it's certainly close.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 30, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
Here's an interesting one that went up here in Huntsville, AL recently:

The reason I'm posting it here is because I'm not sure if it actually qualifies for "worst of", but it's certainly close.

Looks like a first grader cut out that arrow -- no, pre-schooler.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.