Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 04, 2016, 06:11:26 PM
It's not often that you see a college symbol on an advance interchange sign on a freeway.

Virginia does this a lot (1) (2).

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 04, 2016, 08:24:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2016, 10:11:22 PM
In Morehead, Ky. (city-installed)

Why have a sign?
Was this a one-way street recently converted to a two-way street?  Just thinking.

kkt

Quote from: Eth on February 04, 2016, 10:08:08 PM
Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 04, 2016, 06:11:26 PM
It's not often that you see a college symbol on an advance interchange sign on a freeway.

Virginia does this a lot (1) (2).

Just in case their students can't read and write words so well, and have to depend on logos.

cl94

Quote from: Big John on February 04, 2016, 10:14:20 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 04, 2016, 08:24:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2016, 10:11:22 PM
In Morehead, Ky. (city-installed)

Why have a sign?
Was this a one-way street recently converted to a two-way street?  Just thinking.

Bexley, Ohio has the compact version of that sign at an alley. No idea why it is in place because it is one of a kind.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

I don't know if that particular street in Morehead was ever one-way, but it is extremely narrow.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pete from Boston

Turns out it's in the MUTCD, but I've never seen this "no straight" before, and it looks odd to me:

I know, not all that unusual, but certainly uncommon.

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM
Turns out it's in the MUTCD, but I've never seen this "no straight" before, and it looks odd to me:

I've seen it (the R3-27) once or twice, but an R3-5 or R3-6 is typically used instead. Quite interesting to see.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on February 05, 2016, 03:42:36 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 03:34:13 PM

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1500/24471281069_efe5f25508_b.jpg

I've seen it (the R3-27) once or twice, but an R3-5 or R3-6 is typically used instead. Quite interesting to see.

I've personally witnessed this sign only once, in downtown Seattle right next to the Space Needle:

freebrickproductions

This I-565 shield on AL 255 looks rather malformed, like some kind of love child between a bubble-shield and a standard 3di shield:
Malformed I-565 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
EDIT: Here's a larger version of the photo so you can see it better.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cl94

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 06, 2016, 10:05:15 PM
This I-565 shield on AL 255 looks rather malformed, like some kind of love child between a bubble-shield and a standard 3di shieldMalformed I-565 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
EDIT: Here's a larger version of the photo so you can see it better.

I'd prefer a bubble shield over that...thing. It just looks weird.

hbelkins

That looks like a standard bubble shield with improperly spaced numbers.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2016, 07:14:18 PM
The sides on the top of it look a bit flatter than a standard bubble shield, IMO. Maybe I'm just seeing things though...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

cl94

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 07, 2016, 10:50:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2016, 07:14:18 PM
The sides on the top of it look a bit flatter than a standard bubble shield, IMO. Maybe I'm just seeing things though...

I agree. This is a standard bubble shield. The sides are entirely curved. Living in New York, I've seen enough bubble shields to know when one is wrong because NYSDOT went crazy with them for a 5-10 year period.

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2016, 11:38:41 PM
I've seen enough bubble shields to know when one is wrong because NYSDOT went crazy with them for a 5-10 year period.

Same problem here in Washington. Over the last 10 to 15 years, a good majority of WSDOT's three-digit interstate shields have been of the bubble-variety. It's nice to find the normal 3di shield.

cl94

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 01:02:20 AM
Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2016, 11:38:41 PM
I've seen enough bubble shields to know when one is wrong because NYSDOT went crazy with them for a 5-10 year period.

Same problem here in Washington. Over the last 10 to 15 years, a good majority of WSDOT's three-digit interstate shields have been of the bubble-variety. It's nice to find the normal 3di shield.

NYSDOT stopped in 2011-2012. These were some of the last. They did "standard" Series D for a couple of years before switching to Series C in 2014.

hbelkins

I've said this before, but I prefer the bubble shield if a wide shield has to be used, because it is the natural elongation of the standard 2di shield. My true preference, though, is the standard shield for both 2di and 3di routes.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2016, 12:11:33 PM
I've said this before, but I prefer the bubble shield if a wide shield has to be used, because it is the natural elongation of the standard 2di shield. My true preference, though, is the standard shield for both 2di and 3di routes.

Out of curiosity, do you also prefer stretched US-route shields?

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

hbelkins

Quote from: jakeroot on February 08, 2016, 02:20:07 PM

I prefer square US route markers to stretched markers.

ekt8750

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2016, 01:28:40 PM

So you'd rather squish hard to read Series B numerals into a shield and not be able to read them very far away? Makes no sense to me.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 09, 2016, 01:54:29 PM

So you'd rather squish hard to read Series B numerals into a shield and not be able to read them very far away? Makes no sense to me.

I'd prefer that over places like Ohio that put Series B in all of their wide shields.

ekt8750

Quote from: cl94 on February 09, 2016, 02:03:34 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on February 09, 2016, 01:54:29 PM

I'd prefer that over places like Ohio that put Series B in all of their wide shields.

Ha. That's just dumb. The shield is wide for a reason. NY's state route shields just make a mockery of things though.

cl94

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 09, 2016, 02:25:26 PM
Ha. That's just dumb. The shield is wide for a reason.

They one thing they did do with the switch to Clearview is make some of the new signs Series C

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.