News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Bluenoser on February 12, 2016, 10:05:30 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 09, 2016, 12:21:19 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 09, 2016, 12:12:43 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on February 08, 2016, 08:28:04 PM
Kinda crazy looking:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0872336,-76.0875188,3a,17.3y,300.16h,97.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb2hRoW-3C1TwzTV5csJkuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reminds me of this: https://goo.gl/maps/QNzUo4iZkZ12

I guess it could just depend on where in the country you are, but signs like those (more of Zeffy's type) aren't particularly uncommon in BC...

http://i.imgur.com/IdaqU70.png

Nova Scotia does the same thing, here's an example from NS 14 at NS 224 near the 102 at Milford:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.0551601,-63.4399811,3a,75y,308.9h,89.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sR5THnqMhegNqmtKpZbPB_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nova Scotia's roundabout arrows even have the little rounded corners where the individual arrows stick out, just like on the UK roundabout signs.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

D-Dey65

I saw this thing while doing a little research on US 23 in Georgia. This sign obviously defies MUTCD-standards, but I'd hate to see it go.

It's at the south end of Short Street East and Main Street, just west of that area where US 23 runs along the alignment of Main Street and Jeffersonville Road.

SignGeek101

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 14, 2016, 12:17:27 PM
I saw this thing while doing a little research on US 23 in Georgia. This sign obviously defies MUTCD-standards, but I'd hate to see it go.

It's at the south end of Short Street East and Main Street, just west of that area where US 23 runs along the alignment of Main Street and Jeffersonville Road.

Looks like they took a lesson from Quebec. That's their standard for that type of sign.
https://goo.gl/maps/4JJE5YDdY4w

I found this one interesting. Ground mounted 'EXIT ONLY', white on yellow border, and non-official use of Clearview (current standards in Alberta is everything Clearview). Arrow looks narrow as well.

And nearby, this very interesting seat belt sign:

https://goo.gl/maps/MpeGAEfTmsw

theFXexpert

The city of Bradenton, FL installed those signs at most T intersections adjacent to the river.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: theFXexpert on February 15, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

The city of Bradenton, FL installed those signs at most T intersections adjacent to the river.

You can find a few of these signs around the neighborhoods of Minneapolis.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 15, 2016, 12:53:53 PM

Those might not be the MUTCD standard, but they are the Canadian standard.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignGeek101

Quote from: cl94 on February 15, 2016, 04:41:01 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 15, 2016, 12:53:53 PM

Those might not be the MUTCD standard, but they are the Quebec standard.

FTFY. Quebec likes to differentiate itself from the rest of Canada by changing many of its signs, like that one posted above.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 01, 2016, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 01, 2016, 11:15:12 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2010827,-59.9572041,3a,16.5y,199.51h,87.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_eQ1uTfEMcxsqr0vYxGStA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's Canadian standard. You'll find those commonly throughout the country (except in Quebec). Why a checkerboard is used, I don't know. This one is near my house.

https://goo.gl/maps/reHpx15UTY62

JoePCool14

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

noelbotevera

Big John

^^ The expressway section of US 53 in Wisconsin has such signs every 5 miles, again with the large mileage.

jay8g

kkt

bzakharin

kkt

Quote from: bzakharin on February 16, 2016, 05:57:12 PM
Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2016, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: jay8g on February 16, 2016, 01:06:29 AM
This just seems like an excuse for poor design

On-the-cheap conversion of 4-lane to interstate.

So do you have to stop before accelerating or after?

Come to a full stop before the limit line, then accelerate along the shoulder and merge.

I was wrong calling this an interstate, it's WA 16.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on February 16, 2016, 07:40:02 PM

Come to a full stop before the limit line, then accelerate along the shoulder and merge.

Is it even a shoulder? Seems to me that the shoulder just disappears for a few moments at that point. Lots of states delete the shoulder for a few moments to insert an acceleration lane. I'm guessing they used the term "shoulder" because residents who used the old configuration still think that area is, in fact, a shoulder.

FWIW, acceleration lanes like this are pretty unusual in most regions of Washington.

jay8g

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2016, 10:09:36 PM

Is it even a shoulder? Seems to me that the shoulder just disappears for a few moments at that point. Lots of states delete the shoulder for a few moments to insert an acceleration lane. I'm guessing they used the term "shoulder" because residents who used the old configuration still think that area is, in fact, a shoulder.

FWIW, acceleration lanes like this are pretty unusual in most regions of Washington.

Before the repaving it still kind of looked like a shoulder. Now it looks like a (really cheap) acceleration lane, but the sign still seems to be there.

bzakharin

It's just that I've never seen a stop sign before an acceleration lane. You either have a stop or (more typically)  yield sign at the merge point with regular travel lanes. And it doesn't make sense in context either. There is no traffic to stop for at the location where the stop sign is. The "acceleration lane" is only available to traffic entering from that road.

cl94

Quote from: bzakharin on February 17, 2016, 10:12:53 AM

It's just that I've never seen a stop sign before an acceleration lane. You either have a stop or (more typically)  yield sign at the merge point with regular travel lanes. And it doesn't make sense in context either. There is no traffic to stop for at the location where the stop sign is. The "acceleration lane" is only available to traffic entering from that road.

I've seen it in New York. Trying to remember where.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 17, 2016, 10:30:44 AM

There are a few around, I'm sure.  I'm betting on the parkways (e.g., Saw Mill, Grand Central, etc.).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

I have seen this ramp configuration frequently used on divided highways/dual carriageways designed to relaxed standards that allow "compact" interchanges.  Here's an overseas example:

A34 on-slip near Weston-on-the-Green

The feature that is unusual at this location on Washington SR 16 is requiring a complete stop before barrelling down the acceleration lane.  The lane is short, however, and cannot easily be extended because of the left-hand curve just past the merge taper.  The stop sign therefore appears to reflect an engineer's judgment that it is better to force entering traffic to wait for a gap than to build on momentum coming out of the turn, keep the throttle to the floor, and hope there is room to merge when the lane ends.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on February 17, 2016, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: cl94 on February 17, 2016, 10:30:44 AM

There are a few around, I'm sure.  I'm betting on the parkways (e.g., Saw Mill, Grand Central, etc.).

The Hutch used to have one heading SB at King Street on the New York side. I'm certain of that because I had cousins that lived a short distance from there and it was quite unusual. It is no longer there.

And I completely forgot about this one on the ramp from the Thruway SB to the Saw Mill SB. We would sometimes use it to bypass the Yonkers tolls when visiting my grandfather in Park Slope.

jakeroot

This style of lane-assignment sign is common in California, and some other states such as Nevada and Washington, but I've never seen one with three lefts and a U-turn arrow. There are more than a few triple lefts in California, but most run parallel to part-time protected rights, so most ban U-turns. This intersection is unique in that the right turns are performed via channelized slip lanes, so the U-turns and right turns do not interfere with one-another, thus a U-turn is permitted from all approaches, including this one.

Roseville, California -- Galleria Blvd @ Roseville Pkwy

Pete from Boston

Paterson Ave., Little Falls, New Jersey:

JoePCool14

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 19, 2016, 11:31:12 PM
Paterson Ave., Little Falls, New Jersey:

Why save time by using existing signs when you can just waste more time making something custom?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.