News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgia

http://www.dot.ga.gov/DS/GEL/NWC#tab-3

on the FAQ on that URL, it says spring/summer of 2018.

uknowbeers

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 24, 2017, 12:34:19 PM
Was in Cobb county yesterday and it still looks like the 75 toll lanes won't be completed til a year from now? Still a lot of bridge work left to do at the Cobb cloverleaf including added work on the ramp from 75N to 285 west (the partial cloverleaf where drivers have to go 25 mph). It will be interesting to see what's the next elevated toll lane project will be once this is complete?

Is that ramp really being replaced with a flyover? It looked from the plans like only the express lanes were getting upgraded ramps.

Eth

Quote from: roadman65 on June 28, 2017, 08:45:24 AM
Since when does I-75 go to Birmingham?  Or better question why does a place along I-20, that is not in the same direction as I-75's northern heading get a mention here?

The previous signage here mentioned "TO I-285 WEST" along with I-75 and "TO I-285 EAST" along with I-675. Mentioning Birmingham would be in line with that (why not Montgomery? Because if you've come from McDonough or anywhere further south, there are better ways to reach I-85 than going all the way to Atlanta).

Tomahawkin

Quote from: uknowbeers on June 28, 2017, 09:11:42 AM
Was in Cobb county yesterday and it still looks like the 75 toll lanes won't be completed til a year from now? Still a lot of bridge work left to do at the Cobb cloverleaf including added work on the ramp from 75N to 285 west (the partial cloverleaf where drivers have to go 25 mph). It will be interesting to see what's the next elevated toll lane project will be once this is complete?

Is that ramp really being replaced with a flyover? It looked from the plans like only the express lanes were getting upgraded ramps.

I don't know, I hope so, but haven't heard anything about replacing that ramp. IMO It should have been replaced 20 years ago. Its necessary now since its the main interstate ramp to Cobb Pkwy and STP ( SunTrust Park ) from the south and drivers who are unfamiliar with the cluster#### in that area...

Finrod

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 28, 2017, 09:46:36 AM
Quote from: uknowbeers on June 28, 2017, 09:11:42 AM

I don't know, I hope so, but haven't heard anything about replacing that ramp. IMO It should have been replaced 20 years ago. Its necessary now since its the main interstate ramp to Cobb Pkwy and STP ( SunTrust Park ) from the south and drivers who are unfamiliar with the cluster#### in that area...

They built a stub ramp for an I-75 North --> I-285 West (South) flyover ramp when they added the Cumberland Boulevard interchange.  I haven't seen any hint that they're doing anything with it with the current construction.  I imagine the pay lane ramps are going to get in the way of it.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tomahawkin

Yeah, I saw that, when the toll lane construction started, I thought that was going to be the 75 north access point??? Now I think its just going to remain as is until they renovate that interchange in 20+ years???

Finrod

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 28, 2017, 10:05:22 PM
Yeah, I saw that, when the toll lane construction started, I thought that was going to be the 75 north access point??? Now I think its just going to remain as is until they renovate that interchange in 20+ years???

I think the I-75 North access point is going to be in the median just north of I-285-- they have both I-75 North and South splayed out away from the center and are tearing things up there.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tom958

Quote from: Finrod on June 29, 2017, 04:55:28 PMI think the I-75 North access point is going to be in the median just north of I-285-- they have both I-75 North and South splayed out away from the center and are tearing things up there.

Correct. There are two T columns up for it now.

On the 4th of July I drove 575 southbound for the first time in forever, and I noticed something: This is the new bridge carrying southbound 575 onto 75. Supporting it are not one but two straddle bents. The 75 reversible lane will run through the one on the left, and the one from 575 will dive down from the same elevation at which this photo was taken through the one on the right. The combined roadway will then climb steeply to the north. It'll be like a roller coaster. Actually, you could say the same of several areas on the project, but this looks like the most extreme. I think that people will take it during off peak hours just for the fun of it.

Oh, there's this, too:

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the pics. I was in that area 2 months ago when that phase started. Its hell getting through there. I was curious about the 75 North access points at the Cobb cloverleaf? I wonder if GDOT Plans on using the stub ramp that is right adjacent to the southern end by the Akers mill bridge???

amroad17

US 5 is in Georgia?  Must be some secret duplexes I don't know about.  :D

The signage is much better since Georgia DOT changed to Series E (or E(m)).  Whichever.  It still is better than before.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Tomahawkin

Oh wow, GDOT Has made several errors on replacing the signs the last 2 years. Anyone still notice that the variable speed limit signs on 285 are still dysfunctional? Even After 18 months from being called out on it by the news media here....

Finrod

Yeah, I remember seeing that US 5 sign that's supposed to be a Georgia 5 sign.  Oops!

Finrod

Quote from: Tomahawkin on July 08, 2017, 10:39:24 PM
Thanks for the pics. I was in that area 2 months ago when that phase started. Its hell getting through there. I was curious about the 75 North access points at the Cobb cloverleaf? I wonder if GDOT Plans on using the stub ramp that is right adjacent to the southern end by the Akers mill bridge???

That stub ramp is supposed to be for a future flyover ramp from I-75 North to I-285 West (South), but what with these new ramps for the pay lanes, I wonder how they could fit that in now.

Eth

Quote from: Tom958 on July 08, 2017, 09:17:59 PM
Oh, there's this, too:

State-to-US route upgrade? Check.
Sloppy alignment on the right-hand sign? Check.
Missing "EXIT 1" tab? Check.

(Technically, the Interstate shields are also too small, but I'll overlook that because they look better this way.)

But then again, this is what was there before:

So yeah, upgrade.

ukfan758

Saw this article about the Connector on the aaroads twitter page (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/gdot-no-idea-off-the-table-in-fixing-downtown-connector-traffic/550752850) and had a couple of questions regarding possible proposals:

What effect would all electronic tolling the Downtown Connector have on traffic? Would it decrease usage or stay the same? Would it just make exits before the tollway a nightmare?

Would removing all local exits on the connector improve flow or worsen it elsewhere?

What about a Dan Ryan Expressway style connector (ex: 5 lanes have no exit access while 4 have exit access/ collector-distributor in each direction)

Tomahawkin

A Dan Ryan format would be perfect, but its not econonomically feasible. That format should have been done 25 years ago before the Olympics population explosion. Not to mention the state claims that its low on money??? I advocated long ago that it was dumb to get rid of the 400 toll, know they would use a lack of funding for road and infrastructure projects.... SMH

Finrod

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 09, 2017, 01:08:17 PM
Saw this article about the Connector on the aaroads twitter page (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/gdot-no-idea-off-the-table-in-fixing-downtown-connector-traffic/550752850) and had a couple of questions regarding possible proposals:

What effect would all electronic tolling the Downtown Connector have on traffic? Would it decrease usage or stay the same? Would it just make exits before the tollway a nightmare?

Would removing all local exits on the connector improve flow or worsen it elsewhere?

What about a Dan Ryan Expressway style connector (ex: 5 lanes have no exit access while 4 have exit access/ collector-distributor in each direction)

Tolling the Connector or removing local exits would go over like a lead balloon.  Voters (myself included) would break out torches and pitchforks and march on the Capitol and on GDOT.

There's no room to make it like the Dan Ryan without removing lanes which would make matters worse.

My solution (which I need to write up) is to build that tunnel that was re-proposed in 2010 to extend 400 south to I-20, then on the surface to I-675.  Toll it as much as you need to in order to recoup costs, people going to expensive jobs in Buckhead and Perimeter will pay it.  Also build an expressway above Northside Drive and railroad tracks to go from the I-85/GA 400 intersection SW to Northside Drive down past the football stadium and ending at the Connector south of I-20, make the part between I-75 and I-20 toll.  Call it the Northside Skyway, I-385.

Why build one alternate route when you can build two?

Tomahawkin

I like how you are talking there! Have you noticed that the Overhead HOV signs were removed from the overhead sign bridges on both 75, 85, and the connector circa 5 years ago? Does anyone know why? I have speculated that the HOV Lanes ITP will be toll lanes probably around or after 2020...

ukfan758

So what's the craziest solution? Double decking, ground and tunnel levels (think big dig but with a freeway still on ground level), HOV/HOT tunnels, or elevated HOV/HOT lanes (like Houston 610 proposal)? All of the above?  :biggrin:

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 11, 2017, 12:59:02 AM
So what's the craziest solution? Double decking, ground and tunnel levels (think big dig but with a freeway still on ground level), HOV/HOT tunnels, or elevated HOV/HOT lanes (like Houston 610 proposal)? All of the above?  :biggrin:
I was thinking about putting HOT lanes under the current freeway, and build it similar to I-635 by removing the current HOV lanes and use that space as the "breathing space" for the underground HOT lanes.  These lanes would be 4 lanes each way.  A smaller improvement to the downtown connector would be moving the I-85 ramp on the north side to the right as opposed to the left, which would reduce weaving.  Removing a couple exits on the downtown connector would reduce weaving, specifically removing exit 294A/B since they appear to be very close to exit 249C/D.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Gnutella

For the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector: Express lanes underground, local lanes above. The only interchange for the express lanes should be at I-20. End the express lanes at each split.

Henry

Quote from: Gnutella on July 11, 2017, 03:33:28 PM
For the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector: Express lanes underground, local lanes above. The only interchange for the express lanes should be at I-20. End the express lanes at each split.
Agreed on that! If they could get a better version of Bertha to tunnel under the current road (which may necessitate the closure of at least one side) and get over their NIMBYism, then they'd be all set.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Tomahawkin

Went down the 75 toll lanes cooridor Sunday (Traffic was hell) and it still looks 9 months to a year away from completion. Can anyone answer why is there only going to be 1 added toll lane North of the 575 split? There is too much truck traffic from there up to Chattanooga. They should have added 2 lanes North of the split. IMO this project is just putting a band aid on a bullet wound

Tom958

Amazing: GDOT has replaced a rogue APL with a correct APL! Embarrassingly, I took this photo way back on August 12, but it didn't click for me what I was seeing until I passed the same spot yesterday. The support post for the former APL is still visible beyond:

Here's my photo of the previous condition:

Most of the rogue APL's here are due to APL's being used where there is no option lane. This, however, was a case where the APL was sited too far back and thus bore five arrows instead of four. To correct it involved making a new sign and installing it on a new gantry in front of the old one. There's a similar situation on I-285 southbound approaching I-20 east. Maybe it's in line for the same treatment.  :hmmm:

amroad17

It also appears that Georgia DOT had to move the sign because of the bridge that was built at the prior APL spot.  Is the new bridge a pedestrian walkway or is it for the tram system that was in its infancy the last time I was in Atlanta?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.