News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2020 Sauk Valley Road Meet

Started by Brandon, August 03, 2019, 11:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Day Works Best for the Meet?

Sat., June 6, 2020
4 (36.4%)
Sat., June 13, 2020
8 (72.7%)
Sat., June 27, 2020
6 (54.5%)
Sat., July 11, 2020
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 02, 2019, 11:53:52 AM

SSOWorld

I agree we're going off topic here so let's call that topic a wrap and get back to the subject at hand.

I am not going to make any decision at this time and may not make one until close to meet time (Try for a week).  I want to gauge what's going on closer to then.  I do not plan on replying in Facebook because I don't want my intentions advertised.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 01, 2020, 01:49:41 PM

I am not going to make any decision at this time and may not make one until close to meet time (Try for a week).  I want to gauge what's going on closer to then.  I do not plan on replying in Facebook because I don't want my intentions advertised.

I pretty much agree: I'm going to wait until a week before to make my final decision.  I want to go, but need to see what's going on.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dvferyance

Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2020, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
No activity is completely risk-free. I think most people are ready to try to move on.
Disease is still out there. People want to move on, but we're going to see a spike in cases. We need restrictions to be commensurate with what hospitals can handle. Open too much, too soon, and we'll be in crisis mode.
Germs and diseases have always been out there. There are way more diseases that exist than just coronavirus.

US71

Quote from: dvferyance on June 03, 2020, 01:17:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2020, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
No activity is completely risk-free. I think most people are ready to try to move on.
Disease is still out there. People want to move on, but we're going to see a spike in cases. We need restrictions to be commensurate with what hospitals can handle. Open too much, too soon, and we'll be in crisis mode.
Germs and diseases have always been out there. There are way more diseases that exist than just coronavirus.

Arkansas is experiencing a spike in cases, even as the governor pushes to reopen everything. So far, I've been lucky. I have 2 friends in Little Rock who had it early on, but I think they are over it. I am considered "at risk" so I'm taking precautions.

A.J. Bertin

Unless something drastic in Illinois happens that prevents this meet from moving forward as scheduled, I am planning to be there. I've got the Friday off from work approved and will be taking that day to drive to the area. I've got a reservation at a hotel in Rock Falls where I'll stay for both Friday night and Saturday night. I'm looking forward to this meet, exploring that area for the first time, seeing the other attendees (safely of course), and of course going on Brandon's tour. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Agreed, I am a 100% go and even travelling to central PA to visit family when this is done, I will be coming up on Thursday and do a US 30\ county clinching road trip on Friday, staying in the Quad Cities
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Do consider attendees coming in from highly infected areas - this increases the risk.  The higher risk areas are those that have high counts of net infections but also have been subject to high-density events (like the recent protests). These folks may not know it, but they could be carrying it in.  These are reasons to distance.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 13, 2020, 11:41:35 AM
Do consider attendees coming in from highly infected areas - this increases the risk.  The higher risk areas are those that have high counts of net infections but also have been subject to high-density events (like the recent protests). These folks may not know it, but they could be carrying it in.  These are reasons to distance.

Which is why I'm waiting until the last minute to decide.  I WANT to go, but I have concerns

jpi

Still a go, hotel is booked and even got a rental booked, I have not set foot in Davidson County which has been kinda a hot spot for TN, Wilson county is fine and Steph and I have been working from home
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

dvferyance

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 13, 2020, 11:41:35 AM
I am from Waukesha County WI. That is not a high risk area. Nearby Milwaukee is but I haven't been there in months and I intend to stay away from it for awhile yet.

Brandon

A heads up, and this will appear in the Facebook posting as well, the meeting point is the picnic pavilion at Page Drive and Chuck Vail Drive in Page Park, Dixon.
https://goo.gl/maps/PWDHjYHDgMQufVNW9

Street view: https://goo.gl/maps/PsyL8DcT2tjJ6uzz7
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Unless you hear from me otherwise consider me going.  I marked myself going on the event so you should see it as host - I refuse to share my intents to the public in this case.

No longer going - not comfortable with the situation regardless of destination.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

I'm officially out. It's getting worse around here so I need to lay low..

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on June 24, 2020, 03:37:26 PM
I'm officially out. It's getting worse around here so I need to lay low..
I guess we're on the same page, then.

Highway63

Report and updates from my end:

-There on US 30, IA 38, I-80, I-88, IL 26; back on IL 2, IL 40, IL 78, IL/IA 64, US 151. Have not uploaded GPS yet.
-I am glad I took a north route back because it looked like rain to the south. Did it rain on anyone still in Dixon or heading to the Quad Cities?
-My Fitbit display is dead. It still charges and tracks, according to my phone.
-27th Avenue (the old concrete in Clinton) was paved in 1929. Harrison Drive was resurfaced just last year so that's when 27th was cut off.
-The 1931 date that I also mentioned was for US 30 on Manufacturing Drive, moving it off 19th Street.
-299.5 miles for me on the day.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Highway63 on June 28, 2020, 01:49:00 AM
-I am glad I took a north route back because it looked like rain to the south. Did it rain on anyone still in Dixon or heading to the Quad Cities?

Five of us gathered for dinner in downtown Dixon after the end of the tour. We were there for maybe an hour and a half or two hours. Afterwards, when we parted ways, I stuck around the Dixon area for a little while longer to take some more photos of the area... particularly around downtown and Reagan's boyhood home. As I was leaving Dixon (around maybe 7:30 p.m. local time), it started to rain. Instead of taking IL-2 back to Rock Falls (where my hotel was), I just got on I-88. The rain was falling pretty heavily during most of my 13 miles on I-88, and the thunder and lightning were starting to roll through as well. Later in the evening (around 9 p.m. local time), I went through the drive-thru at the Culver's near my hotel to get frozen custard and the rain was still fairly heavy while I was doing that.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Thanks again, Brandon, for hosting such a fun meet.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  It was a great tour, and it was nice to catch up with some of my roadgeek friends again.  It was nice for me to have the opportunity to explore the Sterling/Rock Falls/Dixon area of Illinois (since I'd never really been to those places before), and it was fun to cross the Mississippi River again into Iowa.

Also, a huge thanks to Paul for the Interstate shields he was giving away!!
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

I just got home. The trip home took 14 1/2 hours. I went through heavy rain between Little Rock and El Dorado, AR.

From the time I left at 3:30 a.m. Friday morning to pulling back in my driveway at 8:30 this evening, I put 1885 miles and 33 hours of operation on my car. This did include a trip to Monroe, WI Saturday morning for breakfast at Amy's Corner Cafe.

That was a fun trip! Thank you Brandon for hosting a great meet!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

okroads

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on June 28, 2020, 09:27:57 PM
Quote from: Highway63 on June 28, 2020, 01:49:00 AM

Five of us gathered for dinner in downtown Dixon after the end of the tour. We were there for maybe an hour and a half or two hours. Afterwards, when we parted ways, I stuck around the Dixon area for a little while longer to take some more photos of the area... particularly around downtown and Reagan's boyhood home. As I was leaving Dixon (around maybe 7:30 p.m. local time), it started to rain. Instead of taking IL-2 back to Rock Falls (where my hotel was), I just got on I-88. The rain was falling pretty heavily during most of my 13 miles on I-88, and the thunder and lightning were starting to roll through as well. Later in the evening (around 9 p.m. local time), I went through the drive-thru at the Culver's near my hotel to get frozen custard and the rain was still fairly heavy while I was doing that.

I left Dixon when you and the others were about to go to dinner. It did not rain any on the trip to Moline where I stayed that night. Moline didn't get any rain that evening so the storms must have formed between Moline and Dixon after I passed through.

Thank you Brandon for a fun meet!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.