What Regular Road has the most interchanges with Interstates or Freeways?

Started by kenarmy, March 05, 2021, 04:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenarmy

Ok so what regular one road (For instance, "Bailey Ave in Jackson", "Steed Road in Atlanta") has the most exits from Interstates? NO FRONTAGE ROADS.

I know Ashland Avenue has 3 or 4 in Chicago (I'm including exit 354 on I-57 because you are on that road when you exit)
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

SkyPesos

Cincinnati and Columbus theoretically should have a lot, but a lot roads change names midway.

Some 4+  examples for St Louis. There's way too many 3 examples in the metro area that I'm not going to list them:
Hanley Rd: I-270, I-170, I-70, I-64. Continues south as Laclede Station Rd past MO 100, which has an exit off I-44.
Lindbergh Blvd: I-255, I-55, I-44, I-64, I-70 and I-270.

hotdogPi

There are 10 interchanges on US 5 between West Springfield, MA, where it becomes a freeway, and Brattleboro, VT, where continuing straight puts you on VT 119. Exclude non-Interstates (MA 2), and you get 9, and exclude sequential exit 21 for the "no frontage road" rule, and you're left with 8.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

If it doesn't have to be interstate exits specifically, Wadsworth Boulevard in the Denver metro has exits at CO470, US285, US6, I-70, and US36.  It's also CO121, so I'm not sure if we're trying to limit only to local roads or not.  But it's not limited access at any point.

Chris

kphoger

The last couple of posts are not what the OP is wanting.  He's wanting to know how many Interstates the same local road interchanges with.

So, in the OP's example, Ashland Avenue doesn't have three or four exits, because it's a local road.  Rather, three or four Interstates have an exit for Ashland Avenue.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 05, 2021, 05:05:20 PM
The last couple of posts are not what the OP is wanting.  He's wanting to know how many Interstates the same local road interchanges with.

So, in the OP's example, Ashland Avenue doesn't have three or four exits, because it's a local road.  Rather, three or four Interstates have an exit for Ashland Avenue.

I guess for my example, it's how we define a local road (does a state highway that carries the same road name count?) and then are we limiting to only interstates or can we include other limited access highways.

Chris

Flint1979

In Detroit,
Woodward has 3 (I-75, I-94 and I-696)
Gratiot has 3 (I-375, I-94, I-696) plus an exit to and from I-75 but it doesn't cross I-75.
Michigan has 4 (I-75, I-96, I-94, I-275)
Grand River has 5 (I-75, I-94, I-96 three times), also crosses I-275 the third time it cross I-96 as well.
Telegraph has 4 (I-275, I-94, I-96, I-696)
Van Dyke has 2 (I-94 and I-696)
Greenfield has 2 (I-94 and I-696)
8 Mile has 3 (I-94, I-75 and I-96/275)

kenarmy

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 05, 2021, 05:11:00 PM

I guess for my example, it's how we define a local road (does a state highway that carries the same road name count?) and then are we limiting to only interstates or can we include other limited access highways.

Chris
^^ Yeah that's what i was going for sorry for my weird wording.
You can include limited access highways but just specify. The road can have a route number AS LONG as it also has a regular name with it. (e.g. US 51, State Street)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kenarmy on March 05, 2021, 05:24:53 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on March 05, 2021, 05:11:00 PM

Chris
^^ Yeah that’s what i was going for sorry for my weird wording.
You can include limited access highways but just specify. The road can have a route number AS LONG as it also has a regular name with it. (e.g. US 51, State Street)

Yep, so then my example works.  CO121 is called Wadsworth Boulevard the whole way, does not have any of its own exits that are not to the highways in question, and all of them are limited access.  So, 5 total.

Depends on how you define limited access one of these new two counts:

Federal Boulevard has exits from US285, US6, US40, I-70, I-76, and US36. 6 total.

Colfax Avenue has exits from I-70, I-70 again, CO88, I-25, I-225, and I-70 for a third time. 6 total.

The reason I say it depends on how we define limited access is that there are two consecutive exits on US40/Colfax Avenue at US287/CO88/Federal Blvd and I-25, so if we count that as limited access, the first one counts and the second one doesn't, and vice versa.

Chris

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 05, 2021, 05:16:22 PM

Grand River has 5 (I-75, I-94, I-96 three times), also crosses I-275 the third time it cross I-96 as well.

And another one in Brighton
And another one in Howell
And two more in Lansing
And another one in Portland

Total: 10

kenarmy

Quote from: GaryV on March 05, 2021, 06:26:02 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 05, 2021, 05:16:22 PM

And another one in Brighton
And another one in Howell
And two more in Lansing
And another one in Portland

Total: 10
This has to be the bread winner, and It actually has 2 in Portland. Ig 69's ramp to Grand River doesn't count.

jakeroot

Grand River Avenue might be the longest road I've ever seen that has "avenue" applied to it. Really incredible, and yeah, that might be the easy winner here.

Flint1979

Yes I am well aware that Grand River has several other exits but I wasn't leaving the Metro Detroit area that's why I only put it at 5 but it does have 5 more west of Metro Detroit.

GaryV

Does it matter that a short section of Grand River Ave is renamed in Lansing?

Flint1979

What about the stretch in Clinton County that is called Grand River Hwy?

kenarmy

Quote from: GaryV on March 06, 2021, 07:27:12 AM
Does it matter that a short section of Grand River Ave is renamed in Lansing?

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2021, 08:41:01 AM
What about the stretch in Clinton County that is called Grand River Hwy?

No because it reverts back to Ave by the time it interchanges with the interstates. And we don't have to get too technical and say it's two different roads because it changes.

TheHighwayMan3561

I can't think of any in Minneapolis that have more than two. Some county roads have 3, but the names of the roads change (such as Hennepin CSAH 61, which has five six different names between 494 and 694).

Lyndale: 94 and 494 (35W doesn't count because all interchanging is done via MN 62)
Hennepin: 94 and 35W
Pilot Knob: 494 and 35E
Snelling: 94 and 694
Lexington: 94 and 694
West 7th: 94 and 35E
University: 35W and 35E

I guess technically there is Cedar Avenue (35E, 494, and 94).  :bigass:

Washington Avenue I suppose qualifies because some of the I-94 exits north of downtown exit onto it (94, 394, 35W).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 06, 2021, 10:30:51 AM
I guess technically there is Cedar Avenue (35E, 494, and 94).

When I originally read the thread title, Cedar Ave. immediately came to mind because it's named "Avenue" while functioning as a freeway, and thus could be construed as a "regular road" with many exits. Then I read the OP and realized that's not what's being looked for. I supposed you could make a case for the three you mentioned, but two of them are full freeway-freeway interchanges.

GaryA

Imperial Highway in the LA area has ramps at the end of I-105 (and parallels that for some time), and has exits with that name from I-405, I-110, I-710, I-605, and I-5.  That's six Interstates, plus the CA-57 and CA-91 freeways.

It is a surface street.  Parts of it are CA-90, including the CA-57 and CA-91 interchanges, but not where it crosses the interstates.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 06, 2021, 10:30:51 AM
University: 35W and 35E

After University Ave swings north in St. Anthony Main and picks up the MN 47 designation, doesn't it also have an interchange at 694 in Fridley? I'm pretty sure that it does.

jakeroot

Not sure this would count, as it does change names, but it is one continuous roadway. One road has "Hwy" but it's no more than an arterial connector.

In the Seattle area: Interurban Ave becomes West Valley Hwy in Tukwila. From north to south, it interchanges with WA-599, I-5, and I-405; after it becomes West Valley Hwy, it interchanges with WA-18 and WA-167.

kenarmy

Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2021, 01:43:09 PM
Not sure this would count, as it does change names, but it is one continuous roadway. One road has "Hwy" but it's no more than an arterial connector.

In the Seattle area: Interurban Ave becomes West Valley Hwy in Tukwila. From north to south, it interchanges with WA-599, I-5, and I-405; after it becomes West Valley Hwy, it interchanges with WA-18 and WA-167.

Sorry, it's disqualified if it changes names.

Just so I'm clear, the regular road cannot be "frontage/access road" and the like.

- It has to have an ordinary street name (Bailey Ave, Watkins Drive, River Blvd.. etc)
- It has to retain the same name at each of the interchanges.
- It doesn't have to be signed on the exit sign.
- It's fine if it changes suffixes or names as long as it reverts back to its original by the time it reaches the next interchange, such as Grand River. And it needs to have some sort of correlation to the original road !
- If it is one continuous road, but changes suffixes at different interchanges (e.g. Adams Blvd -> Adams Road) make it clear!

SkyPesos

Quote from: kenarmy on March 06, 2021, 02:36:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 06, 2021, 01:43:09 PM

Just so I'm clear, the regular road cannot be "frontage/access road" and the like.

- It has to have an ordinary street name (Bailey Ave, Watkins Drive, River Blvd.. etc)
- It has to retain the same name at each of the interchanges.
- It doesn't have to be signed on the exit sign.
- It's fine if it changes suffixes or names as long as it reverts back to its original by the time it reaches the next interchange, such as Grand River. And it needs to have some sort of correlation to the original road !
- If it is one continuous road, but changes suffixes at different interchanges (e.g. Adams Blvd -> Adams Road) make it clear!
I think my 6 exits for Lindbergh Blvd is safe then. It changes name to Kirkwood Rd between I-44 and MO 100, but reverts back later. Also, the exit signage BGS from all 6 interstates have Lindbergh Blvd on them.
Something else interesting about Lindbergh Blvd is that the only interstate in the St Louis area that doesn't have an exit to this road is I-170.

Flint1979

Michigan Avenue is pretty long too not sure if it's as long as Grand River Avenue but it extends pretty far west of Detroit. As far as having the most interchanges with an Interstate or freeway Grand River will have it beat.

jakeroot

Quote from: kenarmy on March 06, 2021, 02:36:30 PM

Got it. Is "Hwy" not allowed? If not, you may want to reconsider as "Hwy" is a very common suffix in my area for roads that are, at best, local collectors.

I think Interurban Ave would still be Seattle's leader with three interchanges (599, I-5, and I-405). Seattle is brutal: hills, water, and constantly changing road names. There's so many continuous roads that don't require any sort of turn, but do change name.

Vancouver has a tie: either Westminster Hwy (BC-99, BC-91 x2), or (SE) Marine Dr/Way (BC-99, Knight St, BC-91A). The latter would win if "Hwy" is not permitted.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.