News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite/least favorite ADHS corridors or segments

Started by hbelkins, June 24, 2021, 12:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

For those who have traveled the various ADHS corridors, what are your favorites and least favorites?

I have to say that I am not a fan of Virginia's segment of US 460 (Corridor Q) between Grundy and Claypool Hill. The road is curvy, as it's wedged into the upper valley of one of the forks of the Big Sandy. The concurrent US 19 segment in Virginia isn't bad, and the West Virginia portion is OK.

I'm also not crazy about many of Kentucky's corridors, since they are two lanes. (And in the case of Corridor F, US 119, it will probably never be finished.)

OTOH, I really like Corridor H. It's fast and it's scenic. It's probably my favorite of all of them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SkyPesos

I've only been on parts of 4 of them, off the top of my head, I think it's B (US 23), D (OH 32), E (I-68) and L (US 19). Out of those 4, I might go with L as my favorite, for the New River Gorge Bridge. E would be my second favorite for the section through Cumberland and the Sideling Hill Cut. OH 32 would be much better if the section between I-275 and Batavia had the traffic signals removed. And Corridor B is a long one (from Asheville to Columbus I think), which I would like to clinch sometime in the future. For now, I only have a short section south of Columbus, and it leaves a lot to be desired with all the signals and driveways, considering the amount of truck traffic using it between Columbus and US 35. Corridor H interests me a bit too. Combine it with Corridor D, about 20 miles of I-79, and I-66, and there's an expressway routing from Cincinnati to DC. Would be nice if the US 48 designation extends west, replacing OH 32 on Corridor D, to show that like a continuous corridor, but that's a fictional pipe dream.

SP Cook

Among the ones I have driven a lot, in alphabetical order:

B: US 23 is a very pretty drive, the further south you are.  I like it.

C: Most of C is really not even in Appalachia. 

D: The WV part is, well, pork.  77, 79 and 50 form a triangle, and leaving out any one of the sides, with minor re-routing, only add a few minutes to any trip.  50 travels through a part of WV that simply has no economic potential and few residents.   However in OH, very different.  However when the number switches to 32, the road quality lessens, and it just ends at the Cincinnati beltway, with no expressway to go forward.

E: A very scenic route, no real reason it was built to interstate quality, though.  Again it travels through an unpopulated wilderness and only takes a few miles off the existing alternatives.

G: A great construction.  Down votes for poor planning that caused a stop light infestation at the north end, defeating the purpose of the road, and to politics for the really stupid Wal-Mart intersection at Logan.  Still it accomplishes so much for so many people.

H:  My favorite.  Really pretty drive, and, when finished, will open up a great part of the world to development. 

L:  Is "right of way malpractice" a thing?  The state built the northern half as a two lane and then had to go back and fix the mistake, paying many times the pre-construction prices.  Still a good road, this is the one that really should have been built to interstate standards.   Too many stop lights and speed traps make it a not fun drive.

Q:  I really don't care for the Virginia method of construction of many four lanes, which leaves curvy roads with single home driveways.  Saves money, but defeats the purpose of the road.  With, what, less than 20 miles needed to complete, should have been done decades ago.  Really will make Pikeville a regional center, connected to places that used to be many hours away. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 24, 2021, 01:08:56 PM
I've only been on parts of 4 of them, off the top of my head, I think it's B (US 23),...
For now, I only have a short section south of Columbus, and it leaves a lot to be desired with all the signals and driveways, considering the amount of truck traffic using it between Columbus and US 35.

Quote from: SP Cook on June 24, 2021, 02:45:50 PM
Among the ones I have driven a lot, in alphabetical order:

B: US 23 is a very pretty drive, the further south you are.  I like it.

C: Most of C is really not even in Appalachia.

I don't have the map in front of me, but IIRC, B ends and C begins at Lucasville, where the new Portsmouth bypass ends. Why the whole route from Columbus to Asheville isn't one lettered corridor, I don't know.

QuoteD: The WV part is, well, pork.  77, 79 and 50 form a triangle, and leaving out any one of the sides, with minor re-routing, only add a few minutes to any trip.  50 travels through a part of WV that simply has no economic potential and few residents.

Last time i was in the area, you didn't have to go very far off the corridor on any of the state primary highways between Ellenboro and Salem to see a lot of fracking going on.

QuoteE: A very scenic route, no real reason it was built to interstate quality, though.  Again it travels through an unpopulated wilderness and only takes a few miles off the existing alternatives.

A toll-free alternative to the PA Turnpike and a bypass of the holiday traffic jam that Breezewood can become. I still wonder what Pennsylvania did to tick Maryland off to the point that signs are installed along I-70 basically saying, "Avoid I-70 if you're going to Ohio, use I-68

QuoteG: A great construction.  Down votes for poor planning that caused a stop light infestation at the north end, defeating the purpose of the road, and to politics for the really stupid Wal-Mart intersection at Logan.  Still it accomplishes so much for so many people.

I know people in Pikeville who now use Charleston as their regional shopping "big city" over Lexington, Ashland/Huntington, and Kingsport, because of this route. I don't know if the eventual four-laning of the Mountain Parkway will change this or not, but right now there's a sign on US 23 at Allen (the old KY 80 intersection) that says it's 122 miles to Lexington. And at that point, Pikeville is 20 miles in the rear-view mirror. Alternatively, there's a "Charleston 101" sign on US 119 near the KY 881 intersection about 15 miles out of Pikeville.

index

I have been on only a handful of ADHS routes, in order they are A, B, and L. Of them, L is probably my favorite, scenery-wise. A I've hardly been on, and B I've hardly been on + I hardly remember. I was on it around 2015 and I slept most of the time I was traveling.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

skluth

Corridor D, OH 32, is good west of Peebles (I was visiting Serpent Mound) and probably the best way to cross Southern Ohio, however become stop-and-go with lights close to Cincinnati. Corridor E, I-68 from Morgantown, WV to Hancock, MD, is quite nice and a handy shunpike for the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Corridor H, US 48 in WV, is winding but relaxing with little traffic where it's four lanes, and completely sucks where it's not because they haven't gotten around to updating those sections yet.

The corridors that include US 23 in Southern Ohio have a ridiculously low speed limit.

Dirt Roads

Q:  I really don't care for the Virginia method of construction of many four lanes, which leaves curvy roads with single home driveways.  Saves money, but defeats the purpose of the road.  With, what, less than 20 miles needed to complete, should have been done decades ago.  Really will make Pikeville a regional center, connected to places that used to be many hours away.

And my favorite is just that:  the old lanes of US-460 (now westbound) west of Narrows up over the cliffs to Glyn Lyn.  Hardly ever had double-wide traffic volumes, so you can drive the curves "West Virginia style" ignoring the center striping.

SkyPesos

...and it just ends at the Cincinnati beltway, with no expressway to go forward.
I-275 south/west to I-471 north is a fairly direct routing from that point to downtown Cincinnati. I could see why some people would avoid it, as it freaks some to go through Kentucky to get between two points in Ohio.

sbeaver44

Oh man this is tough.  I love the ADHS so much.  Not really any corridors I don't like.   I think I'm going with B, narrowly edging out H.  Then maybe E, L, or M.

I'm probably atypical because I like the hybrid expressway/freeway/occasional intersection highways like B or H rather than full freeway ones. 

B is great, agreed it's better the more south you go, I really like B in VA and TN.

E is nice, some scenery is awesome, love the Sideling Hill cut and Cumberland

G is neat in KY, the rock cuts are cool

H is the quintessential ADHS highway in my mind.  I'd love to see Virginia upgrade but I get it.

K is one I forget about sometimes but I enjoyed. 

L was not the first ADHS corridor I was on, but it made me aware of the system bc of WVs little mile markers.   Love the New River Gorge Bridge.

M is my "home"  ADHS route.  I love 22 along the Juniata from 11/15 to Lewistown.

N I forget about.  I like the section around Meyersdale.

Now, I know I'll start a fire but I like the Tyrone to State College section of O, and I really like O-1

Corridor P – I kind of like the non expressway portions of P.

Corridor P-1 has really good views of the Suquehanna daytime NB...but my god PennDot does it really need to be 55.

Corridor S has some very beautiful scenery at the overlook near Bean Station

T is fine, I like the Salamanca area, Corning to Waverly, and Hancock areas especially.

Corridor U is great in the fall.  I just wish PennDot could upgrade PA 328 if we're going to really advertise as a corridor

Corridor U-1 is fine, but I find PA 287/CR 115/NY 417 more interesting

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2021, 12:36:44 PM
OTOH, I really like Corridor H. It's fast and it's scenic. It's probably my favorite of all of them.

My only complaint about Corridor H is that Virginia seems to have done little or nothing to start on their part (about 14 miles), even though I think it will be of benefit to their Inland Port in Front Royal.

Only thing in the VDOT Six Year program is in Shenandoah County, and those are some ramp improvements at Exit 296 (Strasburg) on I-81, where U.S. 48 ends and VA-55 ties in to I-81.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US 89

In terms of scenery I really like the portions of corridor K I’ve been on. I just wish TN and NC would fill in the four-lane gaps. Corridor A in GA also has nice scenery but also has had a fuckton of traffic every time I’ve been on it.

Corridor X (better known as the east half of I-22) seemed rather boring. It’s more interesting than most interstates in the southeast, but as far as ADHS corridors go you can do far better.

ftballfan

I'm probably one of very few on here that has been on a significant portion of Corridor J (I've been on all of it south of Celina). It would get much more use if it kept heading toward I-65 instead of bending back to I-75

hbelkins

Quote from: ftballfan on July 17, 2021, 11:49:52 PM
I'm probably one of very few on here that has been on a significant portion of Corridor J (I've been on all of it south of Celina). It would get much more use if it kept heading toward I-65 instead of bending back to I-75

I've been on all of Corridor J except the segment from Celina to Livingston (TN 52). Of course, the routes south from Celina to I-40 (TN 53, TN 56) are built to the same quality as the rest of the corridor, so it works just as well.

The only reason anyone would have to follow Corridor J is for clinching purposes. Now that US 127 has been completed from KY 90 (Corridor J) to the state line (TN 111), that combination is the most direct route from Albany to Cookeville.

ftballfan

Quote from: hbelkins on July 18, 2021, 04:45:12 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on July 17, 2021, 11:49:52 PM

I've been on all of Corridor J except the segment from Celina to Livingston (TN 52). Of course, the routes south from Celina to I-40 (TN 53, TN 56) are built to the same quality as the rest of the corridor, so it works just as well.

The only reason anyone would have to follow Corridor J is for clinching purposes. Now that US 127 has been completed from KY 90 (Corridor J) to the state line (TN 111), that combination is the most direct route from Albany to Cookeville.
Last year Google Maps routed my dad and I on Corridor J from Celina to 'Nooga on our way to Florida in order to avoid some nasty traffic in the Nashville area. We were both shocked when TN 52 widened to four lanes coming out of Celina!

SkyPesos

I forgot about Corridor J and its routing. Might use it as an alternative to the more used "Interstate trucks and construction"  east of Corridor J on my next Florida trip.

adventurernumber1

I'll second the thought that I don't really dislike any of the ADHS corridors, as they're all really good.

Corridor A - I have been on almost the entirety of this corridor--interestingly, Corridor A composed almost the entirety of our route to Asheville, North Carolina in 2010, which is when I was able to clinch most of it (and also goes to show the usefulness of these corridors in facilitating connectivity in some of these regions with limited access to Interstate Highways). The section of Corridor A (GA SR 515) between I-575 and Blairsville is one I have been on numerous times, with it being in my neck of the woods. I also find fascinating how much of the GA 515 section of the corridor is concrete, which is not as common for non-freeway roads in this region. The scenery and the roads on this corridor are absolutely incredible, so it is definitely one of my favorites.

Corridor B - In real life, I have only been on the southernmost portion of this corridor, in Asheville. This is another incredible corridor with awesome roads and scenery. From what I've seen pictures/videos wise, the section of US 23/I-26 near the TN/NC border is absolutely exhilarating. I would imagine the parts of the corridor in Virginia are likewise.

Corridor J - In real life, I have only been on the US 27 freeway portion of this corridor (in and north of Chattanooga). Other relatives of mine have been on the entirety of TN 111 to Cookeville, TN, as I have some family up there. This corridor is definitely a useful one that falls right in between I-75 and I-65, serving needs such as travel from Cookeville to Chattanooga and points south. Much of this corridor also has incredible scenery, especially around Soddy-Daisy and Dunlap.

Corridor K - I have only been on the US 64/US 74 portion of this corridor from Cleveland, Tennessee to just west of Ducktown. This is another awesome corridor and one of my favorites, and it has beautiful scenery. The west end of the corridor, where US 74 meets I-75 in Cleveland, has also been improved greatly in the last few years. There's been widening, a redone interchange (with I-75), and a new exit here, which all looks great. I also find it fascinating how closely (relatively) Corridor K parallels Corridor A in parts of the mountains, but this does much to facilitate transportation in this region.

I do not believe I have been on any portion of any of the other corridors in real life (yet), but have seen a lot through media/GMSV. If I ever have the chance to go on it, I know Corridor H (US 48) would be one of my favorites, as that is an incredible road. I will have to do some exploring there on Google Maps.  :D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sparker

I've used various parts -- and sometimes complete -- ADHS corridors during my various travels.  Some are now Interstates (or quasi-Interstates): corridors E, T, and X; first did X about 2000 when it ended at AL 129; did all of T as NY 17 back in '89, and E later that same year when it was US 48 and again a few years later as I-68.  But those were just freeways, although T/NY 17 was incredibly scenic west of I-390; one of my all-time faves!  The US 48 trip, WB, segued onto Corridor "D", which I clinched in its entirety that year.  Another scenic wonder, particularly east of the Scioto.  The flat farmland from there to Cincinnati wasn't bad either, even in the middle of summer.  But one of the most memorable was a 2003 trip from Rochester, NY to Atlanta; that used corridor U in N. PA, corridor O/I-99 (as much as it as was open then), another run on E/I-68, L/US 19 in its entirety (even though I have mild acrophobia -- just kept my eyes pointed forward over the gorge).  Finished it off with a trip down the east end of "K"/US 74, shifting over to "A" on Spur 60, and then heading down A and then I-575 into Atlanta.  That was a particularly fun trip done in 2 days, with an overnight at the Red Roof in Fairmont, WV.    From central NY all the way into Atlanta itself, didn't get out of the hills -- and can't think of a single mile that wasn't in some way pretty damn scenic!

I-55

C -
Quote from: skluth on June 24, 2021, 07:05:21 PM
The corridors that include US 23 in Southern Ohio have a ridiculously low speed limit.

D - Only lack Piketon to Athens, could use higher speed limits west of I-77.

E - The terrain sets the real speed limits, not the signs. But let's be real, Interstates shouldn't have 40 mph speed zones.

G - My experience is limited to metro Charleston so I don't have much to say.

H -
Quote from: hbelkins on June 24, 2021, 12:36:44 PM
It is definitely my favorite and one of my most traveled. Will be nice to see the gap filled in.

L - Hard to beat the New River Gorge Bridge. I volunteered to go to Walmart for our youth retreat just to go over it another time.

S/F? - The tunnel was cool. If it wasn't even part of the official route.

V - I-565 still receiving upgrades.

X - Still not really developed. I had no clue what state I was supposed to be driving in the first time I took it.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sbeaver44

Does any Corridor other than X, or any state besides WV have special markers denoting ADHS corridors?  I honestly find ADHS corridors generally more interesting than Interstate highways.

To that end, big update from 7/16-22 on new ADHS segments for me:

I drove B between Pikeville and the OH 253/US 52 JCT as well as OH 823.   I continue to hold Corridor B in high regard.  B and US 23 in Kentucky are awesome.  I turned back over the KY 10/OH 823 bridge to finish US 23 in KY.  Side note: the lights and timing thereof in Portsmouth and New Boston are brutal and enraging.  OH 823 is a great drive and pretty though, love the rock cuts.

C honestly sucks.  No special scenery, too many lights, way too much two lane between OH 823 and I-270.

D I did at night, but only the Belpre-Clarksburg (Bridgeport) section.  D is awesome around Parkersburg, and Parkersburg appears to be a nice town.  D across WV at 11pm is absolutely brutal -- there's literally nothing

G I already did South of US 52, but this time I did it all.  Kentucky has awesome scenery but 55 could be raised to 65 like WV.   Standard WV scenery until South Charleston, I see the oft-mentioned commercial development as one gets into Charleston.  Still a very solid ADHS corridor.

L I finally finished -- It has been about 14 years since I had been to Beckley but I never did the Turnpike Connector before.  Took L also between Oak Hill and US 60, with the obligatory stop at the New River Gorge Bridge overlook.  I wish had had time to go down CR 82 -- it has been 12 years since I was down ther, but I love the view up from the bottom.  L was the first ADHS corridor I was aware I was on, back in 07, thanks to WVs markers.   Certainly living in the Harrisburg area all my life, I had been on M/N/O/P/T/U many times prior to 2007 but wasn't aware of rhe system then.

If the new 219 bypass at I-68 counts as N, I did that quick and hopped back on 68 via Bus 219 to reclinch 219 in MD. 

And finally, Q.  Taking both segments of Q/KY 3174 at night was neat. Kentucky does a good job lighting interchanges so even at night you can see the amazing rock cuts.  Such an empty road, esp the VA line segment.

I also drove Q between Tazewell and Princeton.  I like the setup around Bluefield where commercial development is a road over but still visible -- although the routings of US 19 and US 52 confuse me...

SM-T290

I-55

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 28, 2021, 08:48:15 PM
Does any Corridor other than X, or any state besides WV have special markers denoting ADHS corridors?  I honestly find ADHS corridors generally more interesting than Interstate highways.

Here's Corridor A in Georgia.

Also Corridor V in Alabama has the same markings to X.

Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

hbelkins

I would still like to see a system of universal route markers developed for the corridors, based on the ARC logo and including the corridor designation.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on July 29, 2021, 10:45:27 AM
I would still like to see a system of universal route markers developed for the corridors, based on the ARC logo and including the corridor designation.

I agree.   Although something more simple and road sign-like would be better for motorist purposes.  Ohio, on Corridor D, but not its others, just has a plate the size of a directional plate reading "Appalachian Highway" .  NC has a few similar signs, but in interstate blue and white.   I would not mind seeing a modification of that, just an extra plate reading "Corridor *"  in the sign assembly. 

BTW, a commonly repeated myth is that Florida's colored US signs were somehow illegal.  Yet explain the signs Alabama uses for Corridor V.

Rothman

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 28, 2021, 08:48:15 PM

To that end, big update from 7/16-22 on new ADHS segments for me:

I drove B between Pikeville and the OH 253/US 52 JCT as well as OH 823.   I continue to hold Corridor B in high regard.  B and US 23 in Kentucky are awesome.  I turned back over the KY 10/OH 823 bridge to finish US 23 in KY.  Side note: the lights and timing thereof in Portsmouth and New Boston are brutal and enraging.  OH 823 is a great drive and pretty though, love the rock cuts.

C honestly sucks.  No special scenery, too many lights, way too much two lane between OH 823 and I-270.

D I did at night, but only the Belpre-Clarksburg (Bridgeport) section.  D is awesome around Parkersburg, and Parkersburg appears to be a nice town.  D across WV at 11pm is absolutely brutal -- there's literally nothing

G I already did South of US 52, but this time I did it all.  Kentucky has awesome scenery but 55 could be raised to 65 like WV.   Standard WV scenery until South Charleston, I see the oft-mentioned commercial development as one gets into Charleston.  Still a very solid ADHS corridor.

L I finally finished -- It has been about 14 years since I had been to Beckley but I never did the Turnpike Connector before.  Took L also between Oak Hill and US 60, with the obligatory stop at the New River Gorge Bridge overlook.  I wish had had time to go down CR 82 -- it has been 12 years since I was down ther, but I love the view up from the bottom.  L was the first ADHS corridor I was aware I was on, back in 07, thanks to WVs markers.   Certainly living in the Harrisburg area all my life, I had been on M/N/O/P/T/U many times prior to 2007 but wasn't aware of rhe system then.

If the new 219 bypass at I-68 counts as N, I did that quick and hopped back on 68 via Bus 219 to reclinch 219 in MD. 

And finally, Q.  Taking both segments of Q/KY 3174 at night was neat. Kentucky does a good job lighting interchanges so even at night you can see the amazing rock cuts.  Such an empty road, esp the VA line segment.

I also drove Q between Tazewell and Princeton.  I like the setup around Bluefield where commercial development is a road over but still visible -- although the routings of US 19 and US 52 confuse me...

SM-T290
US 19 has special mile markers denoting its ADHS corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: SP Cook on July 29, 2021, 11:48:11 AM
BTW, a commonly repeated myth is that Florida's colored US signs were somehow illegal.  Yet explain the signs Alabama uses for Corridor V.

They weren't illegal, the feds just wouldn't pay for them out of the road fund since they didn't meet MUTCD standards.

The Alabama signs are probably paid for with special ADHS funding that FHWA can't yank.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.