News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Service Plazas on non-toll highways

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 29, 2021, 08:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I-95/128 has 2
MA 24 has one
I-95 in CT has a couple
Meritt Parkway has a few
Any other examples?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Chesapeake and Maryland House on I-95 in Maryland.

I wish I saw more of these in North Carolina.

SkyPesos

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 29, 2021, 08:56:21 PM

They are banned on non toll interstates

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LilianaUwU

Every service area in Québec is on a non-toll highway, as there's barely any tolled highways here (and from the 1970s until 2011, there were none at all). Also, none of the toll highways are in rural areas (both A-25 and A-30 are in the Montréal area), so they don't need service areas.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CtrlAltDel

Aren't these technically on toll roads? I think I-95 is tolled except that you can easily avoid paying, except on the bridge.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 29, 2021, 09:25:19 PM

Aren't these technically on toll roads? I think I-95 is tolled except that you can easily avoid paying, except on the bridge.
Isn't the only toll on the bridge?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 29, 2021, 09:28:45 PM

Yes, but I believe that toll maintains the whole road.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 29, 2021, 09:28:45 PM

Previously, there were tolls on every ramp, but they were removed a few decades ago (1980s maybe)?

Same with the Delaware Turnpike.  Only toll is at the DE/MD State line.

The Vince Lombardi Service Plaza is accessible on the NJ Turnpike without paying a toll.

There are numerous ways to get to many (if not all) of the service plazas on the Garden State Parkway, then exiting again, without paying a toll.

TheGrassGuy

There's a small one near Exit 13 on I-87
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Then do not forget the Baltimore Travel Center north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel on Free I-95.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DJ Particle

Does the complex at Exit 68 of US-6 in MA count?  It may not have a direct off-ramp from the freeway, but it does have one direct on-ramp Westbound.

plain

I believe the rule is freeways that were planned and constructed as interstates after 1960 can't have service plazas.

If a freeway is not conceived as an interstate after that year then said freeway could have a service plaza, toll or no toll. If it was planned as an interstate from the beginning and the process was 1960 onwards, it cannot have them. The Northwest Expwy (now JFK Mem Hwy) in MD is a strange bird. Was its process officially started before 1960? I know a turnpike was proposed before then (not necessarily by MD themselves) but I'm talking about when did the process actually get going?
Newark born, Richmond bred

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: plain on June 30, 2021, 12:09:18 AM
I believe the rule is freeways that were planned and constructed as interstates after 1960 can't have service plazas.

If a freeway is not conceived as an interstate after that year then said freeway could have a service plaza, toll or no toll. If it was planned as an interstate from the beginning and the process was 1960 onwards, it cannot have them. The Northwest Expwy (now JFK Mem Hwy) in MD is a strange bird. Was its process officially started before 1960? I know a turnpike was proposed before then (not necessarily by MD themselves) but I'm talking about when did the process actually get going?
Yes, that's why I-95/MA 128 has service plazas.

CtrlAltDel

It's not so much a rule as a law:

United States Code, Title 23, Chapter 1, Section 111, Subsection a:
All agreements between the Secretary and the State transportation department for the construction of projects on the Interstate System shall contain a clause providing that the State will not add any points of access to, or exit from, the project in addition to those approved by the Secretary in the plans for such project, without the prior approval of the Secretary. Such agreements shall also contain a clause providing that the State will not permit automotive service stations or other commercial establishments for serving motor vehicle users to be constructed or located on the rights-of-way of the Interstate System and will not change the boundary of any right-of-way on the Interstate System to accommodate construction of, or afford access to, an automotive service station or other commercial establishment. Such agreements may, however, authorize a State or political subdivision thereof to use or permit the use of the airspace above and below the established grade line of the highway pavement for such purposes as will not impair the full use and safety of the highway, as will not require or permit vehicular access to such space directly from such established grade line of the highway, or otherwise interfere in any way with the free flow of traffic on the Interstate System. Nothing in this section, or in any agreement entered into under this section, shall require the discontinuance, obstruction, or removal of any establishment for serving motor vehicle users on any highway which has been, or is hereafter, designated as a highway or route on the Interstate System (1) if such establishment (A) was in existence before January 1, 1960, (B) is owned by a State, and (C) is operated through concessionaries or otherwise, and (2) if all access to, and exits from, such establishment conform to the standards established for such a highway under this title.

JREwing78

KCRoadFan

It wasn't a full-fledged service area, but when we drove down I-395 in Connecticut in 2004, I remember seeing a rest area with a Mobil gas station in it. Don't know if it's still there or not.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 30, 2021, 01:41:47 AM
It wasn't a full-fledged service area, but when we drove down I-395 in Connecticut in 2004, I remember seeing a rest area with a Mobil gas station in it. Don't know if it's still there or not.
There are three of them, and they're all active.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

1995hoo

The Connecticut Turnpike was originally a toll road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

The Northeast Expwy (now JFK Mem Hwy) in MD is a strange bird. Was its process officially started before 1960? I know a turnpike was proposed before then (not necessarily by MD themselves) but I'm talking about when did the process actually get going?

MDTA's website for the JFK Highway states that planning began in 1955 (construction January 1962-November 1963), so based on that the process did indeed start before 1960.  However unlike other toll roads such as the PA Turnpike that became interstates later, I believe the Northeastern Expwy was always intended to be I-95.

Regardless, the Maryland House & Chesapeake House are the obvious remaining clues that the entire JFK Highway is technically the tolled facility, as opposed to the Tydings Bridge just being a toll bridge surrounded by freeway (which is what I initially thought as a kid the first time we took a roadtrip that direction).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

dvferyance

If you count the huge truck stop on I-80 in Walcott IA. It's basically like a tollway service plaza only bigger. I know Canada has several along ON-401.

GaryV

Quote from: dvferyance on June 30, 2021, 11:26:01 AM
If you count the huge truck stop on I-80 in Walcott IA. It's basically like a tollway service plaza only bigger.

You get off the freeway at an exit.  It's not a service plaza.  It may serve a similar purpose, but it is not exclusive to vehicles on I-80.

QuoteI know Canada has several along ON-401.

Yes, these are service plazas, and have been noted above.

1995hoo

Quote from: GaryV on June 30, 2021, 11:30:05 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 30, 2021, 11:26:01 AM
If you count the huge truck stop on I-80 in Walcott IA. It's basically like a tollway service plaza only bigger.

You get off the freeway at an exit.  It's not a service plaza.  It may serve a similar purpose, but it is not exclusive to vehicles on I-80.

While that one is not a service plaza in the sense referred to in this thread, the mere fact that you have to exit the highway to access a facility is not in and of itself necessarily disqualifying. The West Gardiner Service Plaza on the Maine Turnpike requires exiting the Turnpike (northbound via Exit 102; southbound by taking Exit 103 to I-295, then using Exit 51 on I-295), and it's accessible by traffic on the surface road or traffic using I-295 northbound, but there's no dispute that it's a service plaza that is there primarily because of the tolled highway nearby (E-ZPass users get some sort of break on the toll as long as they re-enter the Turnpike within a certain amount of time)–if you click into Street View, you can see the sign saying "Maine Turnpike West Gardiner Service Plaza."

I can think of various rest areas (not service areas) in other places that require exiting the highway and that are accessible to surface road traffic. A rest area on I-75 near Fort Myers requires exiting onto Daniels Parkway. A rest area on I-40 in Duplin County, North Carolina, is located in the median but requires exiting the highway and using a surface street to access the facility.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

^ The DE-1 rest area at Smyrna is located just off an exit north of town on US-13, as opposed to being on the mainline. US-13 traffic can access it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.