Top 5 most challenging conventional roads you’ve been on

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 05, 2021, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

What are the most difficult physically difficult/demanding conventional (meaning at least surfaced) roadways and highways that you have driven on?  I tend to find a good challenging road to be far more rewarding than driving most signed highways.  Given this thread would be dominated by ungraded Forest Service (graded Forest Roads count) and OHV roads I'm going to exclude them.  Some to come to mind for me are:

Mineral King Road

-  A 24.8 mile roadway with 697 curves, grades in excess of 10%, some poorly maintained dirt segments and a one lane width. 

Kaiser Pass Road

-  Similar to Mineral King but more narrow and has a really nasty cliff-face section north of the namesake pass.  It is really easy to encounter someone and have find a place to back up while on a steep ledge. 

Nacimiento-Fergusson Road

-  This is the only road across the Santa Lucia Mountains to Big Sur between Cambria and Carmel.  The initial segment in Fort Hunter Liggett is two lanes and flat but it drops to a single lane at the boundary of Los Padres National Forest.  The last seven miles drops from 2,700 feet to CA 1 near sea level while riding the side of a canyon. 

Arizona State Route 88

-  Lots of curves and recreational traffic on the paved segment from Apache Junction to Tortilla Flat.  The dirt segment is one lane, rides the side of a cliff and usually is heavily wash boarded. 

Onion Valley Road

-  The only entirely two lane road on my list.  Onion Valley Road is about 12.9 miles long and has an almost sustained 8% incline as it climbs from 3,946 feet above sea level to 9,219 feet.  There are numerous switchbacks which kind of remind me of Pikes Peak Highway but unlike that one you're definitely on your manage your coolant and brakes from overheating.

Some others that came to mine I found challenging:

-  Sherman Pass Road/Nine Mile Canyon Road
-  Bald Hills Road (barely not an OHV road)
-  Horseshoe Meadows Road
-  Tulare County Route J37/Balch Park Road
-  Pikes Peak Highway

Rothman

Magnolia Rd coming into Paw Paw, WV was a challenging one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

1. HI 550: I was a passenger (I was 12), but you go up over 4000 feet in 10 miles on some of the curviest road in the world.

2: MD 77 west of US 15: thought I'd take a shortcut to avoid Frederick on my way from Gettysburg to Hagerstown.  All the curves and wooded area as you pass by Camp David was very tedious to navigate.

3: US 6/202 between the Bear Mountain Bridge and US 9: a wicked winding road along the Palisades of the Hudson.

4. A 1/4 mile stretch of Shuttle Meadow Rd in Southington, CT.  So steep it's closed in the winter.  Known locally as "S-Mountain"  with 2 grueling curves and at lest a 13° grade.  Definitely recommend using low gear going down, and trucks are prohibited.

5. West Peak Drive in Meriden, CT.  Another one closed in the winter (and at night), but the drive from Hubbard Park up to Castle Craig is a 3 mile drive on a (paved) road barely wide enough for 2 cars with the last mile or so going up almost 400 feet in elevation.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

KY 199 (Dinky Road) in Pike County. A large portion of it is a gravel road, pretty much one-lane, that serves no residences and is primarily used by off-road ATVs. I actually had to stop, back up, and reposition my vehicle to negotiate a hairpin curve near the eastern end of the gravel section.

The back way into Burkes Garden from VA 42 (a signed secondary route) ranks up there as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 11:04:30 AM
KY 199 (Dinky Road) in Pike County. A large portion of it is a gravel road, pretty much one-lane, that serves no residences and is primarily used by off-road ATVs. I actually had to stop, back up, and reposition my vehicle to negotiate a hairpin curve near the eastern end of the gravel section.

The back way into Burkes Garden from VA 42 (a signed secondary route) ranks up there as well.

Holy cow.  I was wondering if the "back way" into Burkes Garden that is shown on maps was even passable for vehicles.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

In no particular order:

• CO5
  • Pikes Peak Highway
  • Trail Ridge Road
  • "Cottonwood Pass Road" - CR742, CR209, and CR306
  • CO65 over Grand Mesa

index

In no order:

• NC 197 heading out of Vilas, NC is pretty twisty and narrow. The whole way on it especially on the curves I thought I was going to clip something.
  • Literally my own road home. Take Shuttle Meadow road, make it about 2x as long, just as steep, and add several blind curves and idiot pedestrians around those blind curves who decide to take a little hike on the god damn road. Thankfully this road gets snow maintenance.
  • NC 226A (Little Switzerland Segment), self-explanatory
  • NC 80, Bakersville to Micaville, self-explanatory
  • I-77's section with the toll lanes. I love to complain about this road. It's challenging. For your patience.

I am yet to drive the gravel segments of NC 90 and NC 197 but I plan to do so soon, I predict they could replace at least one of the roads on this list, especially NC 90.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

sbeaver44

I just looked at VA 623/Burkes Garden on maps bc of this

What kind of road surface/lanes/guardrail are we talking?
Because I might put it on my to do list for when I'll be down that way in a little under 2 weeks

I just did US 211 over Thornton Gap on Tuesday and that was FUN.

hbelkins

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 08, 2021, 03:48:19 PM

Because I might put it on my to do list for when I'll be down that way in a little under 2 weeks

Quote from: Rothman on July 08, 2021, 11:10:38 AM

Holy cow.  I was wondering if the "back way" into Burkes Garden that is shown on maps was even passable for vehicles.

I'm having a hard time finding my pictures from my trip there a few years ago.

I took the back way into Burkes Garden from VA 42. The route is SR 623 and I'm pretty sure that Burkes Garden is signed on a little green sign there. The road starts out as paved but quickly gives way to gravel. It's slightly wider than one lane, and I didn't have any trouble driving the route in a 2008 Saturn Vue which doesn't have really high ground clearance. There were a few rutted out spots where water had washed across the road, which necessitated slow going, but I didn't have any problems. There were also a couple of fallen tree limbs but fortunately they were either very small or had already been run over and broken.

The main route into Burkes Garden, which intersects VA 61, is paved and is a typical route for that area.

If you want a double treat, after you get to Tazewell after having visited Burkes Garden (and checking out all the old cutout signs there), take VA 91 back to VA 42 and drive the gravel portion of the Virginia primary route.

Mapmikey

Some others:

NC 80 from US 70 to BRP
VA 56 from US 11 to VA 151
TN 32 from NC to US 321
US 421 in Tennessee
US 250 from WV 92 to Staunton
US 250 from WV 2 to nearly Fairmont
WV 71
Old VA 59 west of Columbia Furnace (connected to WV 59)
WV 46 west of US 220
VA 16 from Marion to Tazewell is both scary and awesome
Burke's Garden is worth the effort...lovely in there

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 08, 2021, 08:01:44 PM
Some others:

NC 80 from US 70 to BRP
VA 56 from US 11 to VA 151
TN 32 from NC to US 321
US 421 in Tennessee
US 250 from WV 92 to Staunton
US 250 from WV 2 to nearly Fairmont
WV 71
Old VA 59 west of Columbia Furnace (connected to WV 59)
WV 46 west of US 220
VA 16 from Marion to Tazewell is both scary and awesome
Burke's Garden is worth the effort...lovely in there

I've done all of those except NC 80, VA 56, TN 32, and old VA 59. I didn't find US 250 or WV 46 that particularly challenging, but I agree with WV 71 because much of it is hardly wider than one lane.

Same goes for WV 72 between US 219 and WV 32. And Alt. WV 72 (Shower Bath Road) was the roughest West Virginia primary route I've ever driven. Potholes aplenty.

VA 16 -- ranks with US 129 (Tail of the Dragon) in terms of curves and mountains, but I dislike the section north of Tazewell going to Bishop and then on to Welch.

I finally found my Burkes Garden pictures. Start with this one -- https://flic.kr/p/LQ9AHH -- and work your way forward to see the road heading north from VA 42 and some pictures from within the valley itself. When you're there, it's worth it to drive the loop and the dead-end routes to get the full flavor of the area. The little white signs pointing the way to family residences are neat.

jay8g

Definitely various roads in Iceland for me. It's hard to choose a top 5, but easy to pick a number one: Highway 917 in the northwest corner of Iceland (street view photo sphere). It didn't help that our rental car was a Chevy Spark that had a lot of trouble making it up the steeper hill segments (up to 15% according to this sign).

sparker

For sheer PITA problems, Little Tujunga Canyon Road from Lakeview Terrace north to the eastern side of Santa Clarita is always "fun"; a combination of neglected pavement and a roadbed prone to rockslides and portions of the shoulder simply having fallen into the parallel creekbed.  Pavement is also the main issue over near Hemet on (sporadically) signed Riverside County R3; this was CA 79 until the 1966 realignment through Winchester to the west; best described as "pothole central".  This seems to be a recurring issue with former Caltrans/DOH alignments; even with recently placed "County 66" pentagons, Old National Trails Highway north of Victorville has severe cracking/crumbling issues; dodging the pavement voids is almost a game!  Moving north, the road from Angwin to Middletown via Aetna Springs tends to be a barely paved single-lane facility that seems to barely dodge every tree in the area; a safe speed here is no more than 15-20 mph.  Finally, the road through the Sutter Buttes from Colusa to Sutter twists and turns, seemingly following a series of property lines.  However, I recommend doing it at least once in your lifetime; that mini-mountain range is quite scenic -- although my cousins, who have hunted in the area, claim there's more rattlesnakes concentrated in those hills than anywhere else in the north valley (if true, then hike at your own risk!).   

TheStranger

Route 130 between San Jose and Patterson.  I've driven it once westbound at night with a friend, while said friend drove us eastbound on a different trip during the daytime.  Westbound at night with traffic behind you and 10 MPH cures is pretty wild!

Route 330 between Highland and Running Springs near Big Bear.  Did this one at night in a rental car so that influences a little how I feel about that drive

Route 23 between US 101 in Thousand Oaks and Route 1 in Malibu with its tight switchbacks and elevation changes.

Bouquet Canyon Road between Palmdale and Santa Clarita.  Popular weekend motorcycle route which also sees commuter traffic during other days as drivers try to avoid congestion on Route 14.

as a passenger, Kennon Road between Rosario, La Union and Baguio (within but not part of Benguet Province) in the Philippines.  Textbook twisty mountain drive at the edge of hillsides, heavy traffic due to Baguio being a rather known tourist destination due to its cooler climate.

Chris Sampang

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheStranger on July 11, 2021, 11:41:22 AM
as a passenger, Kennon Road between Rosario, La Union and Baguio (within but not part of Benguet Province) in the Philippines.  Textbook twisty mountain drive at the edge of hillsides, heavy traffic due to Baguio being a rather known tourist destination due to its cooler climate.

The road to Baguio was super fun.  Also, the road between Banaue and Sagada was great fun riding on top of Jeepney.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Man, my list is probably a cakewalk compared to your guys's, but:

US 550 north of Durango to Ouray, CO
US 40 over Berthoud Pass in Colorado
US 50 through Gunnison and Monarch Pass in CO
the dirt road after the end of US 41 in MI
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Route 130 between San Jose and Patterson.  I've driven it once westbound at night with a friend, while said friend drove us eastbound on a different trip during the daytime.  Westbound at night with traffic behind you and 10 MPH cures is pretty wild!

Route 330 between Highland and Running Springs near Big Bear.  Did this one at night in a rental car so that influences a little how I feel about that drive

Route 23 between US 101 in Thousand Oaks and Route 1 in Malibu with its tight switchbacks and elevation changes.

Bouquet Canyon Road between Palmdale and Santa Clarita.  Popular weekend motorcycle route which also sees commuter traffic during other days as drivers try to avoid congestion on Route 14.

CA 130 is no joke, the segment climbing to Mount Hamilton under state maintenance is essentially just a paved stage road.  Decker Canyon on CA 23 is one hell of a beastly climb away from CA 1.  It's hard to envision 23 being a freeway such a short distance away.

TheStranger

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 11, 2021, 12:44:57 PM

The road to Baguio was super fun.  Also, the road between Banaue and Sagada was great fun riding on top of Jeepney.

Chris

I rode in one of those AUVs (Asian utility vehicle) type of vans for the drive up from Concepcion to Baguio in 2016.  I have a feeling it's a little more fun in a performance car!

Did you check out any of the Manila-area expressways during your time over there?
Chris Sampang

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheStranger on July 11, 2021, 06:32:01 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on July 11, 2021, 12:44:57 PM

Chris

I rode in one of those AUVs (Asian utility vehicle) type of vans for the drive up from Concepcion to Baguio in 2016.  I have a feeling it's a little more fun in a performance car!

Did you check out any of the Manila-area expressways during your time over there?

I didn't get to drive them myself, but I definitely rode on some of them in buses between different places when I was there.  I didn't spend a ton of time in Manila, instead focusing more in the mountains when I was on Luzon, and then I was in Cebu, Boracay, Bohol, and Palawan on various trips.  I've been to the Philippines three different times.  One of my favorite places, and I just found a Filipino restaurant here so I can get my sisig fix.  :biggrin:  I wish they also did lechon; then I'd be a really happy man.

Chris

sbeaver44

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2021, 07:43:33 PM

I took the back way into Burkes Garden from VA 42. The route is SR 623 and I'm pretty sure that Burkes Garden is signed on a little green sign there. The road starts out as paved but quickly gives way to gravel. It's slightly wider than one lane, and I didn't have any trouble driving the route in a 2008 Saturn Vue which doesn't have really high ground clearance. There were a few rutted out spots where water had washed across the road, which necessitated slow going, but I didn't have any problems. There were also a couple of fallen tree limbs but fortunately they were either very small or had already been run over and broken.

The main route into Burkes Garden, which intersects VA 61, is paved and is a typical route for that area.

If you want a double treat, after you get to Tazewell after having visited Burkes Garden (and checking out all the old cutout signs there), take VA 91 back to VA 42 and drive the gravel portion of the Virginia primary route.
Did back way into Burkes on Sat 7/17 -- which I wouldn't have known about without your post, hb

I survived it in a 2013 Chevy Sonic pretty easily, and the views coming down the hill into the valley are extremely rewarding. 

I passed 2-3 cars coming the other way

SM-T290

index

Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 29, 2021, 08:24:59 AM

Did back way into Burkes on Sat 7/17 -- which I wouldn't have known about without your post, hb

I survived it in a 2013 Chevy Sonic pretty easily, and the views coming down the hill into the valley are extremely rewarding. 

SM-T290
Just did the back way into Burkes Garden today, leaving the valley. Didn't have to pass any cars on the way and I managed well in a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, which is a pretty junky car. If anyone is interested, I have footage of the whole way out of the valley.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

I haven't done enough travel out west to know how this compares with some of the other examples, but how about the road to the top of Cumberland Gap? Long, winding, and lots of hairpin turns.

Rothman

Quote from: index on March 05, 2022, 07:47:54 PM
Quote from: sbeaver44 on July 29, 2021, 08:24:59 AM

SM-T290
Just did the back way into Burkes Garden today, leaving the valley. Didn't have to pass any cars on the way and I managed well in a 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, which is a pretty junky car. If anyone is interested, I have footage of the whole way out of the valley.
Probably the best info on the forum in weeks...thanks.

oscar

In Hawaii, HI 360 (part of the Hana Highway), and Maui County 31 continuing to Kipahulu village and Oheo Gulch. Hundreds of hairpin curves, dozens of one-lane bridges, 15mph limit for the first 30 miles except for a short and relatively straight "speed zone" with a slightly higher limit. And a historic designation for the bridges ensures that they will never be improved. For example, when one of those bridges had to be replaced due to earthquake damage, the replacement was only one lane, 13.2 feet wide, like the original.

On the Big Island, the 25% descent from the end of HI 240 about 0.75 miles into the Waipio Valley is restricted to 4x4s (AWD doesn't cut it). You need to descend in first gear, low range, to avoid burning up your brakes. People have been killed trying to do the descent in lesser vehicles. You'll also need low range to power your way out of the valley without engine overheating.

Hawaii has some other bad roads, including HI 560 on Kauai (also protected by historic designations), and the steep access road to the observatories on the Mauna Kea summit (most of which is unpaved).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on March 05, 2022, 09:59:36 PM
In Hawaii, HI 360 (part of the Hana Highway), and Maui County 31 continuing to Kipahulu village and Oheo Gulch. Hundreds of hairpin curves, dozens of one-lane bridges, 15mph limit for the first 30 miles except for a short and relatively straight "speed zone" with a slightly higher limit. And a historic designation for the bridges ensures that they will never be improved. For example, when one of those bridges had to be replaced due to earthquake damage, the replacement was only one lane, 13.2 feet wide, like the original.

On the Big Island, the 25% descent from the end of HI 240 about 0.75 miles into the Waipio Valley is restricted to 4x4s (AWD doesn't cut it). You need to descend in first gear, low range, to avoid burning up your brakes. People have been killed trying to do the descent in lesser vehicles. You'll also need low range to power your way out of the valley without engine overheating.

Hawaii has some other bad roads, including HI 560 on Kauai (also protected by historic designations), and the steep access road to the observatories on the Mauna Kea summit (most of which is unpaved).

Kolekole Pass Road caught my eye on maps of O'ahu.  I'm told Kolekole Road is available to access for anyone with a CAC card or form of DOD ID.  I'm told it's questionable in dry conditions for low clearance vehicles. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.