News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Most Hated Freeway in America

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, July 06, 2021, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 06, 2021, 03:54:25 PM
How does one even measure this? Conceptually its difficult.

If we simply count the number of people that vote for it being their least favorite the title will go to some congested item in the largest city that drives, ie. disqualifying NYC, Los Angeles.

But that is really a meaningless title since it simply has a very small plurality of votes by people who really don't have a clue about the subject.

A more informed opinion would take into account the number of motorists it impacts but also the nature and avoid-ability of those impacts.

I-95 would have been my vote a decade ago, with it having at least 2 serious gaps and many other choke-points and compromises. The elimination of one of those gaps helps matters, but it is still, as a whole, probabally the most badly overtaxed interstate route.

Where is the second gap?

HighwayStar

Washington DC. Although the beltway is signed as I-95 its not the actual place I-95 should be. You can see the stub on the north side where it hits the beltway.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

vdeane

I think they should fill in the gap on I-90 to make it a coast to coast interstate!  :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

SkyPesos

Since I-75 haven't been mentioned yet, I'll do the honors right now.

Roadgeekteen

Are we just naming every long interstate?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 12, 2021, 09:28:33 PM
Are we just naming every long interstate?

I-4 isn't long but has several hated stretches like Malfunction Junction and downtown Orlando.

bing101

I-80 the section from Hercules to Downtown San Francisco gets attention for traffic jams and hated in the Bay Area.I-880 Oakland and San Jose because the freeway goes from the Port of Oakland to Downtown San Jose.
I-710 Los Angeles area because of the 710 gap and the port of Long Beach traffic.

CapeCodder

Quote from: HighwayStar on July 12, 2021, 03:39:16 PM
Washington DC. Although the beltway is signed as I-95 its not the actual place I-95 should be. You can see the stub on the north side where it hits the beltway.

You're right. I was having a total ADD moment.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 07, 2021, 05:47:02 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on July 07, 2021, 05:38:26 PM
How about the WORTHLESS Chicago Skyway, the most expensive (per mile) toll road in the USA? If it didn't connect to the western end of the Indiana Toll Road, this monstrosity would've likely been torn down decades ago!

It's still better than shuffling along I-94 during rush hour.  Besides, I like how the backdrop of South Chicago and Gary give me Sonic 2 Oil Ocean vibes.

It's really both. People hate the Skyway because of the cost. People hate the Borman and Ford because of the massive congestion due to people avoiding the cost of the Skyway.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: CapeCodder on July 12, 2021, 03:25:16 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on July 06, 2021, 03:54:25 PM
How does one even measure this? Conceptually its difficult.

If we simply count the number of people that vote for it being their least favorite the title will go to some congested item in the largest city that drives, ie. disqualifying NYC, Los Angeles.

But that is really a meaningless title since it simply has a very small plurality of votes by people who really don't have a clue about the subject.

A more informed opinion would take into account the number of motorists it impacts but also the nature and avoid-ability of those impacts.

I-95 would have been my vote a decade ago, with it having at least 2 serious gaps and many other choke-points and compromises. The elimination of one of those gaps helps matters, but it is still, as a whole, probabally the most badly overtaxed interstate route.

Where is the second gap?
Quote from: HighwayStar on July 12, 2021, 03:39:16 PM
Make that three gaps, because in Boston, I-95 was also supposed to go straight through instead of around it on MA 128 like it does now. And IIRC, there's a rail line within the intended corridor that would've run in the median, if not to the side. In fact, the south end of the cancelled segment is a stub that extends for a few hundred feet before ending in the woods.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

sprjus4

^ In a way. I-95 was also supposed to travel closer to Fayetteville, NC, but ultimately was built further east. A freeway segment on the northern end of I-95 Business through represents this originally intention.

Flint1979

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.