News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Tripple Trailer Trucks

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 08, 2021, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

On my vacation trip to the southwest, I was driving I-15 from Nevada up to the I-70/I-15 intersection and noticed several triple trailer trucks.  I am sure they are illegal in Texas since I have never seen them before.  My question is where are they allowed and not allowed in the US?  Does anyone else find them odd, or is it a normal thing to most?

roadman65

I saw a few on I-5 in Oregon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Common sight in Nevada, a lot of people call them Land Trains.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2021, 01:20:56 PM

Aren't all trains on land?   :-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2021, 01:28:04 PM

Yes, one of those things that sounds cool until you think about it literally. 

JayhawkCO

GaryA

I remember seeing one (FedEx or UPS, iirc) southbound on I-15 well south of Vegas and wondering if he was going to drop one trailer in Primm, since no triples are allowed in California.

US 41

Full length doubles (two 53 footers) and triples (pups) are allowed on the NY Thruway; and I think on the Massachusetts TPK as well. I know triples are also allowed on the Ohio and Indiana Toll Roads (I-80), but I'm not sure if full length doubles are.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 41 on July 09, 2021, 08:16:01 PM
Full length doubles (two 53 footers) and triples (pups) are allowed on the NY Thruway; and I think on the Massachusetts TPK as well. I know triples are also allowed on the Ohio and Indiana Toll Roads (I-80), but I'm not sure if full length doubles are.

The map two posts above says yes.

Chris

Bickendan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 08, 2021, 01:32:26 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2021, 01:28:04 PM

Yes, one of those things that sounds cool until you think about it literally. 
Road trains works better

cpzilliacus

I disagree regarding the full length doubles (commonly called "turnpike doubles" though the Thruway Authority calls them "tandem trailers") on the New York State Thruway.  While they are certainly legal, I do not think two 53' trailers is allowed.  They have to be two 48' trailers (I think this applies to the Masspike and to the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road too).

The turnpikes in Kansas and Florida also allow turnpike doubles - not sure if they are restricted to two 48' trailers or if two 53' units are allowed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 11, 2021, 09:50:33 AM

I disagree regarding the full length doubles (commonly called "turnpike doubles" though the Thruway Authority calls them "tandem trailers") on the New York State Thruway.  While they are certainly legal, I do not thin two 53' trailers is allowed.  They have to be two 48' trailers (I think this applies to the Masspike and to the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road too).

The turnpikes in Kansas and Florida also allow turnpike doubles - not sure if they are restricted to two 48' trailers or if two 53' units are allowed.

Again, referencing the map above, it looks like 2x53' is okay.

Chris

I-55

Only place I've ever seen them is the Ohio Turnpike and I usually see quite a few when I'm on it.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

CtrlAltDel

Not that anyone asked, but I do not like these multiple trailers. I have never come across one that managed to stay in its lane for more than about four seconds.

Also, while my mind is on the subject, RVers should definitely receive some training before getting behind the wheel.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 11, 2021, 02:31:30 PM
Not that anyone asked, but I do not like these multiple trailers. I have never come across one that managed to stay in its lane for more than about four seconds.

Also, while my mind is on the subject, RVers should definitely receive some training before getting behind the wheel.

RVs catch a lot of wind, even on wind free days.  No amount of training will get you used to the sudden wind gusts out of nowhere because your rig caught a draft just right and pulls you into the next lane.  The professional 18-wheeler drivers succumb to the same thing so it's not just an RVer thing. 

When I am done with a days drive, I feel like I fought a bear and lost.  Its not as easy as it looks. 

vdeane

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 11, 2021, 09:57:09 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 11, 2021, 09:50:33 AM

I disagree regarding the full length doubles (commonly called "turnpike doubles" though the Thruway Authority calls them "tandem trailers") on the New York State Thruway.  While they are certainly legal, I do not thin two 53' trailers is allowed.  They have to be two 48' trailers (I think this applies to the Masspike and to the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road too).

Again, referencing the map above, it looks like 2x53' is okay.

Chris
2x53' isn't.  NY only allows 2x48', but the length of the cargo carrying unit, defined as the
semitrailer(s), the dolly, and any load thereon, is allowed to be 102 feet.  They may want to refine the map.

In a LCV/tandem, the maximum length for a semitrailer, including any load thereon, shall be 48 feet.

The maximum length for a LCV/tandem's cargo carrying unit, defined as the semitrailer(s), the dolly, and any load thereon, shall be 102 feet.

https://www.thruway.ny.gov/commercial/lcv/tap602.pdf
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 04:46:09 PM
2x53' isn't.  NY only allows 2x48', but the length of the cargo carrying unit, defined as the
semitrailer(s), the dolly, and any load thereon, is allowed to be 102 feet.  They may want to refine the map.

Good to know!

Chris

SectorZ

Quote from: jayhawkco on July 12, 2021, 11:08:34 AM
Quote from: vdeane on July 11, 2021, 04:46:09 PM

Good to know!

Chris

https://casetext.com/regulation/code-of-massachusetts-regulations/department-700-cmr-department-of-transportation/title-700-cmr-700-use-of-the-massachusetts-turnpike-and-the-metropolitan-highway-system/section-708-limitations-on-large-tandem-units

Massachusetts as well the limits are 2x48', with a total length of 108' (109' with overhang) permitted on the Mass Pike.

ftballfan

I seem to see a lot of turnpike triples on the Ohio Turnpike

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 11, 2021, 03:04:41 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 11, 2021, 02:31:30 PM
[...]
When I am done with a days drive, I feel like I fought a bear and lost.  Its not as easy as it looks.

no, it can't be easy at all, if for no other reason, the constant shifting gears. maybe not so much on the highway, but in town, seems you'd be driving one-handed most of the time.

much respect.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ilpt4u

Quote from: ftballfan on July 17, 2021, 11:54:38 PM
I seem to see a lot of turnpike triples on the Ohio Turnpike
I used to call the Indiana Toll Road and Ohio Turnpike the "Concrete/Asphalt Railroad"  due to all the Triples hauling down the Toll Roads

SSR_317

In my not-so-humble opinion, TRAINS BELONG ON THE RAILROAD, NOT ON OUR HIGHWAYS!

It's bad enough we have so many regular passenger vehicles and standard trucks being operated by distracted & impaired morons, but to allow these mini-trains on our roadways is sheer insanity, fueled by the greed of bought-off politicians and the corporations that own them. Oh, and you can add allowing any & all "driverless vehicles" to that as well. They really appear to want to kill us all!

End of rant.

Max Rockatansky

Considering how lite traffic is in rural Nevada I've never paid it much mind that a truck might be hauling three trailers. 

sparker

Quote from: GaryA on July 09, 2021, 07:44:10 PM
I remember seeing one (FedEx or UPS, iirc) southbound on I-15 well south of Vegas and wondering if he was going to drop one trailer in Primm, since no triples are allowed in California.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2021, 04:29:27 PM
Considering how lite traffic is in rural Nevada I've never paid it much mind that a truck might be hauling three trailers. 

IIRC, there is a sizeable truck service/parking facility at the Primm I-15 exit.  It's likely there are "transfer" tractors from the major trucking firms standing by there to take the additional trailers from the triples coming south on 15; depending upon the load schedule, they could continue as a single-trailer unit or wait until the next one to comprise a double.  There are similar facilities to this on I-5 at Medford, OR for the same purpose; at the OR 62 exit there is a "truck stop" with an extensive lot for those trailers temporarily held pending a "ride" south into CA.  Considering the twisting SB route uphill at Siskiyou Summit -- and the following Anderson Grade north of Yreka, CA -- it's probably for the best that triples are prohibited. 

ilpt4u

Speaking of Transfer sites, they are present along the OH Turnpike and the IN Toll Road, as well

UPS even has its own direct access to its Toledo distrubution center directly from the Turnpike exit for US 20/Exit 59:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5899402,-83.6693632,736m/data=!3m1!1e3

Good place for UPS, too, since that interchange is the "Breezewood"  connection between the Turnpike and I-475/US 23

I'm not sure how the transfer location works at the IN Toll Road and US 41 in Hammond: UPS has a transfer facility at the US 41 to IN Toll Road Eastbound ramp, but for traffic heading west to reach it, it has to utilize a short stretch of 141st St and US 41 from the Toll Road Westbound ramp to 141st/US 41. It is a pretty short stretch - maybe INDOT lets Triples use the short stretch to get to the transfer facility?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6444718,-87.5100598,658m/data=!3m1!1e3

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.