News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BY-PASS Bannered US Highways

Started by Avalanchez71, July 09, 2021, 12:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 12, 2021, 02:32:32 PM
West Virginia just designated Bypass US 19 at Beckley in the last two years. It's the only route signed as such in the state, although there is a Truck US 250 at Philippi that functions as a bypass of downtown. WV doesn't use Business routes.

Ohio doesn't have any Bypass US routes. There is one marked state route, Bypass SR 4, near Hamilton.

For years, West Virginia couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to call the route through Hurricane Business WV 34 or Alt WV 34. For years, signage for both was present. (I think it's all Alt now.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Bitmapped on July 12, 2021, 02:32:32 PM
West Virginia just designated Bypass US 19 at Beckley in the last two years. It's the only route signed as such in the state, although there is a Truck US 250 at Philippi that functions as a bypass of downtown. WV doesn't use Business routes.

Ohio doesn't have any Bypass US routes. There is one marked state route, Bypass SR 4, near Hamilton.

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2021, 03:26:19 PM
For years, West Virginia couldn't make up its mind if it wanted to call the route through Hurricane Business WV 34 or Alt WV 34. For years, signage for both was present. (I think it's all Alt now.)

Going back even further, Main Street became Alt US-60 when the bypass was completed south of Hurricane.  That made sense, since US-60 traffic would have stayed on the south side of the railroad.  But in those days, WV-34 crossed the C&O Railway mainline on a little one-lane wooden bridge.  It never made any sense to me that the DOH would switch the route to Alt WV-34, since that encouraged traffic to come down Main Street and make that nasty left turn to get over the railroad.  Yet locals continued to do that very maneuver for years after the WV-34 replacement bridge was constructed, even though Alt WV-34 was rerouted onto the old section of WV-34 in front of the old Post Office (which was still called Midland Trail back in those days).

KCRoadFan

I think US 70 through Durham, NC, splits into a BYPASS US 70 (along I-85 and then its own freeway) and BUSINESS US 70 (along Hillsborough Road, West Main Street, Chapel Hill Street, Holloway Street, and Miami Boulevard).

fillup420

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 12, 2021, 07:13:47 PM
I think US 70 through Durham, NC, splits into a BYPASS US 70 (along I-85 and then its own freeway) and BUSINESS US 70 (along Hillsborough Road, West Main Street, Chapel Hill Street, Holloway Street, and Miami Boulevard).
sort of... Business 70 is signed as such the entire way, but the bypass route is signed as mainline US 70 along I-85, and then Bypass 70 along the freeway that will soon become I-885. However, the Bypass banners are disappearing along that stretch too.

Avalanchez71

US 31 in Franklin, TN is an interesting one.  The route coming north splits at SR 397.  It splits as BUSINESS 31 and TRUCK 31.  There appears to be no mainline.  It is no doubt by looking at the state route log that SR 6 is the through route and it follows BUSINESS 31.  The way that TN signs business routes is to banner the route at the beginning of the route but reassurance markers lose the BUSINESS banner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.