News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

When did Kentucky start using centerline rumble strips.

Started by XamotCGC, July 11, 2021, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XamotCGC

This may be a stupid question, but when did Kentucky start using center line rumble strips?  I also notice the shoulders usies rumble strips as well.

Another I notice about Kentucky highways is that you don't see many gravel shoulders anymore.
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

Going to mention this since you're new here. If a thread is specific to a state, you can post it in the state's regional section instead of General Highways. Like threads specifically about Kentucky go in the Ohio Valley section.

hbelkins

Kentucky started using rolled-in rumble strips 35 years ago.

The sawed-in strips have been around for at least 20 years.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

XamotCGC

Sorry about putting the post in the wrong fourm.
Roads clinched.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

I remember a safety presentation years ago when the concept of center- and edgelines painted over sawed-in rumble strips was referred to as "rumble stripes." The idea is not only the sound of the strips alerting motorists, but the reflective striping paint applied to the vertical "walls" of the sawed-in strips is more visible at night and when the pavement is wet.

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 13, 2021, 12:03:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 11, 2021, 09:01:53 PM
CARDs/SHARDs aren't nationwide?

What are CARDs and SHARDs?
Centerline Audible Roadway Delineators and Secondary Highway Audible Roadway Delineators.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

And to clarify, SHARDS are on the shoulder, like they are on the interstates and other freeways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

I think one of the first major applications of centerline rumble strips was on the AA Highway because of its high accident rate - partly attributed to its lack of anything along much of the route that caused a high rate of drowsy driving and head-on accidents.

XamotCGC

The reason I asked the question was I noticed the center line rumble strips were new additions on some of the main highways after the roads were paved.  The center line never had any rumble strips  prior to paving.
Roads clinched.

GCrites

Quote from: seicer on July 13, 2021, 04:35:23 PM
I think one of the first major applications of centerline rumble strips was on the AA Highway because of its high accident rate - partly attributed to its lack of anything along much of the route that caused a high rate of drowsy driving and head-on accidents.

This is where I saw it for the first time, probably 2003 or 4.

wriddle082

I think I heard that around the time they started including CARDs as standard in resurfacing projects, they eliminated the yellow centerline reflectors.  Nowadays you only see white reflectors on multi lane highways, and they are back to being recessed in pavement grooves, and two are used at one time to maximize brightness.  First noticed this around 2014.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 15, 2021, 06:31:59 AM
I think I heard that around the time they started including CARDs as standard in resurfacing projects, they eliminated the yellow centerline reflectors.  Nowadays you only see white reflectors on multi lane highways, and they are back to being recessed in pavement grooves, and two are used at one time to maximize brightness.  First noticed this around 2014.

The recessed pavement markers went away on all but multilane routes several years ago. There was some sort of traffic study done that concluded that they did not improve visibility in nighttime or wet conditions. I suspect the participants in that study were under the influence of intoxicants. To me, the reflectors aren't needed on multilane highways, but are more needed on two-lane roads to help delineate the centerline. I know I always found them beneficial on rainy nights.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.