Larry Hagman( Infamous Love to hate JR Ewing and Maj. Nelson) Dies

Started by roadman65, November 24, 2012, 11:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I heard that the mighty Ewing Shark, JR Ewing, who was portrayed by Larry Hagman died from Liver Disease.  It is odd cause he just reprised his role of the Love to Hate oilman in the new series of Dallas on TNT.

Also, those who have been around as long as I remember him as Major Anthony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie with Barbara Eden. 

Dallas will not be the same without JR schemes to make himself more powerful and control his foes as well as family members.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Be interesting to see how J.R.'s son John Ross does this coming season without his father's involvement. Part of the season has already been filmed, so I'm sure they'll find some way to write him out partway through.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 24, 2012, 05:20:16 PM
Be interesting to see how J.R.'s son John Ross does this coming season without his father's involvement. Part of the season has already been filmed, so I'm sure they'll find some way to write him out partway through.
Maybe they will send him off to South America until they figure out what to do with him just like they did to  ole Jock in 1982. 

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

He was a good actor, and he hated W Bush.  He was A-OK in my book.

english si

How long before they reveal that it was all just a dream?

Brandon

Quote from: english si on November 25, 2012, 11:49:47 AM

Wait for Pam to wake up in the shower.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Maybe they will let Wayne Rodgers (fox news and former Trapper John actor) recast his character as he did for Anthony Nelson on the I Dream of Jeannie reunion.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

He had hash biscuits for breakfast.  Respect.  He was hardcore.

berberry

When he did comedy, his physical antics would remind me of Cary Grant.  He was usually better than the material he was given.  With some exceptions, I Dream Of Jeannie was silly and a waste of his talents.  And the stories on Dallas ranged from poor to maudlin.  The one exception was that prequel TV movie about Jock Ewing, and Hagman wasn't in that.

Sad to see him go.

roadman65

Quote from: berberry on November 27, 2012, 10:25:54 AM
When he did comedy, his physical antics would remind me of Cary Grant.  He was usually better than the material he was given.  With some exceptions, I Dream Of Jeannie was silly and a waste of his talents.  And the stories on Dallas ranged from poor to maudlin.  The one exception was that prequel TV movie about Jock Ewing, and Hagman wasn't in that.

Sad to see him go.
He also directed too!  He not only directed some Dallas episodes, but In The Heat Of The Night episodes as well.  He became good friends with Carroll O' Connor while doing that and behind the scenes is where its at nowadays.  Actors do not last forever, but there usually is a need for producers and directors.  Ron Howard was smart to go behind the scenes, as Happy Days soon ended afterward and it might of been the end for him.

I will always miss his devious laugh as JR though.

Sheryl Crowe

florida

Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2012, 02:57:40 PM

+1

We were hoping for her to have returned before his untimely death.
So many roads...so little time.

english si

81 doesn't seem that untimely - I know it was from cancer, but old people die of stuff like that.

Anyway, Larry Hagman's best work must have been putting up with being on surrealist British comedy 'gameshow' Shooting Stars and dealing with it in true gentlemanly fashion. It was before he had his liver transplant and he went through a lot of whisky.

http://youtu.be/3jj1SPCnB9I?t=5m30s <-here's a section of a 'making of' documentary where they discuss his appearance on the show. They played nice with him - they pushed the boat out on extravagance and thus made the show not rely on him being a fish out of water.

When they asked him "when a cat meows, is it saying 'get me out' as it's actually a rabbit stuck in a cats body?" he got the answer wrong, but was genre-savvy enough to know that 'true' might be right (it was false and they berated him for his stupidity "you go back to Dallas and cut a cat in half - you'll see there's no rabbit there!"). He also laughed at "True or False: Bill Cosby was the first black man?" and the response to the answer 'false' - "correct - it was Sidney Poitier", before realising that they wanted confused yank from him which he did brilliantly.

florida

Quote from: english si on November 28, 2012, 09:14:15 PM
81 doesn't seem that untimely - I know it was from cancer, but old people die of stuff like that.

Untimely as in they just resurrected the series and he passes away.
So many roads...so little time.

US71

Quote from: florida on November 28, 2012, 09:25:24 PM
Quote from: english si on November 28, 2012, 09:14:15 PM

Untimely as in they just resurrected the series and he passes away.

He did the first season and part of the second. I'm sure the writers must have had a "trap door"  in case something happened. Now, we'll just have to wait ti see what they'll do. Maybe he'll get shot (again) ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

1995hoo

Quote from: florida on November 28, 2012, 07:15:45 PM
Quote from: Brandon on November 25, 2012, 02:57:40 PM

+1

We were hoping for her to have returned before his untimely death.

The new show's producers said they hadn't asked her to participate.

1995hoo

J.R.'s funeral will air on March 11.

Word is they'll finally reveal what happened to Pam Ewing and that J.R. knew all along, though they haven't said whether Victoria Principal will appear on the show.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 11, 2013, 10:58:52 PM
J.R.'s funeral will air on March 11.

Word is they'll finally reveal what happened to Pam Ewing and that J.R. knew all along, though they haven't said whether Victoria Principal will appear on the show.

Be nice if she at least had a cameo... IF she's even interested. Maybe even have Barbara Eden show up as one of JR's mistresses  :-D

1995hoo

End of an era: J.R. Ewing is to be killed at some point during tonight's episode. No doubt it'll happen off-screen.

US71

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2013, 05:36:03 PM
End of an era: J.R. Ewing is to be killed at some point during tonight's episode. No doubt it'll happen off-screen.

Supposedly going to be a multi-part story: Who Killeed JR?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.