News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite BBQ joints

Started by bugo, January 10, 2013, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 18, 2013, 03:10:55 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2013, 03:03:31 PM
Just like Mexican.  I think of New Mexican cuisine and Mexican cuisine as separate but related things.

heh, the best Mexican food I've ever had was a  little stand by the side of highway 1 near the San Pedro Martir turnoff.  and it was fairly different from what they serve in the US.

I'm not negating that good Mexican food is served in New Mexico.  My point was that there is probably at least one really good Mexican restaurant in Maryland.  I suppose you're more likely to find authentic Mexican food in New Mexico than in Maryland, but that doesn't automatically mean any given dish from New Mexico is going to be better or more authentic than a similar dish in Maryland.  New Mexico is very proud of its cuisine, and distinguishes it from Mexican food.  In fact, many of our favorite Mexican classics are actually Tex-Mex or New Mexican in history.  Burritos, nachos, and chimichangas all originated along the border or even north of the border (especiailly the chimichanga).  Chile con carne–in particular the variety most familiar to Americans as "chili"–is largely a Texan/New Mexican dish.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

FWIW, the best Mexican food I've had was in Illinois, while the worst was in Oklahoma.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

realjd

Quote from: kphoger on January 18, 2013, 04:11:56 PM
FWIW, the best Mexican food I've had was in Illinois, while the worst was in Oklahoma.

The best Mexican I've had was in Indiana. Yes there's excellent Mexican along the border, but those farm laborer's wives in the midwest can sure cook...

corco

I would say Arizona typically has more Mexican Mexican food than New Mexico, although good New Mexican food is some of my favorite food on the planet. Even Arizona, though, has its own unique take on Mexican food (prickly pear, carne seca, Sonoran hot dog, etc).

kphoger

Quote from: corco on January 19, 2013, 09:49:52 AM
(prickly pear)

Now that we're totally off of BBQ.....  What is Arizona's take on prickly pear?  When I've seen it used in México, it's usually cooked and served as a garnish for tacos, molcajetes, etc.–similar in use and flavor to grilled green bell peppers in American food.
Male pronouns, please.

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on January 10, 2013, 06:33:30 PM
I'm a BBQ snob, and I have lots of favorite places.  I'll limit mine to a few favorite places in different geographical areas.
Kansas City: Gates or LC's

Men's Health magazine recently named Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City as both the best BBQ Joint in America as well as America's Manliest Restaurant.  Any truth to either assertion?

Here in Atlanta, I enjoy Hankook Taqueria, which has great Korean BBQ tacos (although my favorite is their buffalo chicken taco). Hankook has been proclaimed as America's Manliest Taco Stand.

For years, I enjoyed Harold's, located next door to the federal pen, for more traditional* BBQ (although a buddy of mine recently told me that they are closed).

Pappy Red's on Chattahoochee Ave. is a good BBQ fix every now and then.
Pig-n-Chik pretty good, too.

* from a Georgia-centric perspective.

sandiaman

try  the Serious Texas  BBQ  in Durango,CO.  kind  of  like  Rudy's,  but  more  fun .

Special K

Quote from: Grzrd on January 21, 2013, 07:41:42 PM
Men's Health magazine recently named Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City as both the best BBQ Joint in America as well as America's Manliest Restaurant.  Any truth to either assertion?

I've had better BBQ in manlier places. 

Don't get me wrong.  It's fine BBQ.  But, like anything that involves one's senses, it's in the eye (tongue?) of the beholder.

djsinco

My favorite BBQ place is the Hungry Farmer in Houston , TX. There are 2 locations (both on the North side.) I have been eating at the smaller location (just East of I-45 on Crosstimbers Blvd,) for over 30 years. The other location is older, but I like the smaller one better. Amazing food, great prices, all in an increasingly seedy neighborhood. As long as they are there, I will continue to be a customer. I have been served the same food by three generations of the family. Try it if you are near Houston, thank me later...
3 million miles and counting

BigMattFromTexas

Coopers BBQ in Valera, TX
Underwoods in Brownwood, TX
Rudy's!!

As far as prickly pear, my mom makes prickly pear jelly, as well as jalapeno jelly. I love the taste of prickly pears, the little slivers get annoying though...
BigMatt

Special K

I've tried the Shiner Prickly Pear seasonal.  It's... interesting.

Landshark

Quote from: nexus73 on January 11, 2013, 06:52:18 PM
Is there any truly good authentic BBQ in the PNW or California?  I'm having a hard time finding it!

Rick

Here:

http://www.ranchhousebbq.com/

It's between Olympia and McCleary on SR-8.  It's in the middle on nowhere, but always has a crowd.  Best stuff I have had west of Texas.

Landshark

My favorites are:

Franklin BBQ - Austin, TX (best brisket)
Salt Lick - Driftwood, TX
City Market - Luling, TX (ribs)
Brooks BBQ - Oneonta, NY (chicken)
Ranch House BBQ - Olympia, WA (best of the NW)
Rudy's (best chain)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.