News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Names for metropolitan areas

Started by hbelkins, January 31, 2013, 09:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Quote from: Road Hog on February 11, 2013, 12:28:47 PM
If you take a map of Southern Ontario and rotate it 90º clockwise, you'll see it's shaped like an elephant.

That's why Owen Sound is referred to as "The Elephant's Bunghole."  :-D

Maybe? I suck at drawing! :(

Landshark

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia = Puget Sound Area
Greater Vancouver, BC = Lower Mainland

cpzilliacus

If you take a map of Southern Ontario and rotate it 90º clockwise, you'll see it's shaped like an elephant.

What is considered Cottage Country in Ontario?

I've heard it mentioned on TV weather reports in Toronto, but they presume that the audience knows where Cottage Country is. 

Wikipedia has a Cottage Country entry here, but it make reference to three different parts of Ontario. 

Is that really correct?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 15, 2013, 02:44:59 AM

I've heard it mentioned on TV weather reports in Toronto, but they presume that the audience knows where Cottage Country is. 

Wikipedia has a Cottage Country entry here, but it make reference to three different parts of Ontario. 

Is that really correct?

If I were to guess the meaning, I'd come up with exactly what Wikipedia describes; seems pretty straightforward to me. It's what in the States would be called a resort area, as the Catskills or Poconos would be to NYC.

Desert Man

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 01, 2013, 09:20:46 AM
Riverside and its surrounding municipalities are known as the Inland Empire. 

the suburban area west of Burbank is known as the San Fernando Valley, or just "the Valley".

east of downtown San Diego is known as "east county", and north of San Diego is "north county", but these also encompass rural areas.

between San Jose and San Diego on 101 is Silicon Valley, and the corresponding region near Boston is called Route 128 (not I-95!).

Silicon Valley is located between San Francisco and San Jose, while the section of coast between SJ or Salinas and Santa Maria or Santa Barbara is called the "Central Coast Kingdom" and from there to SD is the "Southland" represented Southern California.

L.A. is known as "La-La-Land" and "the Big Orange", but was nicknamed "Los Anglos" when the city was portrayed as a bastion of WASP's in the mid 20th century.

Palm Springs and Palm Desert shared the titles of "Golf capital of America", "the Playground of Presidents" and "Heaven's waiting room" due to the large retiree population, while my hometown Indio Cal. is "the Hub of the Valley".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

djsinco

Mike D Boy,

All you spoke is true, but in your profile, you list "Sou Cal," which is a new one on me. I have of course, heard of SoCal, but never Sou Cal...
3 million miles and counting

xcellntbuy

The western crescent shape of land around Lake Ontario in Canada is referred to as the Golden Horseshoe.

kphoger

Quote from: djsinco on February 16, 2013, 03:39:27 AM
Mike D Boy,

All you spoke is true, but in your profile, you list "Sou Cal," which is a new one on me. I have of course, heard of SoCal, but never Sou Cal...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 15, 2013, 02:44:59 AM

Is that really correct?

Cottage country is a vague term in Ontario.  Wikipedia may list three different areas, but all three areas are really just a large swath of land to the north and east of Toronto.

I've always figured that Ontario looked like a fish, not an elephant.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on February 16, 2013, 11:11:44 AM
Quote from: djsinco on February 16, 2013, 03:39:27 AM
Mike D Boy,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.