News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daylight Saving Time In The US

Started by swbrotha100, March 09, 2013, 06:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

You seriously linked to the wikipedia article on the Estonian language?  That's awesome.   :biggrin:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

So, the US observes DST as well as Europe, Kyrgyzstan doesn't so (Sorry, too much Sporcle for me) and Alanland both does and doesn't.

Anyway, I'd like the US switched between Standard Time and DST at the same time as Europe, so I wouldn't have to change my time offset with the forum 4 times a year (Had to change it last Sunday when DST went into force here).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

J N Winkler

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 03, 2013, 06:31:20 AMAnyway, I'd like the US switched between Standard Time and DST at the same time as Europe, so I wouldn't have to change my time offset with the forum 4 times a year (Had to change it last Sunday when DST went into force here).

Before DST was expanded in the US, one of the time changes was actually coordinated across the Atlantic--I think it was in the spring.  This lack of coordination in time changes is one reason I never bother to adjust my timezone offset in any forum I visit.  Another is that changing a clock is wasted effort on any timekeeping device that I do not actually use to tell the time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 03, 2013, 11:27:17 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 03, 2013, 06:31:20 AMAnyway, I'd like the US switched between Standard Time and DST at the same time as Europe, so I wouldn't have to change my time offset with the forum 4 times a year (Had to change it last Sunday when DST went into force here).

Before DST was expanded in the US, one of the time changes was actually coordinated across the Atlantic--I think it was in the spring.  This lack of coordination in time changes is one reason I never bother to adjust my timezone offset in any forum I visit.  Another is that changing a clock is wasted effort on any timekeeping device that I do not actually use to tell the time.

It was the one in the fall (last Sunday in October). DST in Europe starts on the last Sunday in March. In the US it originally started on the last Sunday in April; during the second Reagan Administration it was extended to the first Sunday in April. The "last Sunday in October" end date remained the same until the 2007 change that moved it to "second Sunday in March through first Sunday in November."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 03, 2013, 11:27:17 AM

yeah, my forum settings are eastern time (must be a default) so the time stamps are a bit off... but I never pay too close attention to exactly when something was posted.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

elsmere241

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 03, 2013, 11:36:31 AMIt was the one in the fall (last Sunday in October). DST in Europe starts on the last Sunday in March. In the US it originally started on the last Sunday in April; during the second Reagan Administration it was extended to the first Sunday in April. The "last Sunday in October" end date remained the same until the 2007 change that moved it to "second Sunday in March through first Sunday in November."

When I lived in Italy (1992-1994) DST did start the last Sunday in March, but ended the last Sunday in September.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.