News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Trespassing

Started by Duke87, April 28, 2013, 09:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on April 28, 2013, 06:51:29 PM
There are plenty of perfectly appropriate things that still make me think; for example,a "No Trespassing" sign is exactly the right choice for what it's meant to convey, but at the same time it gets me thinking about when trespassing could ever be permitted, since it's by definition a prohibited activity.

It is not, however, prohibited to enter all properties. "No Trespassing" is a legal way of saying "you're not allowed to go here without the permission of this property's owner". If there is no sign saying otherwise it may be presumed that you are welcome to traipse through those woods over there if you like and no one will chase you away.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2013, 09:20:46 PM
There are plenty of perfectly appropriate things that still make me think; for example,a "No Trespassing" sign is exactly the right choice for what it's meant to convey, but at the same time it gets me thinking about when trespassing could ever be permitted, since it's by definition a prohibited activity.

It is not, however, prohibited to enter all properties. "No Trespassing" is a legal way of saying "you're not allowed to go here without the permission of this property's owner". If there is no sign saying otherwise it may be presumed that you are welcome to traipse through those woods over there if you like and no one will chase you away.
The point is that "no trespassing" is not the correct wording. It should be "entering on this property is trespassing".
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 28, 2013, 09:37:20 PM

The point is that "no trespassing" is not the correct wording. It should be "entering on this property is trespassing".
"Trespassers will be prosecuted" is an actual sign that works well for this.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on April 29, 2013, 07:30:54 PM

How about "Trespassers will be violated?"  ;-)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Technically, no. It doesn't tell you whether entering the property is trespassing, only that, if so, and you do, you will be prosecuted (which is a lie; you only will if caught).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Billy F 1988

Quote from: NE2 on April 29, 2013, 09:46:08 PM
Technically, no. It doesn't tell you whether entering the property is trespassing, only that, if so, and you do, you will be prosecuted (which is a lie; you only will if caught).

I've seen a sign like this before. It's pretty ambiguous. What the term "Trespasser will be prosecuted", in my approximation, means is that it could mean a whole numerous amount of offenses. You enter the property and abuse parts of it, that could be grounds for prosecution. You enter the property without specific permission, that can be grounds for prosecution. Signs like these just isn't enough. While "Trespassers will be shot" sounds extreme, "Trespassers will be prosecuted" just doesn't sound complete.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

amroad17

Need to add "Survivors will be prosecuted" to the "Trespassers will be shot" sign.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

Private property, do not molest?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: amroad17 on April 30, 2013, 03:10:08 AM
Need to add "Survivors will be prosecuted" to the "Trespassers will be shot" sign.

In most states, deadly force is only justified when in reasonable fear of your life.  Shooting trespassers is frowned upon.  Most people would take it as a joke, but suppose you put those signs up, and then there was a burglar and you did feel in fear of your life and shot him.  Then his survivors would have evidence to support a wrongful death civil suit against you.  A civil case only needs a majority of the jury to convict, and the burden of proof is only a preponderance of evidence.

kphoger

I think we're only proving his point:  that "No Trespassing" is perhaps the most legitimate way of wording the intention, and–similarly–N. Y. City is perhaps the most legitimate way of wording the destination.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

At least on most private property in parts of Maryland that I am familiar with, law enforcement will respond to calls about trespassing, but will usually not arrest someone, at least not for a first offense on that property.

They will "trespass notify" an unwanted person, and ask them to leave the property immediately - and if the person returns  within one year, then they are subject to immediate arrest.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Central Avenue

Is the use of the word "trespassing" mandatory? Because it seems like the message could be conveyed simply and in a (mostly) semantically correct way by just saying "private property, keep out."
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

Quote from: Central Avenue on May 02, 2013, 04:21:40 PM
Is the use of the word "trespassing" mandatory? Because it seems like the message could be conveyed simply and in a (mostly) semantically correct way by just saying "private property, keep out."

for the TL;DR crowd: GTFO.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

empirestate

Quote from: Central Avenue on May 02, 2013, 04:21:40 PM

Which actually gives more information than "no trespassing". We know without reading a sign that trespassing is, by definition, prohibited. What we don't know, without being informed, is whether entering the land before us would constitute trespassing because it is privately owned.

A similar situation would be, seeing a sign that said "Bridge freezes before roadway" that wasn't accompanied by a sign showing the current temperature. Many of us already know that bridges freeze first, but we probably wouldn't know, at near-freezing temperatures, whether freezing was physically possible just at the moment.

US 41

How about this?

No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Brandon

Quote from: US 41 on May 03, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
How about this?

I personally prefer "Trespassers Will Be Eaten".
By who or what, I have no idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on May 03, 2013, 01:43:11 PM

a grue, I would guess.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 03, 2013, 01:47:35 PM

a grue, I would guess.

In Alanland, it's probably a goat.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

For what it's worth....  Etymologically speaking, trespass only means cross over or cross toward–so, theoretically, such an act might not be illegal.  However, the word has been used to denote an illegal action since the 15th Century.  Similarly–and tangentially illustrating the negative connotation of "crossing over"–the word obituary, etymologically, means go toward or cross over (in fact, we still to this day refer to dying as "crossing over").
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman

Quote from: US 41 on May 03, 2013, 12:56:45 PM
How about this?

Common sign at alligator farms.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

As I understand it, trespassing is not illegal unless there is statute law making it so--it is, however, tortious, and in the absence of actual damage to property, it is "cured" by leaving at once when the property owner asks you to do so.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

realjd

My understanding of the signs is this: for someone to be tresspassing, they must knowingly be on the land against the wishes of the landowner. If it isn't posted, the land owner can call the cops and the person can be issued a tresspass warning. If they then leave, no offense was committed. No tresspassing signs, if posted according to state law (every 500 feet in Florida), act as that notice so anyone there is considered duly warned and can be arrested.

I am not a lawyer but this site seems to match what I'm saying:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe111

cpzilliacus

Quote from: realjd on May 08, 2013, 11:04:57 PM
My understanding of the signs is this: for someone to be tresspassing, they must knowingly be on the land against the wishes of the landowner. If it isn't posted, the land owner can call the cops and the person can be issued a tresspass warning. If they then leave, no offense was committed. No tresspassing signs, if posted according to state law (every 500 feet in Florida), act as that notice so anyone the. Tresspassing can be arrested.

Maryland law enforcement effectively operates that way.  My home in Silver Spring, Maryland is in a homeowners' association, and as a result all of our streets and sidewalks are private property. It's not gated, but we have a "no soliciting" and "no door-to-door advertising" policy.

Most of our local county police force will ask unwanted solicitors to leave, which they do.

Persons who appear to have no reason to be on our property are sometimes "trespass notified," which makes them subject to arrest for one year after that notification if they come back.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 09, 2013, 06:13:09 AM
My home in Silver Spring, Maryland is in a homeowners' association, and as a result all of our streets and sidewalks are private property.
A does not usually imply B.

jeffandnicole

Like most laws, statutes, policies, rules, etc, they will differ from state to state.

If you come on my property, and refuse to leave, and I call the cops, and they actually come while you are still on my property, you can be charged with trespassing.  Sure, they'll give you amble opportunity to leave first.  But...if you don't, you can be charged with trespassing. 

No signs are needed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.