News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Working on Memorial Day 2013?

Started by ZLoth, May 27, 2013, 09:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

The Memorial Day holiday is when may of us either honor those who have sacrificed so that we may enjoy our freedom, and it's also the kickoff of summer. However, some of us put our paws in the air and said, "Sure, I'll take a bit more overtime.", while others just got told "You're working!". At least my job isn't one of the Top 10 Worst Jobs to Work at on Memorial Day
. How about you? Did you have to work on Memorial Day?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

froggie

I'm on deployment.  I'm working EVERY day.

golden eagle

No, but my job is open on Memorial Day. I work in the call center of a wireless phone company.

agentsteel53

nope.  was originally going to work and take a day off at another time, but I finished a lot of projects at work ahead of time, so I get today and some other day off as well. whee!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

Having only ever worked in the professional world, being at work on a weekend or major holiday is a foreign concept to me.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Takumi

Yep. On my lunch break as I post this. I've worked all weekend but have tomorrow off.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US81

The last 7 hours of my shift were on Memorial Day.  But I'm off now!  :)

Oh, and btw, there are some categories of professionals whose work schedule includes nights, weekends and holidays.

DTComposer

Quote from: Duke87 on May 27, 2013, 11:27:24 AM
Having only ever worked in the professional world, being at work on a weekend or major holiday is a foreign concept to me.
Quote from: US81 on May 27, 2013, 11:48:27 AM
Oh, and btw, there are some categories of professionals whose work schedule includes nights, weekends and holidays.

Agreed. I'm sure you didn't mean your comment as derogatory, but my "day job" has been senior management, doing what I think you would consider "professional" work for twenty years, and working on weekends and holidays are a regular occurrence - it depends on what industry you're in. As far as my "side jobs" go (music direction and conducting), I'm considered one of the top "professionals" in my area, and that work is almost all nights and weekends.

Also, ask many doctors what their shifts can be like.

All that being said, my only work today is installing crown molding in my bathroom.

(edited to clarify my job so it doesn't sound like I'm a prostitute). :-|

ZLoth

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2013, 10:14:49 AMI'm on deployment.  I'm working EVERY day.
And for your service, we salute YOU!  :clap:
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

I'm working my normal shift today.  I might be getting double time for the holiday, but I'm not completely sure.  Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, and the rules for which is which seem to be less than simple.  They might also depend on barometric pressure and the price of tea in China, for all I can tell.

It's actually been a little busier in my office than other Mondays of late.  With the recent tornadic activity in Oklahoma, we sent a lot of our cable techs to the OKC area.  Instead of our usual three techs in that area, we're running ten there today.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

Quote from: DTComposer on May 27, 2013, 12:17:12 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 27, 2013, 11:27:24 AM
Quote from: US81 on May 27, 2013, 11:48:27 AM

Agreed. I'm sure you didn't mean your comment as derogatory, but my "day job" has been senior management, doing what I think you would consider "professional" work for twenty years, and working on weekends and holidays are a regular occurrence - it depends on what industry you're in.

I was originally going to say "office world", but my job also involves a fair amount of work in the field, so that wouldn't be quite accurate. But yes, "professional" is perhaps not the best word either because it can describe many situations dissimilar to mine. *shrug* Point is I have never had a job that has demanded I be anywhere outside of the "standard" schedule of 8 hours (9-5 or similar), 5 weekdays.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Yeah, I ended up going in for an hour. Somebody needed help preparing for a Kinky Boots audition.

hbelkins

Spent many years in a field that didn't allow the luxury of Monday holidays off, unless Christmas or New Year's Day fell on a Monday. And I even think there were some Jan. 1's that I had to go to work.

Monday holidays are one reason I like the job I have now. If my services are required for work-related duties, I get comp time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: ZLoth on May 27, 2013, 03:03:38 PM
Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2013, 10:14:49 AMI'm on deployment.  I'm working EVERY day.
And for your service, we salute YOU!  :clap:
We're only supposed to salute the dead ones today...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

QuoteWe're only supposed to salute the dead ones today...

The original intention, yes.  But it doesn't mean you're "not supposed to salute the live ones".....especially in this day and age.

kphoger

I salute you, but by doing so in no way do I imply that you have fallen in the line of duty, nor do I mean to diminish the beliefs of those who are opposed to the act of war.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.