News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tres Rios Freeway- AZ

Started by kdk, October 26, 2017, 03:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKRhodes

I'm not a huge fan of the name Tres Rios. It feels hacky, a basic geographical observation translated into spanish.

Estrella Mountain Freeway would be more appropriate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadiejay on November 24, 2017, 06:49:12 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the name Tres Rios. It feels hacky, a basic geographical observation translated into spanish.

That would probably more fitting if I-11 took a cut through the mountains to Casa Grande and Maricopa. 

JKRhodes

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 24, 2017, 07:15:32 AM
Quote from: roadiejay on November 24, 2017, 06:49:12 AM

That would probably more fitting if I-11 took a cut through the mountains to Casa Grande and Maricopa.

I just read up on it and found out about this... Apparently there was a large flood control / wetland preservation project undertaken in the early 2000's near the convergence of those three rivers, completed in 2010 and named Tres Rios. So my hunch that it was a random spanish name drawn out of a hat is bunk.

Between the existing Agua Fria Freeway and the future Hassayampa Freeway (I-11), I can see perhaps they're going for a "river based" naming convention in the west valley, as opposed to the "mountain based" naming convention in the East Valley.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.