News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TX 130 southern extension to open in October

Started by wxfree, October 02, 2012, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on October 25, 2012, 05:47:09 PM
And to prove speed kills, there was a wreck southbound. Maybe that was the first for the new segment. Lots of troopers and an ambulance.
One wreck hardly proves what Europe has been disproving for decades.  Difference in speed, and going too fast for conditions, are the problems.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2012, 05:59:55 PM
I have photographic evidence that the speed limit is, indeed, 85mph.  first of its kind in the nation.  second only to 140km/h in Poland and Bulgaria as highest posted speed limit in the world.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 25, 2012, 05:59:55 PM
I have photographic evidence that the speed limit is, indeed, 85mph.  first of its kind in the nation.  second only to 140km/h in Poland and Bulgaria as highest posted speed limit in the world.

Jeff R. drove it yesterday:

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: deanej on October 25, 2012, 06:28:00 PM
And to prove speed kills, there was a wreck southbound. Maybe that was the first for the new segment. Lots of troopers and an ambulance.

One wreck hardly proves what Europe has been disproving for decades.  Difference in speed, and going too fast for conditions, are the problems.

The "sardonic" emoticon is hard to type with fat fingers on a Kindle keypad.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

NBC News reported the wreck on last night's 7 PM broadcast. Difference is, they weren't being sardonic. Always amuses me how people in New York City who may not even own cars think they're qualified to say what the speed limit should be on a road over a thousand miles away.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

Chris

Accidents happen on all freeways, with any speed limit. Of course the media is eager to report accidents on this freeway with interstellar speed limits.

bugo

I wonder what the accident stats are like from the Oklahoma turnpikes from when they were 55 MPH until they were raised to 75?  Does anybody know in what increments it was raised?  Were they 65 or 70 at one time before they were raised to 75?

wxfree

SH 130 CC's Twitter page has a link to a video of someone driving the road, compressed to about 3 minutes.  It's a good way to see what the road's like before driving it.  I've been trying to see as many of the signs as possible, with some difficulty.  If you pause at just the right time, you see one exit is has an advisory speed of 65.  The frontage road (US 183 at this point) has a speed limit of 55.  I don't think I've ever seen an exit advisory speed higher than the speed limit on the frontage road.

I don't think it's set that way to prevent a severe speed change.  Along I-10, where the speed limit is 80, there are exits with advisory speeds as low as 15, so they don't seem to have too much objection to big changes at ramps.  I hope to drive this road before too long, and will definitely have an interest in observing the signs.

The video is at:
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

BiggieJohn

Quote from: deanej on October 25, 2012, 06:28:00 PM

100% correct.  Until the state elects to post minimum speeds on the 80/85 mph tollways, grandma and the feral hogs will be moving much slower the the posted limit creating traffic hazards.  The hogs and deer seem to be loosing so far based on the amount of roadkill on the shoulders.

Chris

Are speed differences really dangerous? In Germany trucks move at 50 - 55 mph while traffic moves around it at 80 - 90 minimum, sometimes over 120 mph. The German Autobahn is one of the safest road systems in the world.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2012, 08:31:46 AM
Are speed differences really dangerous? In Germany trucks move at 50 - 55 mph while traffic moves around it at 80 - 90 minimum, sometimes over 120 mph. The German Autobahn is one of the safest road systems in the world.

imagine one of those trucks getting all amerikanischscheissekopf and moving into the left lane at 50-55.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on October 26, 2012, 05:38:13 PM
I wonder what the accident stats are like from the Oklahoma turnpikes from when they were 55 MPH until they were raised to 75?  Does anybody know in what increments it was raised?  Were they 65 or 70 at one time before they were raised to 75?

IIRC, they went straight back to 70, then to 75. Will ahve to research that.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

BiggieJohn

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2012, 08:31:46 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I understood that trucks are required to stay in the right lane only on the Autobahn.

Also, the lanes are very wide, and curves are very broad with clear sight lines.

There are several places along SH130 in Texas that have very steep hills for a freeway with 80mph speed limits

Chris

Quote from: BiggieJohn on October 31, 2012, 03:00:02 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I understood that trucks are required to stay in the right lane only on the Autobahn.

Generally yes, but they do pass other trucks in the left lane (so-called elephant races). They are forbidden in the left lane if there are three or more lanes though. It's very common to see traffic brake from 90+ mph to 50 or 55 to wait until the truck completes its pass.

Even eastern U.S. states could to with 80 mph limits if lane discipline was better.

BiggieJohn

Quote from: Chris on October 31, 2012, 03:15:17 PM
Even eastern U.S. states could to with 80 mph limits if lane discipline was better.

and there is the problem.  SUV's and 3/4 ton 7.6L V10 trucks just dont stop like a Ferrari or Porsche do.

vdeane

Maybe we should allow smaller cars that can stop faster drive faster than SUVs.  This would have the beneficial side effect of causing Americans to consider buying other types of vehicles at times when the gas price isn't $10/gallon.  Right now there's an "SUV or nothing" mentality that needs to be broken.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on November 01, 2012, 09:53:30 AM
Maybe we should allow smaller cars that can stop faster drive faster than SUVs.  This would have the beneficial side effect of causing Americans to consider buying other types of vehicles at times when the gas price isn't $10/gallon.  Right now there's an "SUV or nothing" mentality that needs to be broken.

that would be a cumbersome, yet excellent sign.

SPEED LIMIT - 85
TRUCKS - 55
VEHICLES FOR WHICH YOU GOT A TAX WRITEOFF AS AN AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT BECAUSE IT'S SUCH A FUCKING BEHEMOTH - 60

jake@aaroads.com

BiggieJohn

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 01, 2012, 12:56:30 PM
Quote from: deanej on November 01, 2012, 09:53:30 AM

that would be a cumbersome, yet excellent sign.

SPEED LIMIT - 85
TRUCKS - 55
VEHICLES FOR WHICH YOU GOT A TAX WRITEOFF AS AN AGRICULTURAL IMPLEMENT BECAUSE IT'S SUCH A FUCKING BEHEMOTH - 60

+1

agentsteel53

I forgot to add:

BEHEMOTHS NOT PERMITTED IN LEFT LANE.

(add STRICTLY ENFORCED to taste.)

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 01, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
STRICTLY ... to taste

Nice.

The phrase to taste, of course, made me think of cookbooks.  Strictly, to taste would be a bit like calling for one scant, heaping cup.

Back on topic, I wonder how long it will take me to talk myself into getting a TxTag, just so I can bypass Austin and all those other pseudotowns between there and San Antonio.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on November 01, 2012, 08:33:52 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 01, 2012, 07:50:40 PM
STRICTLY ... to taste

Nice.

The phrase to taste, of course, made me think of cookbooks.  Strictly, to taste would be a bit like calling for one scant, heaping cup.

Back on topic, I wonder how long it will take me to talk myself into getting a TxTag, just so I can bypass Austin and all those other pseudotowns between there and San Antonio.
I, for one, do not want to taste an SUV, based on the smell. But some of the things inside the SUV, now... say no more.

BiggieJohn

Quote from: InterstateNG on October 26, 2012, 02:48:58 PM
Perhaps they hit a wild hog:

http://www.statesman.com/news/ap/texas/high-speed-drivers-running-into-central-texas-hogs/nSpG4/

I finally had the chance to drive the new SH130 all the way to Seguin.

Traffic was very light at noon, but the turkey vultures seems to be enjoying the roadkill buffet.

wxfree

I drove the length of the road today and got some photos.  There were a couple of unusual uses of signs.  Interstate signs are commonly posted on off-system roads, but along 130 there are junction signs also posted along county roads.  I haven't seen junction signs used in that way before.

Another different use of signs is where the county road crossing ends and the county-maintained portion resumes.

A sign instructing drivers to yield to oncoming traffic, on a straight road with no intersection.  I've never seen that, either.  The end of the higher-quality pavement through the crossing is visible at the bottom.  Both of these photos were taken along County Road 217 where the frontage road begins.

Among other findings that I found interesting is that the speed limit along the non-US 183 frontage road is 50.  There are many exit advisory speeds of 65, even though the frontage road speed limits are lower, which I've never seen anywhere else.  Also, there are signs indicating traffic signals ahead at three points along US 183, as well as stop lines but no signals yet.  There are currently no signals or stops along that section, and weren't any along the previous alignment.  They not only reduced the speed limit but are also installing unneeded signals to discourage people from using the non-toll lanes.

The most outstanding finding I have to report is that this road crosses some really beautiful scenery.  I didn't get any photos, since my cheap camera wouldn't do it justice.  There are some beautiful wide, green valleys traversed by the road.  They could market it as not just a bypass, but a scenic bypass (until development starts ruining the landscapes).
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.