News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wooden sign posts in eastern NC

Started by fillup420, May 10, 2021, 06:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

I drive around NC a lot for work. I have noticed that any construction activities involving sign replacement receive wooden posts for the new signs. It seems like a dated practice, given the tendency of wood to decay over time. However, I like it. I enjoy the look of some fresh wooden sign posts. I'm curious, is this a practice unique to the coastal plains of North Carolina? It is definitely not common in western parts of the state. What about other states?

tolbs17

Quote from: fillup420 on May 10, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
I drive around NC a lot for work. I have noticed that any construction activities involving sign replacement receive wooden posts for the new signs. It seems like a dated practice, given the tendency of wood to decay over time. However, I like it. I enjoy the look of some fresh wooden sign posts. I'm curious, is this a practice unique to the coastal plains of North Carolina? It is definitely not common in western parts of the state. What about other states?
When they replaced signs near the SW bypass, the steel ones were replaced with wood.

architect77

I personally don't like it, but California uses wood posts on shoulder signs throughout the state. .I like beefy wide-flange posts.

You know the standards for these signs in NC is very expensive. Wineries pay $60,000 for 1 or 2 signs on the interstate.

They all have concrete footings, and sturdy bolted plates for the posts.

fillup420

Quote from: architect77 on May 16, 2021, 05:27:03 AM
I personally don't like it, but California uses wood posts on shoulder signs throughout the state. .I like beefy wide-flange posts.

You know the standards for these signs in NC is very expensive. Wineries pay $60,000 for 1 or 2 signs on the interstate.

They all have concrete footings, and sturdy bolted plates for the posts.

I can see why the DOT charges handsomely for those signs. It must bring in a good amount of business though

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.