News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by TheStranger - Today at 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 12:59:33 PMI was more confused why the exit number for Ming on 99 is mentioned on route along EB58. 

https://flic.kr/p/2pxkQUN

This reminds me of how CalTrans in Sacramento has assigned an exit number from Route 51/Business I-80 for a ramp that can ONLY be accessed by Route 99 north...(T Street)
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by jdunlop - Today at 03:40:59 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on Today at 11:51:33 AMA continuous-flow intersection would likely take up less space than the existing traffic circle. It would also require plowing down all the trees within the circle, but if it improves traffic flow, it will be a plus. Can continuous-flow intersections work for an intersection that has five legs, like this one does?

I haven't looked at the preliminary plans, but I would expect that two of the legs will be combined to make the main intersection four legs.

Cutting down any trees has stopped improvements there for about thirty years.  Traffic's gotten bad enough that the locals no longer favor the trees over improved traffic flow.
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by ARMOURERERIC - Today at 03:37:32 PM
How much of a per gallon tax hike would the state need to at least stop falling behind on their stip?
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 01, 2024, 12:16:48 PMYesterday, the second PIM was held for the Reimagining WIS 175 Study: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/175study/default.aspx. As everyone likely knows, STH 175 is a small chunk of what was proposed of the Stadium Freeway: https://www.wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/stadium.html. In the alternatives for the Southern Segment (https://hdp-us-prod-app-graef-engage-files.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/3517/1457/5221/2024-04-30_WIS_175_PIM_2_Alternatives_-_Full_Length_South.pdf) and the Northern Segment (https://hdp-us-prod-app-graef-engage-files.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/3717/1457/7708/2024-04-30_WIS_175_PIM_2_Alternatives_-Full_Length_North.pdf); my preference would be Alt. 4 for the Southern Segment, and Alt. 2 for the Northern Segment.

Posting my reply to this post in this thread where it'll fit better.

For the southern portion, I'll take the roundabout SPUI from option 5 and the Martin-State connector from option 6.

I'd also like to see the east end of Bluemound turn to Wisconsin Ave like it currently does.  Straightening out like in all the options; not sure I get that.  Gonna have a lot of traffic turning on that connector street; like most of the traffic; especially on game days.

The north portion; option 4 is closest to what I had thought about.  But for me, it's shifted west a tiny bet to stay within the existing r/w.  There's no reason to take more land from Washington Park than necessary by aligning it where the proposal shows.

The tunnel option is just ridiculous.  Not sure why that's even in there.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Nevada
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 03:35:34 PM
For what it's worth, all of my interactions with the state government so far have been overwhelmingly positive. The lady I worked with at the DMV to get my license and registration transferred was probably the nicest government official I've ever worked with. I checked my voter registration and I'm in the system already, two days after registration—that's lightning-fast compared to what I was used to in Oklahoma.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 03:30:52 PM
Would be pretty hilarious if Mariota and Brissett are both week 1 starters.
Northeast / Re: What is it with I-95 & bri...
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 03:29:36 PM
Well, it looks like CTDOT will have to replace the bridge with Federal Emergency money.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Minnesota Notes
Last post by triplemultiplex - Today at 03:17:59 PM
Two seasons Up North:
Winter and Under Construction

I wonder what kind of interesting archeological discovery they made?  I expect a fascinating documentary about it one year from now, Minnesota PBS! ;)
Northeast / Re: New York
Last post by Rothman - Today at 03:16:10 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2024, 08:55:12 PMThe materials from tonight's open house on I-787, including potential concepts, are online.

https://webapps.dot.ny.gov/reimagining-i-787
Why do they Even bother with tunnel options since we know, especially given a lot of posters here Who just go with the status quo of oh, it's too expensive. Doesn't make sense blah, blah blah.

I mean, even now, it seems like every other country and their dog are able to build tunnels with no problem. We just can't do it in the united states. It should have been done in Syracuse, but they didn't do it So what makes anyone think they're gonna do it here. They need to keep this freeway. But i'm sure they will go with the boulevard option. Par for the course with new york.

You're still beating this broken drum...
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by Rothman - Today at 03:13:45 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on Today at 07:38:15 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 01, 2024, 04:02:55 PMHaving control cities on a beltway is kind of tricky.  The signs from the Mass Pike to I-95/128 in Newton did used to say "POINTS NORTH" and "SOUTH SHORE".  Honestly, it made sense.  I-95/128 controls have been Braintree, Dedham, Waltham, Peabody, Gloucester.  Braintree was mostly phased out in favor of Boston, which may make sense from an interstate standpoint, but that's not necessarily where everyone's going.  "Mass Pike Points West" signs didn't even have I-90 shields way back when, so that was more of your directional.

Then there's the signs modified for a sense of consistency between directions.  Like the ones heading east on the pike for I-84 that say "Hartford/NY City".  Noone in their right mind would be going east and looking for NY City.  But because the westbound signs say that, they were changed.  Same goes for heading west on the pike and getting off at I-495, where "Portsmouth NH" is used.  Would'nt Lowell make more sense?

Heck, we could discuss control city follies until the cows come home, but, heck, that would just be "udder"ly ridiculous. 
 :)  :)  :)

If I get on the Pike from MA 32 in Palmer, that's right in between I-91 and I-84. If I decide to use I-84 to head back west on I-84 to reach my destination, what should the control cities be? My answer would be Hartford at the very least.

And locals would think you're silly for taking the long way 'round.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.