News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Bridge over Turner Turnpike in Stroud hit by over-height truck

Started by bugo, November 10, 2023, 01:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

https://kfor.com/news/local/ota-i-44-turner-turnpike-bridge-hit-by-semi-truck-causing-detours/

OTA engineers said damage done by an illegal, over-height semi-tractor trailer to the Stroud bridge over the westbound I-44-Turner Turnpike lanes late Wednesday night is more severe than any of them have seen in their transportation careers.

As of early morning Thursday, all lanes of westbound I-44/Turner Turnpike were open and by mid-Thursday morning the westbound Turner Turnpike on-ramp was open to traffic. The westbound Turner Turnpike off-ramp to SH-99 in Stroud will remain closed until bridge repairs can be made. Westbound motorists who want to exit to Stroud are being detoured at the
Bristow exit (mm 196) to SH-66 to Stroud.

Portable message boards are in place on westbound Turner Turnpike directing Stroud traffic to Bristow.

The bridge has a more than 15-foot vertical clearance above the Turner Turnpike and serves as the westbound on- and off-ramp (mm 179) to SH-99 in Stroud.

According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, the load carried by the semi-tractor trailer was above 15-feet in height and struck the bridge with such force that it dislodged a bridge beam as well as caused damage to the bridge deck and parapet wall above. As the bridge beam fell to the ground, it impacted a second semi-truck following the first truck, causing severe damage to the vehicle.

"It's unbelievable that this crash did not result in a fatality or serious injuries," said OTA Deputy Director Joe Echelle. "We are so grateful that the driver of the second vehicle, who was at the wrong place at the wrong time, walked away from this incident. This bridge damage is severe and unlike any I've seen in my more than 20-year career in transportation."

OTA maintenance crews were called to the scene by OHP within minutes of the bridge hit and quickly closed I-44/Turner Turnpike lanes and the westbound I-44/Turner Turnpike on- and off-ramps while the bridge was assessed and crews and first responders cleared the scene.

Secretary of Transportation and OTA Executive Director Tim Gatz made an emergency declaration Thursday morning, which allows immediate repairs to restore the bridge's structural integrity, making it safe for the public traveling on and below the bridge.

Once work begins, motorists can expect lane closures and ramp closures on westbound I-44/Turner Turnpike at Stroud for up to a week. Specific lane closure information will be provided as it becomes available.

"We are continuing to see damage to our state transportation infrastructure from illegal, over-height semi-trucks. This is a critical issue that we are calling on those in the trucking industry to address," Gatz said. "While both the OTA and the Oklahoma Department of Transportation are doing their part by reconstructing bridges to 17-foot vertical clearance as funds allow, it still remains law in Oklahoma that trucks should not be over 14-feet in height to safely navigate the state highway and turnpike system.

We implore truck drivers to follow all Oklahoma laws and work with our Size and Weights
permitting office to ensure that all travelers are safe on our roadways and that our infrastructure remains undamaged by these careless acts."

This bridge will be removed as part of a future ACCESS Oklahoma project in OTA's long-range infrastructure improvement plan. OTA will continue widening I-44/Turner Turnpike to six lanes between Tulsa and Oklahoma City.

UPDATE 11/09/2023 9:30 AM
QuoteAccording to the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority, the I-44/Turner Turnpike on-ramp has reopened following a bridge hit Wednesday night.

The westbound I-44/Turner Turnpike off-ramp at Stroud remains closed due to damage.

Road Hog

That's funny, a railroad overpass over I-35E in practically downtown Dallas was hit by a truck yesterday and it got wedged underneath. They thought they'd have to shut the whole thing down in both directions, which would be Carmageddon times 10. But I guess the authorities broke out the Holy Can Opener and catastrophe was averted.

Rothman

And then Midler Ave over I-690 in Syracuse which had decent damage done by a bucket truck of sorts where the lift may not have been stowed properly (per my last understanding).

Bridge hits seem to be doing more damage to bridges than they did in days past.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bobby5280

It takes a real doofus to load up a semi truck over 15' in height and then try blazing a trail on the turnpike.
:-/

kphoger

Quote from: Road Hog on November 10, 2023, 02:49:53 AM
I guess the authorities broke out the Holy Can Opener and catastrophe was averted.

Don't they usually just deflate the tires, such that the vehicle can simply back out of the jam?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 10, 2023, 11:32:33 AM
It takes a real doofus to load up a semi truck over 15' in height and then try blazing a trail on the turnpike.

Ironically, he only hit the last beam on the bridge. The rest LOOKS to be undamaged.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

LilianaUwU

It takes a real doofus to not know the damn height of their truck.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ilpt4u

Quote from: LilianaUwU on November 10, 2023, 10:30:00 PM
It takes a real doofus to not know the damn height of their truck.
11'8" YouTube page. Lots of real doofuses out there

J N Winkler

Quote from: bwana39 on November 10, 2023, 08:58:23 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 10, 2023, 11:32:33 AMIt takes a real doofus to load up a semi truck over 15' in height and then try blazing a trail on the turnpike.

Ironically, he only hit the last beam on the bridge. The rest LOOKS to be undamaged.

This occurred over the westbound lanes, which are on a rising grade while the bridge is flat.  I suspect the truck simply ran out of clearance as it passed underneath.

StreetView imagery from last August appears to show a trucker parked underneath the bridge trying to determine whether his load will clear it.

The Kansas Turnpike has been raising clearances underneath the original 1956 bridges by placing struts underneath the bearings (example).  This comes in response to lobbying from the trucking industry.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

intelati49

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 13, 2023, 01:27:13 AM
The Kansas Turnpike has been raising clearances underneath the original 1956 bridges by placing struts underneath the bearings (example).  This comes in response to lobbying from the trucking industry.

That looks janky and a half. Yeesh

kalvado

Quote from: intelati49 on November 13, 2023, 02:16:32 PM

As long as it works...
We have a very troubled railroad bridge with no good detours over here. Railroad says raising it would require regrading too much rail to even talk about it.
It is hit ... well, I think they should start reporting "bridge wasn't hit this week" as breaking news. 
Makes at least some sense as rail is much more sensitive to grading

Rothman

Looks like my old basement. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bwana39

Adding bearings (struts) to bridges like this is nothing new. Some get installed upon initial construction. Others like  this one in  Bossier City LA ( https://maps.app.goo.gl/DjsgKV5A9wWo7g8f7)  are done to reduce repetitive truck impacts.

The bridge image is distorted in the street view J.N. posted. THat is all that I see that looks irregular.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

fhmiii

A railroad bridge over Independence Avenue here in Kansas City is (in)famous for this.  Its clearance is clearly marked at 12ft 0in, yet truck, RV, and a few other drivers hit it just about every week.

The bridge has a facebook page and a Twitter/X account.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Bobby5280

Quote from: ilpt4u11'8" YouTube page. Lots of real doofuses out there

Most of those "can-opener" incidents are from people driving rented box trucks or people driving other kinds of trucks that don't require a CDL.

The incident in Stroud is thanks to a commercial trucker who should have known better. Instead, he figuratively said "screw it" and disregarded paying attention to details in order to save a little bit of time. Very common problem in many work places. But it's bad when the work place is something like a moving semi truck.

Rothman

The low bridge on the Onondaga Lake Parkway, which trucks aren't supposed to be on anyway, was a favorite of CDL-holding third-party drivers contracted by the local Amazon facility.

rte66man

It's a good thing this bridge (along with the others between OKC and Kellyville) will be replaced under ACCESS Oklahoma
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rte66man

Quote from: rte66man on November 14, 2023, 08:28:43 AM
It's a good thing this bridge (along with the others between OKC and Kellyville) will be replaced under ACCESS Oklahoma

UPDATE:  The bridge will be demolished and not replaced as the entire interchange will be updated.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

intelati49

Quote from: rte66man on November 14, 2023, 08:30:24 AM
Quote from: rte66man on November 14, 2023, 08:28:43 AM

UPDATE:  The bridge will be demolished and not replaced as the entire interchange will be updated.
You have the project site? I never have good luck finding that stuff

Bobby5280

A rough diagram is available in the project map at the ACCESS Oklahoma web site. The web site had a "TBA" listed for the project timeline. The interchange was supposed to be re-built at part of the I-44 widening project through that area. Obviously the interchange re-build will need to be sped up a bit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.