Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 25, 2019, 09:56:30 AM
Quote from: SCtoKC on January 24, 2019, 05:46:56 PM
Kindergarten: The Letter People
1st Grade: Reading Rainbow
3rd-5th Grade: Bill Nye the Science Guy
6th-8th Grade: Channel One

I also remember watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? at home in the afternoons.  I still think Carmen Sandiego is the reason I love geography.
Channel One was canceled about 6 months ago, must not be popular anymore as I have never heard of other people doing it.

I can't believe Ch. 1 lasted THIS long! I remember my school getting it in the late 80s/early 90s.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

abefroman329

Quote from: cjk374 on January 26, 2019, 07:06:14 PM

I also remember watching Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? at home in the afternoons.  I still think Carmen Sandiego is the reason I love geography.
Channel One was canceled about 6 months ago, must not be popular anymore as I have never heard of other people doing it.

I can't believe Ch. 1 lasted THIS long! I remember my school getting it in the late 80s/early 90s.
Seems like it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to stream the content via the Internet than to maintain all those televisions and satellite dishes.

cjk374

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 26, 2019, 07:29:29 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on January 26, 2019, 07:06:14 PM

Seems like it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper to stream the content via the Internet than to maintain all those televisions and satellite dishes.

There was no such thing as internet connection back then. But for the most recent installs, yes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: dcharlie on January 25, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Does anyone remember Zoom?

I remember they had "rapping" that was very different from what rap is now.  People insist that rapping is a drug-induced condition, but it has much more innocent origins.

The main idea of Zoom is that the cast would perform scripts sent in by viewers, and I remember the Zip Code at the end of the song they sing of the address: "Boston Mass, oh two one three four.  Send it to Zoom!"  I was glad to see the same Zip Code on Frontline for a while, until they finally moved to a different part of town.

abefroman329

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 27, 2019, 11:00:26 PMPeople insist that rapping is a drug-induced condition, but it has much more innocent origins.
People also insisted the same thing about jazz. People are morons.

Rothman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 27, 2019, 11:00:26 PM
Quote from: dcharlie on January 25, 2019, 11:29:47 AM
Does anyone remember Zoom?

I remember they had "rapping" that was very different from what rap is now.  People insist that rapping is a drug-induced condition, but it has much more innocent origins.

The main idea of Zoom is that the cast would perform scripts sent in by viewers, and I remember the Zip Code at the end of the song they sing of the address: "Boston Mass, oh two one three four.  Send it to Zoom!"  I was glad to see the same Zip Code on Frontline for a while, until they finally moved to a different part of town.
Heh.  I remember the 1970s version of Zoom.  Love that people now nostalgically remember the reboot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Speaking of PBS, though a non-sequitur of sorts, I read this morning that Caroll Spinney aka Big Bird had once been considered for the Challenger Space Shuttle crew when NASA was first considering sending civilians.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

In_Correct

Channel One News probably wanted its own proprietary hardware as much as possible. And actually there was Internet back then, but it was impossible to stream media. Now it is only expensive. Channel One News wanted to reach to a young audience with allowances and lunch money even if the school buildings did not yet have any way to view Channel One News. If the school had no connection at all or an insufficient connection, the costs for Channel One News to deploy its hardware would be equal the costs to deploy Fiber Internet Service. Another thing benefits Channel One News is that many schools heavily censor the Web Sites. Channel One News wanted to eliminate that possibility.

I have watched both versions of Zoom. The old version did indeed have a Piano Jazz theme. The late 1990s version used a much longer Rap variant.

The 1970s apparel included horizontal striped shirts. The 1990s version included a very bright mostly solid single colour shirts with the (updated) ZOOM logo on it.

The programme let viewers submit requests to them with a loss of ownership disclaimer at the end credits. The cast (replaced every year except 2 or 3 of them from the previous year, to not recur more than 2 years, except for Carolone Botelho) would read the submissions.

These submissions are performing arts, science experiments, recipes, debates, and community action.

It seemed to have inspired a Noggin show "Sponk!" that was very short lived. Hosted by Johnathan McClain, Karen Fowler, 8 cast members, 4 boys, 4 girls, 2 teams, 2 sitting out, with the occasional studio audience participant, and of course took submissions from the home audience. Also, a home audience viewer would win a small prize. These performances are not too different from Zoom. The main two differences is they divided into teams and their performances were timed with its buzzer the sound of a squawking chicken. The cast fought over the prized golden rubber chicken.

ZOOM segments were never timed.

Sponk!'s cast never changed as it was only one year of production.

A possible reason why neither show is on the air any more is be cause kids these days won't put their cell phones long enough to watch and participate Television.

If ZOOM ever returns, it will probably have a theme music consisting of squeaking mice.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bandit957

I remember something in high school that I think was sort of like a poster version of Channel One. They had these huge posters that described different events and activities, and the lower portion of the poster was just a big row of ads. (I remember an ad for Sears with a drawing of a person opening their mouth, revealing the Sears logo.)
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I also remember similar posters in college, but I don't think they had ads. I remember one of the posters featured a small photo of singer Jewel, and I think Jewel would have too much integrity to participate in a Channel One-style project.

One day, I noticed someone blew a bubble with bubble gum and stuck it over Jewel's face on this poster, to make it appear as if Jewel was blowing a bubble.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: In_Correct on January 28, 2019, 10:41:49 AMA possible reason why neither show is on the air any more is be cause kids these days won't put their cell phones long enough to watch and participate Television
Childrens' television programming still exists.  They watch it on...their phones.

In_Correct

Good. But I still don't believe children today would actively participating in interactive programmes such as "ZOOM" and "Sponk!".
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

abefroman329

Quote from: In_Correct on January 28, 2019, 12:52:24 PM
Good. But I still don't believe children today would actively participating in interactive programmes such as "ZOOM" and "Sponk!".
I think you'd be surprised.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 28, 2019, 11:04:55 AM
Quote from: In_Correct on January 28, 2019, 10:41:49 AMA possible reason why neither show is on the air any more is be cause kids these days won't put their cell phones long enough to watch and participate Television
Childrens' television programming still exists.  They watch it on...their phones.
Some stuff on youtube is anything but kid friendly though.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

RobbieL2415

The ironic thing about naming your program Channel One is that Ch. 1 VHF is not allowed to be used for any purposes due to interference with aviation and amateur radio users.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: bandit957 on January 28, 2019, 11:03:57 AM
I also remember similar posters in college, but I don't think they had ads. I remember one of the posters featured a small photo of singer Jewel, and I think Jewel would have too much integrity to participate in a Channel One-style project.

One day, I noticed someone blew a bubble with bubble gum and stuck it over Jewel's face on this poster, to make it appear as if Jewel was blowing a bubble.

We had posters like that in my college, Washington State University in 1988, posted by Whittle Communications, which I remembered was the owner of Channel One, which I luckily never saw.  One poster was a large close up of political talk host Morton Downey Jr., which my roommate wanted when they changed the poster in a month.  I found it wadded up in the trash, so I retrieved it for him.

Scott5114

I think Channel One provided the TVs that we watched the program on. The Channel One TVs were mounted on an arm that was mounted to the wall. They were set to automatically come on whenever it started. Later on, the school got some TVs on carts that were pushed around for showing movies, so I guess they either couldn't or didn't want to use or upgrade the Channel One TVs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2019, 06:13:38 AMThey were set to automatically come on whenever it started.
Well that says it all, doesn't it.

mapman1071

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 28, 2019, 10:12:55 PM
The ironic thing about naming your program Channel One is that Ch. 1 VHF is not allowed to be used for any purposes due to interference with aviation and amateur radio users.

Most cable systems and some satellite systems have a channel 1
but Even in Over The Air Digital Broadcasting the FCC has not approved a Virtual Channel 1.x

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.