News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Providence RI "city meet" - May 4, 2019

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 05, 2018, 08:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In which part of the metro Providence area should I find a restaurant for us to meet up for lunch for this meet?

The northern part (Pawtucket, Central Falls, Fairlawn, etc.)
0 (0%)
The western/northwestern part (North Providence, Johnston, Smithfield, etc.)
0 (0%)
The southern part (Cranston, Warwick, etc.)
2 (22.2%)
East Providence
2 (22.2%)
(I don't know enough about this area to have an opinion.)
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 30, 2018, 09:10:24 PM

A.J. Bertin

It's official! The first-ever "city meet" will take place in Providence on Saturday, May 4, 2019. Thanks to everyone who voted in the date poll! I know this meet is still six months away, but I tend to be an early planner. I just got my time-off request approved for my drive out to Rhode Island and back home to Michigan for the necessary dates around this meet.

Because I know next to nothing about Providence and because this is a big experiment for me, I have created a poll in this thread asking folks which part of the metro Providence area in which I should look for a restaurant. (Actually, if this meet goes well and I decide to host more city meets in the future, this will probably be my M.O. especially since my plan would be to host additional meets in the future in cities that I don't have much knowledge about.)

Anyway, I briefly considered the idea of looking for a restaurant in more of a downtown-ish area of Providence, but then I decided that parking might be a challenge especially with me not being familiar enough with the city know how parking works, where parking might be free (or not free), etc. So I decided that more of a suburban area for lunch would be better... near a mall and/or big-box retail where folks can leave their cars without any trouble if they wish to do so.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to vote in this new poll. I look forward to seeing the results!
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

I voted for East Providence. There are numerous local favorites there, such as (but not limited to) the Red Bridge Tavern, Pazi's Place Diner, Papa Sam's Pizza, the Phillips Street Restaurant, and The Burrito Bowl (which was coming soon on Google Street View). Also, Gregg's has a East Providence location (the one in Providence was host to the 2010 Providence Road Meet), and so does Chelo's Hometown Bar & Grille.

Alps

Depending how many people you get and what type of restaurant you want, you have a few choices of places to go. You'll find a good mix of chains, bars, and local spots with plenty of room around TF Green (south of the city), but there are also options east and even a couple north.

kevinb1994

If we decide to attend this city meet (likely now now that I decided to drop Portsmouth Ohio and Pittsburgh Pennsylvania from meets interested in attending next year), we will be flying in and out of PVD via JAX, with a transfer at BWI (we will be using Southwest Airlines).

EDIT: Due to my one and only big sister's Rutgers-New Brunswick graduation ceremony (aka commencement ceremony) being held later in May of next year (on Sunday the 19th), we will probably pull out of this city meet as well due to a potential scheduling conflict.

A.J. Bertin

I will likely be creating a Facebook event soon for this meet... as long as Facebook allows me to leave some details blank as "to be determined". Even though the exact location hasn't been identified, I know I will at least want to get this out on Facebook and start inviting my Facebook friends. It will be a "public" event so my Facebook friends can invite others with whom I am not "friends" there.
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 26, 2018, 07:18:17 AM
I will likely be creating a Facebook event soon for this meet... as long as Facebook allows me to leave some details blank as "to be determined". Even though the exact location hasn't been identified, I know I will at least want to get this out on Facebook and start inviting my Facebook friends. It will be a "public" event so my Facebook friends can invite others with whom I am not "friends" there.

You can set a dummy location (such as just "Providence, RI" or a park) and update it later. I've done that in the past.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on November 26, 2018, 01:24:39 PM
You can set a dummy location (such as just "Providence, RI" or a park) and update it later. I've done that in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion, Josh!

I ended up creating this event on Facebook a few minutes ago. I decided that I was more comfortable making it a private, rather than public, event. However, I did give guests the option to invite attendees that I'm not Facebook friends with and couldn't invite.

If you're not on Facebook, or are on Facebook and do not receive an invitation from anyone, no worries. I will make sure to continue to post all the details here and will give folks the option to RSVP here.
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Due to my one and only big sister's Rutgers-New Brunswick graduation ceremony (aka commencement ceremony) being held (at HighPoint.com Stadium, home of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights college football team program) later in May of next year (on Sunday the 19th), we will probably pull out of this city meet as well due to a potential scheduling conflict.

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 27, 2018, 12:41:18 PM
Due to my one and only big sister's Rutgers-New Brunswick graduation ceremony (aka commencement ceremony) being held (at HighPoint.com Stadium, home of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights college football team program) later in May of next year (on Sunday the 19th), we will probably pull out of this city meet as well due to a potential scheduling conflict.
Seriously... no one cares about each and every detail of your life. Just wait until you know for sure and say "going". Airplane routes, graduations, changing your mind 30 times... No. One. Cares.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2018, 06:18:31 PM
Seriously... no one cares about each and every detail of your life. Just wait until you know for sure and say "going". Airplane routes, graduations, changing your mind 30 times... No. One. Cares.
Just had to put that out there. Sorry?

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 27, 2018, 07:07:45 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2018, 06:18:31 PM
Just had to put that out there. Sorry?
Please just think before you post in the future. Thanks.

A.J. Bertin

This meet is now less than 4 months away, and I think I'm going to choose a restaurant somewhere around East Providence. When I was looking on TripAdvisor at different restaurant options in East Providence, there was one in particular that looked interesting to me... based on the menu, the spread of reviews, and the location... being in the outlot of a strip mall where everyone who wasn't driving could easily leave their cars behind and not have to worry about parking.

The restaurant I found is called Davenport's. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good? (I believe it's a local or regional chain.) I of course will call the place to make sure they could take an advanced reservation for a group of people around 11:00.
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 10, 2019, 06:22:52 PM
This meet is now less than 4 months away, and I think I'm going to choose a restaurant somewhere around East Providence. When I was looking on TripAdvisor at different restaurant options in East Providence, there was one in particular that looked interesting to me... based on the menu, the spread of reviews, and the location... being in the outlot of a strip mall where everyone who wasn't driving could easily leave their cars behind and not have to worry about parking.

The restaurant I found is called Davenport's. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good? (I believe it's a local or regional chain.) I of course will call the place to make sure they could take an advanced reservation for a group of people around 11:00.

It's definitely a local chain AFAIK. Never been there though.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 06:51:09 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 10, 2019, 06:22:52 PMThe restaurant I found is called Davenport's. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good? (I believe it's a local or regional chain.) I of course will call the place to make sure they could take an advanced reservation for a group of people around 11:00.
It's definitely a local chain AFAIK.
In case anyone's interested, here's their website.

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2018, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 02, 2018, 10:22:20 PM
What road features would we be checking out?
There is no formal tour, but I am well versed in roads features:
* New I-195 bridge/alignment
* Scars of the old bridge/alignment
* Old I-195 Washington Bridge
* Henderson Bridge (planned US 44 freeway)
* Strange shields of Providence and Woonsocket
* Mixed Up Mile: US 1/RI 15/RI 114 in Pawtucket
* Will I-295 be mileage-based exits by then? Hm...
* Stub south end of RI 10
* Is the old black guide sign still up at the north end of RI 10? Still was there last time.
* "RI 195" overhead plaques at the 10/6 junction
* Revamped I-95 at US 6/RI 10
* Dare you to find all the US 1A signs
* Western US 6 freeway stub (would-be I-84)
Some other road/bridge-related items further east of Davenport's East Providence location (I-195's not too far from the restaurant & the quickest route to the below-items involves crossing the MA border twice):

* The reconfigured Exit 5 along I-195 in Fall River, MA at the eastern end of the Braga Bridge; the old elevated MA 79/138 viaduct was taken down.
* The new Sakonnet River Bridge (RI 24) linking Tiverton & Portsmouth (not sure whether or not the old one is completely gone by now - latest GSVs are from 2012).
* The stub for the cancelled I-895 then later RI 24 extension in Newport at RI 138.  Plans are presently in the works to eliminate the stub. 
This old button-copy BGS on the right may still be there.

* Mt. Hope Bridge (RI 114) linking Bristol & Portsmouth (tolls were eliminated circa 1998)
* Newport Bridge (RI 138) linking Newport to Jamestown (bridge has a $4 toll for each way & accepts E-ZPass)
* Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge (RI 138) linking Jamestown to North Kingston

Just a few to throw out there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kevinb1994

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 11, 2019, 08:09:02 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 06:51:09 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 10, 2019, 06:22:52 PMThe restaurant I found is called Davenport's. Is anyone familiar with it? Is it any good? (I believe it's a local or regional chain.) I of course will call the place to make sure they could take an advanced reservation for a group of people around 11:00.
It's definitely a local chain AFAIK.
In case anyone's interested, here's their website.

Quote from: Alps on November 02, 2018, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 02, 2018, 10:22:20 PM
What road features would we be checking out?
There is no formal tour, but I am well versed in roads features:
* New I-195 bridge/alignment
* Scars of the old bridge/alignment
* Old I-195 Washington Bridge
* Henderson Bridge (planned US 44 freeway)
* Strange shields of Providence and Woonsocket
* Mixed Up Mile: US 1/RI 15/RI 114 in Pawtucket
* Will I-295 be mileage-based exits by then? Hm...
* Stub south end of RI 10
* Is the old black guide sign still up at the north end of RI 10? Still was there last time.
* "RI 195" overhead plaques at the 10/6 junction
* Revamped I-95 at US 6/RI 10
* Dare you to find all the US 1A signs
* Western US 6 freeway stub (would-be I-84)
Some other road/bridge-related items further east of Davenport's East Providence location (I-195's not too far from the restaurant & the quickest route to the below-items involves crossing the MA border twice):

* The reconfigured Exit 5 along I-195 in Fall River, MA at the eastern end of the Braga Bridge; the old elevated MA 79/138 viaduct was taken down.
* The new Sakonnet River Bridge (RI 24) linking Tiverton & Portsmouth (not sure whether or not the old one is completely gone by now - latest GSVs are from 2012).
* The stub for the cancelled I-895 then later RI 24 extension in Newport at RI 138.  Plans are presently in the works to eliminate the stub. 
This old button-copy BGS on the right may still be there.

* Mt. Hope Bridge (RI 114) linking Bristol & Portsmouth (tolls were eliminated circa 1998)
* Newport Bridge (RI 138) linking Newport to Jamestown (bridge has a $4 toll for each way & accepts E-ZPass)
* Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge (RI 138) linking Jamestown to North Kingston

Just a few to throw out there.

Ah yeah, I remember as a 8-or-9-year-old riding through Fall River with my family in tow on the way to and from a family wedding in Orleans in Cape Cod at the Captain Linnell House (we stayed overnight at a inn or motel in Chatham near the beach and lighthouse). I believe we clinched Cape Cod, but don't recall if we did manage to get to Martha's Vineyard and/or Nantucket. We also visited Plymouth and Plimoth Plantation during our family trip.

Alps

I won't be checking out any road features in RI. After lunch I will probably drive up to Boston to check out the recently opened South Boston bypass road, and try to get up into the T parking lot for some button copy that's eluded me for almost 20 years, and have some delicious Christina's ice cream, and maybe visit a friend, before coming back down to Pdence for dinner. (Maybe. I might just visit more friends.)

kevinb1994

Quote from: Alps on January 11, 2019, 11:35:27 PM
I won't be checking out any road features in RI. After lunch I will probably drive up to Boston to check out the recently opened South Boston bypass road, and try to get up into the T parking lot for some button copy that's eluded me for almost 20 years, and have some delicious Christina's ice cream, and maybe visit a friend, before coming back down to Pdence for dinner. (Maybe. I might just visit more friends.)

I didn't know that there's now a South Boston bypass road. Say hi to Christina for me, she's my cousin (only kidding, she's not old enough to be on her own and running her own ice cream place).

Alps

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 11, 2019, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 11, 2019, 11:35:27 PM

I didn't know that there's now a South Boston bypass road. Say hi to Christina for me, she's my cousin (only kidding, she's not old enough to be on her own and running her own ice cream place).
Well, that'll be an awkward introduction. There has been one for over 20 years, but it only sporadically opens to non-trucks.

froggie

Quote from: kevinb1994I didn't know that there's now a South Boston bypass road.

https://www.mass.gov/bypass-road-and-loganroute-1a-express-lane-pilot

Starts on the I-93 frontage roads at Exit 18 and heads northeast, connects to I-90 Exit 25 and continues as the MassPort Haul Rd near the Convention Center.

According to the MassDOT pilot page, it will still be restricted to trucks westbound past Richards St/Cypher St, but will be open to all traffic eastbound (coming from I-93).

As Alps noted, it's been around for about 20 years but was commercial vehicles only until MassDOT began these pilot programs (a 6-month pilot in 2016 and the current pilot).

PHLBOS

Another road-item to add to the possible meet viewing (before it changes) this May:

Henderson Bridge will be replaced using $54 million in federal aid

This bridge was originally built as part of long-abandoned US 44 Expressway project.  It was built to be a 6-laner but it's been operating as a 4-laner for years if not decades.  The replacement will only be a 2-laner with bike & pedestrian lanes.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kevinb1994

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 26, 2019, 10:36:48 AM
Another road-item to add to the possible meet viewing (before it changes) this May:

Henderson Bridge will be replaced using $54 million in federal aid

This bridge was originally built as part of long-abandoned US 44 Expressway project.  It was built to be a 6-laner but it's been operating as a 4-laner for years if not decades.  The replacement will only be a 2-laner with bike & pedestrian lanes.

A good punchline would be that the replacement will be replaced with a ferry. ;)

That would be going from 6 to 4 to 2 to no lanes at all! :p

About time they replaced the old bridge, it was over-built for a need that never was and never will be.

At this point we're not counting on going as we will be preparing for a family event or two later in May, which will count us out of going to the Portsmouth, Ohio meet as well.

A.J. Bertin

This meet is coming up rather quickly; we're down to less than 8 weeks away now! I think I'm almost certain that I'm going to choose Davenport's in East Providence as our lunch venue.

Among the attendees, will many of you be interested in re-convening for dinner after you've done your sightseeing? I'm also considering finding a place to do karaoke on that Saturday night. Would there be much interest in that?

I've also posted these questions in the discussion section of the Facebook event page, but for anyone who either isn't on Facebook or didn't get the invitation, I figured I'd also share these questions here.
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

As I noted on the FB event page, I plan on going.  I've been going back and forth on whether to make this a day trip or overnight somewhere up there.  I've decided not to overnight.  I'll be joining everyone for lunch and I'll do some clinching in RI and MA and then head back home.  I will not be at dinner, it will just make too long of a day for me. The older I get, the less I enjoy driving at night (especially in areas that I don't frequent) and I am truly concerned with falling asleep driving home if I make it too late of a night.  Unless I come into a lot of money in the next two months, this is my plan and I'm sticking to it.

A.J. Bertin

I'm hoping to have a firm count of attendees by a week or two prior to the meet. (Is that reasonable?) Is anyone planning on attending this meet who is not connected to the event on Facebook?
-A.J. from Michigan

PHLBOS

Update: my Saturdays have been literally blowing up with activities, events and so forth as of late.  As a result, due to a local commitment scheduled for that morning; I will not be able to attend this meet.  Bummer.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.