News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajlynch91

If they're gonna rename a highway after Obama, name 57 after him. That doesn't have a name already, and the idea of the Stevenson being renamed after him is frankly sickening.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: ajlynch91 on February 26, 2017, 05:11:03 PM
If they're gonna rename a highway after Obama, name 57 after him. That doesn't have a name already, and the idea of the Stevenson being renamed after him is frankly sickening.

Actually I thought that was the original plan!  Weren't they gonna do that with 57?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

tribar

57 would make the most sense.

hobsini2

Completely agree that it should be I-57.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Revive 755

It appears IDOT is dropping the Gateway Connector corridor in the St. Louis area:  http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article132984679.html

inkyatari

Construction has begun on replacing the IL 178 bridge over the Illinois river at Utica / Starved Rock.  I think this is the last bridge between LaSalle /Peru and Morris to be replaced.

http://www.wbzg.net/2017/02/24/construction-begins-today-on-il-178-bridge-in-utica/
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on March 13, 2017, 02:20:12 PM
Construction has begun on replacing the IL 178 bridge over the Illinois river at Utica / Starved Rock.  I think this is the last bridge between LaSalle /Peru and Morris to be replaced.

http://www.wbzg.net/2017/02/24/construction-begins-today-on-il-178-bridge-in-utica/

There is one more truss bridge, IL 251 in Peru, that is actually older than the IL 178 bridge by 2 years. It has been rehabbed, but I'd anticipate it will be replaced within the next 15-20 years or so. The IL 178 bridge was in worse shape, and the grate drains on the shoulders (that caused deterioration of the stringers underneath the deck) didn't help.

paulthemapguy

The Seneca bridge was replaced in the last 10 years as well...how old is the one in Marseilles?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rick Powell

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 14, 2017, 12:39:48 AM
The Seneca bridge was replaced in the last 10 years as well...how old is the one in Marseilles?

County Highway 15 replacement bridge was opened around December 1997, according to John Weeks' site. I remember it was a cold day, they had about 2,000 people on the bridge including a high school band, and several dignitaries speaking, before opening to traffic.

https://www.johnweeks.com/river_illinois/pages/illC08.html

inkyatari

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 14, 2017, 12:39:48 AM

Awesome Seneca bridge demo fail...

SSOWorld

More like Bridge Demo entertainment fail.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 14, 2017, 08:33:25 PM
More like Bridge Demo entertainment fail.

They took lessons from AHTD
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 14, 2017, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on March 13, 2017, 02:20:12 PM

There is one more truss bridge, IL 251 in Peru, that is actually older than the IL 178 bridge by 2 years. It has been rehabbed, but I'd anticipate it will be replaced within the next 15-20 years or so. The IL 178 bridge was in worse shape, and the grate drains on the shoulders (that caused deterioration of the stringers underneath the deck) didn't help.

What's interesting, from what I've been able to glean about the new Utica / Starved Rock bridge, is that it will be built on the old road / bridge alignment just to the east of the current bridge. Before the current bridge, the previous bridge over the Illinois river was here.  Looking at a map, the road to the St. Louis canyon at Starved Rock was the original approach. North of the park entrance road, the old pavement for the previous bridge was utilized as one of the park's many trails.  Looks like the park's trail system is going to go down again, this time by one mile.

Revive 755

Quote from: inkyatari on March 17, 2017, 09:08:11 AM
What's interesting, from what I've been able to glean about the new Utica / Starved Rock bridge, is that it will be built on the old road / bridge alignment just to the east of the current bridge. Before the current bridge, the previous bridge over the Illinois river was here.  Looking at a map, the road to the St. Louis canyon at Starved Rock was the original approach. North of the park entrance road, the old pavement for the previous bridge was utilized as one of the park's many trails.  Looks like the park's trail system is going to go down again, this time by one mile.

I would have thought has part of the environmental/4F process that section of trail would have to be replaced as part of the bridge replacement?

inkyatari

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 17, 2017, 09:51:09 PM

I would have thought has part of the environmental/4F process that section of trail would have to be replaced as part of the bridge replacement?

We'll have to see.  I could be wrong on this.

Rick Powell

Quote from: inkyatari on March 17, 2017, 11:40:06 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on March 17, 2017, 09:51:09 PM

We'll have to see.  I could be wrong on this.

The alignment that the old swing bridge was on (pre-1961) was about 200 feet to the east of the present bridge. The new bridge will not be on the old alignment...due to adjacent park land, it will be only 10 feet clearance from the present bridge, so it is going east but not nearly as far east as the old swing bridge. I have been up on the pre-1961 pavement in the park on the south side of the river, and there is no trail there, it is all overgrown with trees and vegetation, at least in the section nearest the river. The trail that crosses the west park entrance a few hundred feet back of IL 178 will be left intact by this project.

inkyatari

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 18, 2017, 12:13:36 AM

The alignment that the old swing bridge was on (pre-1961) was about 200 feet to the east of the present bridge. The new bridge will not be on the old alignment...due to adjacent park land, it will be only 10 feet clearance from the present bridge, so it is going east but not nearly as far east as the old swing bridge. I have been up on the pre-1961 pavement in the park on the south side of the river, and there is no trail there, it is all overgrown with trees and vegetation, at least in the section nearest the river. The trail that crosses the west park entrance a few hundred feet back of IL 178 will be left intact by this project.

The old road alignment, last I checked, is listed on the park maps as being a trail.

inkyatari

Over the last couple weeks, I've seen Road Construction signs going up on I-55, around Weber Road in Bolingbrook. Anyone know what's going on?  I don't think it's the long delayed reconstruction of the Weber Rd. interchange.

Henry

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 26, 2017, 05:38:41 PM

Actually I thought that was the original plan!  Weren't they gonna do that with 57?
Quote from: hobsini2 on February 26, 2017, 07:17:56 PM
Completely agree that it should be I-57.
I was thinking the exact same thing! Leave I-55 alone; the Stevenson is a better fit than the Obama ever will be.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cwm1276

Anyone know what is being discussed for I39 around Rockford.  9 and half years after the last informational meeting IDOT had another one.  I saw it on the news after the fact. 

I did see a drawing of a DDI in the background, so I assume they are considering a DDI for Harrison and I39?  That is the only interchange in the study area.

I-39

There was a recent meeting for the I-39/US 20 improvement project in Rockford. They are now projecting Phase I to be finished by the end of the year.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/I39US20

Does anyone know what was said, and what alternative was chosen? This is a long overdue project.

cwm1276

The DDI idea is growing on me.  I project this project to be completed after 2025. It is a bad section of road for the merging traffic northbound and the single lane 39 southbound.  Just yesterday I saw a semi taking the 39 ramp south slow backing up traffic.

20 was never designed to carry it's traffic and what has become a major north south Interstate.

The problem is I don't see any motivation in the state to want to complete a major highway project in the Rockford area.

Also this project will lead to more US 20 work around Rockford as multiple bridges are being let to rust for eventual replacement.  Bridges include Perryville, 20th street and IL 2.

I-39

Quote from: cwm1276 on March 26, 2017, 07:01:03 PM
The DDI idea is growing on me.  I project this project to be completed after 2025. It is a bad section of road for the merging traffic northbound and the single lane 39 southbound.  Just yesterday I saw a semi taking the 39 ramp south slow backing up traffic.

20 was never designed to carry it's traffic and what has become a major north south Interstate.

The problem is I don't see any motivation in the state to want to complete a major highway project in the Rockford area.

Also this project will lead to more US 20 work around Rockford as multiple bridges are being let to rust for eventual replacement.  Bridges include Perryville, 20th street and IL 2.

I thought they were suppose to replace the Perryville Road overpass soon?

cwm1276

A railroad bridge on Perryville was just replaced, it is just north of 20/39.  I figured they were holding off on the 20/39 bridge for the 39 project.

ET21

They just replaced the river bridges on 20 just west of 39 the past two years. I wouldn't be surprised if the roadway bridges are next and/or tied with this project
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.