News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tucson Freeways

Started by andy3175, May 10, 2015, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

Quote from: swbrotha100 on March 31, 2016, 09:25:15 PM
I lived in Tucson for awhile years ago. I still visit once in a while. I've been frustrated for years in how anything transportation related drags on for years and years. Take for example, 22nd St, between I-10 and Kino Pkwy:

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/projects/22nd-street-i-10-kino-parkway-widening

"On hold" for eternity? Who knows.

When the RTA bill was proposed, the east-west arterial expansions were pitched sort of as a bundle and for whatever reason, in my mind, I recall them going Grant Road, Broadway, 22nd, in that order. I don't know why I have that in my mind, but that's the way projects have gone nonetheless. 22nd Street doesn't have priority, partly because traffic flows pretty well along it, there are a number of alternate routes and - getting back to classism - the wealthier people live north of 22nd and don't use it.
The Kino overpass project was at least completed, and I believe it was completed on schedule.
I think the thing with the 22nd Street widening, especially the section west of Kino, is that it brings up the old bitterness within the near south side, mostly Latino, communities, regarding projects that require demolition. No one in Tucson forgets anything, ever, regardless of how long ago it was. Unless it turned into a good thing, like the streetcar project (people complained so much during that construction), and then it's never spoken of again.

Edit:
And I'll be back at the end of the month. We're driving from Phoenix and will probably go all the way to the Kino exit, so I'll be sure to scope out the logo signs. Maybe even get the wife to drive so I can snap some pictures.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: coatimundi on April 02, 2016, 04:08:51 PM

And I'll be back at the end of the month. We're driving from Phoenix and will probably go all the way to the Kino exit, so I'll be sure to scope out the logo signs. Maybe even get the wife to drive so I can snap some pictures.

The first scheduled phase of installation is on I-10 from Tangerine Road to I-19 , so I would think they would be there.  However, I wonder if GCSLS will update their website by then.

Note that the Tangerine exit actually has Camping general service signs (text signs on the freeway mainline, and small signs with the tent symbol on the ramps), but no logos.  I wonder if these will be replaced by logo signs assuming the campground at that exit decides to get a logo sign.

It seems the SR 210 eventual connection to I-10 is not off the table, but more awaiting future attention when other big projects are out of the way. But when it happens, Tucson will see its first new freeway since the early 1960s. It seems one of the three proposals turn Alvernon Way into the SR 210 freeway with a few interchanges before meeting up with I-10 at a flyover interchange as per ADOT files. The other two proposals show the SR 210 freeway skirting the south perimeter of Davis Monthan AFB, then displacing Swan to I-10. The last one does a similar action, but ends up taking a winding snake like path to Wilmot Road, then displacing Wilmot to I-10. I don't know if the rest of 210 between Alvernon and Broadway will be turned into a freeway.

https://www.azdot.gov/projects/south-central/i-10-and-sr-210-feasibility-study/documents

And the unusual interchange RTA built at Kino Parkway and 22nd Street between 2011 and 2015 seems to bring out a glimpse of Kino Parkway's "What Could Have Been" past as the unbuilt I-710. It isn't freeway standard though. There is a large lack of shoulders and high curbs, as well as Bicycle Paths that cross the exit/entrance ramps. No word either on if more interchanges will be built on Kino or if the interchange with SR 210 will become a flyover. I find it odd the RTA even built one interchange on the parkway.

Also, I think we're all familiar with Interstate 11. There's a good possibility of it being a separate freeway until reaching Avra Valley, before interchanging with I-10.

Then lastly, there's the Sonoran Corridor proposal which doesn't seem to go away or get built. Residents in Sahuarita are apparently asking the state to build it across El Toro Road. There's also talk about it being funded by federal dollars.

http://tucson.com/news/business/county-report-sonoran-corridor-would-have-b-impact/article_8e4a9e31-2799-52f6-87bc-f902f9cd4fa8.html

http://www.gvnews.com/news/town-asks-for-el-toro-rd-sahuarita-be-part-of/article_8c430bf0-f5d4-11e5-bea1-af26a76f70bc.html

Pink Jazz

So, does anyone have any updates on the Tucson area logo signs?

NE2

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 16, 2016, 10:41:28 AM
No.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

coatimundi

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 16, 2016, 10:41:28 AM

Actually, yes!
I only drove eastbound I-10, but they were definitely at the Grant Road exit but not at the Speedway exit in that direction. They looked very new. Del Taco and Waffle House were on there. I seem to remember them being at Ruthrauf as well. One for Jack in the Box and, I think, the Arco.
I know you had brought up the "CAMPING" sign at Cortaro - I remember that sign and always thought it was weird that it was in all caps - and I did not see a logo sign for the campground on the eastbound side though there was a logo sign at Cortaro.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: coatimundi on May 16, 2016, 01:08:27 PM

Actually, yes!
I only drove eastbound I-10, but they were definitely at the Grant Road exit but not at the Speedway exit in that direction. They looked very new. Del Taco and Waffle House were on there. I seem to remember them being at Ruthrauf as well. One for Jack in the Box and, I think, the Arco.
I know you had brought up the "CAMPING" sign at Cortaro - I remember that sign and always thought it was weird that it was in all caps - and I did not see a logo sign for the campground on the eastbound side though there was a logo sign at Cortaro.

Good to know.  Were these signs in Clearview or FHWA?

coatimundi

Sorry, I don't recall. There's not a lot of text on them, obviously. I would lean towards Clearview, but I don't want to steer you wrong if it wasn't. I only say that because I recall them looking different than the typical logo signs.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: coatimundi on May 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM
Sorry, I don't recall. There's not a lot of text on them, obviously. I would lean towards Clearview, but I don't want to steer you wrong if it wasn't. I only say that because I recall them looking different than the typical logo signs.

Phoenix is almost all Clearview, all with large exit tabs (even those with only one service type).

Pink Jazz

According to AZ511.gov It looks like ADOT in Tucson has extended the hours it displays travel times on its DMS to display them most of the day, which Phoenix has done since July 2015.

In addition, it also appears that ADOT has expanded the number of DMS in Tucson displaying travel times from two to five.  New locations include one on I-10 eastbound west of Ajo displaying travel time to Valencia, one on I-10 westbound east of Valencia displaying travel times to I-19 and Miracle Mile, and one on I-19 northbound near Valencia displaying travel times to I-10 and Miracle Mile.

Roadwarriors79

I was in Tucson over the weekend. The freeway construction areas of significance are at I-19/Ajo Way and I-10/Ina Road. It was nice to see that the SB I-19 on ramp from Ajo was built to be a braided ramp for the future, whenever ADOT reconstructs the SB exit to Irvington Rd. On I-10, all traffic is now going under the future Ina overpass, using the future EB lanes.

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

DJStephens

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 05, 2018, 09:34:35 PM
I was in Tucson over the weekend. The freeway construction areas of significance are at I-19/Ajo Way and I-10/Ina Road. It was nice to see that the SB I-19 on ramp from Ajo was built to be a braided ramp for the future, whenever ADOT reconstructs the SB exit to Irvington Rd. On I-10, all traffic is now going under the future Ina overpass, using the future EB lanes.

The 10 corridor on the east side seems ancient compared to downtown, the 19 interchange, and the west side.  When are they going to widen and improve it?  Did drive through there yesterday and noticed the perpetual work at the Craycroft and Wilmot overpasses does not provide for at least an additional through lane in each direction.  Believe four lanes in each direction with full shoulder on both sides is what's needed there.   What's up with that??   Seems shortsighted. 

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: DJStephens on February 10, 2018, 10:43:53 PM
Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on February 05, 2018, 09:34:35 PM

The 10 corridor on the east side seems ancient compared to downtown, the 19 interchange, and the west side.  When are they going to widen and improve it?  Did drive through there yesterday and noticed the perpetual work at the Craycroft and Wilmot overpasses does not provide for at least an additional through lane in each direction.  Believe four lanes in each direction with full shoulder on both sides is what's needed there.   What's up with that??   Seems shortsighted.

The only plans I see in terms of I-10 east of the I-19 interchange are planned widenings to tie into a new I-10/AZ 210 interchange somewhere around Alvernon Way or a little east of there. There is info in the plans regarding the AZ 210 extension.

http://azdot.gov/planning/transportation-studies/i-10-and-sr-210-feasibility-study/overview

JKRhodes

This study comes up with some pretty grand improvements for I-10 between I-19 and SR 83. Much of it seems like a pipe dream at this point:

https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Servers/Server_6/File/Government/Transportation/Transportation%20Planning/Future%20Roadway%20Plans%20and%20Reports/I-10_SR%20210%20Feasibility%20Report%20(no%20appendix).pdf

Houghton will be getting a new interchange, though not to the specs recommended in this study. The study called for an urban diamond with three thru lanes in each direction and two left turn lanes. The new interchange will be a DDI, according to some other news sources.

Roadwarriors79

Looks like the I-19/Ajo Way SPUI is now open (since March). Still work to be done to make Ajo Way 6 lanes in the immediate area.

I wish the city of Tucson would consider widening Speedway Blvd to 6 lanes between Stone Ave and Euclid Ave. The other east-west streets (Grant Rd, Broadway Blvd, 22nd St) all have widenings planned.

Downtown Links (connecting AZ 210/Aviation Highway to I-10 via St Mary's Rd) looks like it will be back to the drawing board. The bids were too expensive to move forward with construction anytime soon.

ztonyg

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on May 03, 2018, 08:37:23 PM
Looks like the I-19/Ajo Way SPUI is now open (since March). Still work to be done to make Ajo Way 6 lanes in the immediate area.

I wish the city of Tucson would consider widening Speedway Blvd to 6 lanes between Stone Ave and Euclid Ave. The other east-west streets (Grant Rd, Broadway Blvd, 22nd St) all have widenings planned.

Downtown Links (connecting AZ 210/Aviation Highway to I-10 via St Mary's Rd) looks like it will be back to the drawing board. The bids were too expensive to move forward with construction anytime soon.

Widening Speedway from Stone to Euclid would require the demolition of dozens of homes and other businesses.

Judging from the glacial pace that widening Grant is going, even if they proposed to widen Speedway today it wouldn't be until the 2030s or 2040s when any work would even begin.

DJStephens

Have been to the Grant Road reconstruction as part of a new job (geotechnical) in the last month.  The project limits (Phase II) are from just east of Park to just west of Stone.   New curbing, and sidewalks are being installed currently.  Subgrade work on the eastern end is nearing completion, with asphalt base course close to be installed.   The work is continuing in a general fashion from west to east.  The intersections (1st Ave, Stone) will feature "michigan lefts" where traffic desiring to turn left off Grant will need to continue along and then U turn to return back to the desired turn.  This is visible a bit further west at Grant / Oracle, which am going to assume was part of Phase I.   Seems crazy, but maybe the desire is to shorten light cycles at major intersections.   And to avoid the need to widen up intersections in order to achieve double left turn lanes.  From what have learned this current phase started sometime in 2016, so it has been at least two years of disruption in that area.   

DJStephens

Pima County commissioners recently nixed $887 million (to be derived from a proposed sales tax) to pay to repair deteriorated county roadways.  Most of which are in the poorer areas in the south side of Tucson.   The proposed sales tax, was aimed at fixed existing roadways, not building any new ones apparently.   Some similarity to the '85 Maricopa County sales tax issue seems evident here, although it is certainly far smaller in scope.   Many of the south side arterials (Ajo, Irvington, Alvernon, etc. are beat up and feature large cracks from oxidized asphalt pavement cracking and splitting.   Very few improvements on many of these roads appear to have been made, and to an observer, one could be in the late sixties in terms of roadway elements - pavement, curbing, and traffic signals and masts.   
The media immediately blamed the two sitting Republicans, who apparently voted no.   An re-attempt may be made, by revisiting the issue at the ballot box in November.  If enough signatures can be acquired.   Don't know how much one can do with that number $887 million, perhaps a diamond mill and overlay on all the worst arterials, along with minimal ADA improvements at intersections.   

Pink Jazz

GCSLS finally updated the map on their website, and it looks like I-19 in Tucson now has logo signs installed at two exits (Valencia and Irvington), although the latter only has them in the northbound direction.

Fun fact: I-10 from SR 77 (then SR 84) to 6th Avenue in Tucson was one of the earliest planned freeways in Arizona and was originally constructed on the city's dime before the state took over. It appears at least $100,000 went into relocating the Santa Cruz River away from the route back as reported by the Arizona Daily Star in 1951. That and according to an official ADOT document, I-10 between 6th Avenue, Alvernon Way and Benson Highway was the first section of freeway in Arizona to be built using Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956/Interstate funds from the beginning of the project. Construction started in 1957 and was finished in the early 60s. Between 1958 and 1962, the segment from Present Day SR 77 and 6th Avenue was rebuilt to minimal Interstate standards and was first signed as I-10 shortly after work finished.

VS988

DJStephens

That would certainly explain why 10 east of downtown appears so old.   Really need to rebuild this eastern Tucson section (MP 262 - 282) before spending anything on I-11 silliness south of Phoenix.
SR - 77 (Miracle Mile) west of I-10 appears to still have much of its' early sixties (or earlier) curbing and lightposts.   The entire downtown section of I-10 was rebuilt in the early 00's, completely, adding a lane in each direction and improving exits and collector (frontage) roads.     

I took a gander at some old aerials. It appears I-10 between Valencia and Benson wasnt finished until sometime between 1968 and 1970. 1967 photos show it still under construction. I got my years wrong. Thinking about it though, Im starting to doubt if the ADOT document was entirely right. 1957 to 1968 is an awful long time to spend building a freeway segment that short, especially for those times. On a side note, I've found from this research experience that conflicting resources make it hard to nail down the full history of early I-10 with each one saying a different thing. In the sense of "the kettle was blue" or "it was definitively positively red" at the same time. This discovery proves the THPF document on Miracle Mile was partially wrong. While SR 84A by 1962 was I-10, the eastern segment obviously wasn't finished yet.

VS988

DJStephens

The Benson Highway was "twinned" at that time.  The EB lanes are the original two lane roadbed, and the WB lanes are the late sixties construction.   This is apparent from MP 282 to 288 approximately. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.