Pike's Peak Ocean to Ocean Highway - Utah Section

Started by Route66Fan, March 07, 2021, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Here is the map of the PP-OO in Utah, based on the route described in the "1919 Official Automobile Blue Book". The route is split into a Northern & a Southern route in the Eastern half of the state. The first few stretches between Rangely, CO & Vernal, UT & Cisco, UT to Green River, UT have been uploaded. I've noticed that the Northern routing of the PP-OO between Jennings, UT & Vernal, UT swings farther North than US 40 & bypasses Naples, UT.

Route66Fan

I've found a old abandoned bridge along the Northern route of the PP-OO Southwest of Vernal, UT.

I've also found where one old bridge & possibly another even older bridge once were on the Northern PP-OO alignment Southeast of Ft. Duchesne, UT.

US 89

You need access
Ask for access, or switch to an account with access.

Route66Fan

The old abandoned bridge that I found Southwest of Vernal, UT doesn't seem to have a listing on Bridgehunter.

Route66Fan

Quote from: US 89 on March 07, 2021, 06:06:32 PM
You need access
Ask for access, or switch to an account with access.
Sorry, I forgot to enable sharing on the map. The link is working now.

Route66Fan

I've uploaded the section between Vernal, UT & Roosevelt, UT. I'm not sure if the routing is accurate as it seems to be a mile longer than it should be.

Route66Fan

Another section from Roosevelt, UT to Duchesne, UT is now up.

Route66Fan

I've revised a section in Roosevelt, UT & added a section between Roosevelt, UT & Heber City, UT. Parts of this routing have been obliterated by the Strawberry Resevoir. Also, from what I figured out, the village of Strawberry, UT used to be located along the Strawberry River, but was moved a few miles North onto higher ground to avoid flooding.

Route66Fan

Another section between Heber City, UT & Salt Lake City, UT, is now up. Starting at Kimbal Junction, UT, the "PP-OO" follows the Lincoln Highway to San Francisco, CA. I think that this map section is 95% accurate.

Route66Fan

I've modified part of the routing in Green River, UT & added another section between Green River, UT & Price, UT.

Route66Fan

I found a couple more bridge abutments, along the "PP-OO", between Woodside, UT & Price, UT

Route66Fan

In mapping out the section of the "PP-OO" between Price, UT, to Salt Lake City, UT, I think that I found one old bridge & some more old bridge abutments that were on different alignments of the "PP-OO", either pre, or post 1919, near Castle Gate, UT.

Route66Fan

I've found what could be an even older alignment of the "PP-OO", North of Royal, UT.

US 89

Is there any specific reason you have it on that western alignment near the top of the Jordanelle Reservoir? I've always had the understanding that that was a newer alignment, and that the original route followed the eastern road (Google labels it "Perspective Dr"  and "Longview Dr" ) and went through that wye where the Ross Creek trailhead is now. This would also make sense because the original, pre-1917 route from Salt Lake to Wyoming actually went through Kamas, since the modern road through Silver Creek Canyon hadn't been built yet.

I'm also pretty sure a good bit of what you've identified in Parleys Canyon between Lambs Canyon and Parleys Summit (exit 137 to 140) is in fact a railroad grade that was in service until the 1940s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.