News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: Beltway on December 19, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
The "Construction Inspector's Bible" has clarification, what I said above is not exactly true, at least in the case of VDOT specs.  The base that the asphalt course is being placed on, needs to be at least 40 degrees F.  The air temp could be lower than that.

Thanks for the clarification, paving is going on in Roanoke this week (although we are having a mild spell now with temps in the 50s. At this end of the state it seems the limit on late-season paving depends more on an asphalt plant being open and operating.

Bruce in Blacksburg

ROANOKE, Va. (WDBJ7) - Drivers who use King Street NE near Orange Avenue will need to find another route for a few days starting Tuesday.

The road will be closed as crews from Faulconer Construction will be paving King Street, NE between Orange Avenue and Springtree Drive from December 19 through December 21.

The work will be done during the day.

City leaders encourage drivers to expect congestion the area and take detours around the work.

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Portion-of-King-Street-NE-to-close-for-paving-in-Roanoke-465036443.html
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Beltway

Quote from: VTGoose on December 20, 2017, 11:22:25 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 19, 2017, 10:27:55 PM
The "Construction Inspector's Bible" has clarification, what I said above is not exactly true, at least in the case of VDOT specs.  The base that the asphalt course is being placed on, needs to be at least 40 degrees F.  The air temp could be lower than that.
Thanks for the clarification, paving is going on in Roanoke this week (although we are having a mild spell now with temps in the 50s. At this end of the state it seems the limit on late-season paving depends more on an asphalt plant being open and operating.
Bruce in Blacksburg

That second factor is true in other parts of the Middle Atlantic region as well, most asphalt plants close during the winter.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

LM117

There's talk of another attempt at creating a transportation authority for western/SW VA. I don't expect this to get very far in the General Assembly...

http://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvirginian/news/state/hanger-considers-transportation-authority-to-help-with-i/article_7918a416-e82d-11e7-a8d9-ab986dcadfb3.html

QuoteSen. Emmett Hanger is researching the possibility of a Western Virginia Transportation Authority that could collect revenue from an increased state gas tax and funnel it to Interstate 81 and other western Virginia transportation needs.

Hanger, R-Mount Solon, broached the possibility of an authority similar to those in Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia during a legislative breakfast Wednesday morning sponsored by the Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Hanger said the authority would require General Assembly approval. His research centers on how much revenue could be generated by a western Virginia regional increase in the gas tax. The senator said the increase could be "a couple of pennies or a nickel." The increase would encompass a wide swath of western Virginia.

In addition to improvements for I-81, Hanger said the authority could help with a needed traffic artery in Southwest Virginia: the Coalfields Expressway. There could also be funding for putting an extension of Interstate 73 south of Roanoke toward Martinsville to the North Carolina border.

Hanger said the ultimate need for I-81 is an added lane in either direction and more road shoulder.

"Initially, we could expedite projects on the drawing board such as for truck climbing lanes," he said.

Ultimately, Hanger said the greater needs of I-81 could be considered should enough gas tax revenue and federal revenue be obtained.

The senator said there is no time to wait.

"We're at a point now where we want to put it out to people and see if they are willing to pay for it," Hanger said. The senator said the issues on I-81 are multiple and include the volume of traffic and the delays for travelers daily because of a lack of road capacity.

During a meeting in October at Blue Ridge Community College, Shenandoah Valley legislators talked to Virginia Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne about the clogged conditions and accidents on I-81. One of the facts disclosed at that meeting was that 40 percent of Virginia's truck traffic now uses I-81.

Hanger hopes to get some more answers about the authority and the revenue generated by a gas tax increase in time for the start of the 2018 Virginia General Assembly.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

AlexandriaVA

Passing a gas tax increase in SW VA?  :-D

I say no to this. The only outcome I see is the authority getting money from the state, which really means a transfer from Northern VA, Richmond, etc (already the case for school funding).

Jmiles32

Quote from: LM117 on December 29, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
There's talk of another attempt at creating a transportation authority for western/SW VA. I don't expect this to get very far in the General Assembly...
Perhaps not today, but as localities in Virginia not named NOVA and Hampton Roads start to wonder why none or very few of their desired projects are getting funded by smart scale, I think we'll start to see more statewide(even in very anti-tax areas) political support for these regional transportation authorities in the future. Serious conversations about them have already happened in places like Fredricksburg, Martinsville, and now Western Virginia.

However, there are still some who think VDOT is hiding an unlimited supply of money and believe a much better option is just to skip smart scale and force VDOT to build a project...
http://www.fredericksburg.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-two-more-lanes-desperately-needed-on-i/article_56f40768-a391-5ed7-a7be-a24eebed12ff.html
QuoteDELEGATE Mark Cole, R—Spotsylvania, has introduced a bill (HB 103) to do what Virginia should have done a while ago: Add an additional north and southbound lane to Interstate 95 from Massaponax to the Springfield interchange.

"Such project shall be funded from existing appropriations to the Commonwealth Transportation Board and shall not be subject to the prioritization process established pursuant to § 33.2-214.1 of the Code of Virginia,"  the bill says.

The "prioritization process"  the bill bypasses is Smart Scale, which is supposed to allocate transportation funding based on objective metrics instead of political considerations.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

VTGoose

Expect a lot of pushback from Southwest Virginia if an increase in the gas tax is suggested -- the region is looking at a 4- to 6-cent increase in the retail price of gasoline next year. The pipeline that supplies the tank farms in Montvale, which provides the fuel for gas stations in the Roanoke Valley, New River Valley, and beyond, will be shut down in the very near future. This will require fuel trucks to travel further to load, increasing the cost of transportation. See the Roanoke Times article at https://goo.gl/db4xYE

Interesting that Hanger, who represents the Shenandoah Valley, is pushing for this authority for "Southwest Virginia." It would be interesting to see what he considers to be "Southwest Virginia" and what an authority would do for I-81 up the valley in his area.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: VTGoose on December 29, 2017, 11:26:45 AM

Expect a lot of pushback from Southwest Virginia if an increase in the gas tax is suggested -- the region is looking at a 4- to 6-cent increase in the retail price of gasoline next year. The pipeline that supplies the tank farms in Montvale, which provides the fuel for gas stations in the Roanoke Valley, New River Valley, and beyond, will be shut down in the very near future. This will require fuel trucks to travel further to load, increasing the cost of transportation. See the Roanoke Times article at https://goo.gl/db4xYE

Interesting that Hanger, who represents the Shenandoah Valley, is pushing for this authority for "Southwest Virginia." It would be interesting to see what he considers to be "Southwest Virginia" and what an authority would do for I-81 up the valley in his area.

For better or for worse, NVTA is funding projects in Northern Virginia that were not going to get funded anytime soon by VDOT or DRPT.

Regarding I-81, I think there's pretty universal agreement that the current (mostly) four-lane I-81 is inadequate for a number of good reasons.  The idea of tolling truck traffic (only) crashed and burned many years ago, and I think that some sort of solution needs to be arrived at to get the engineering and design for a widening of all of it to 6 (or even 8) lanes under way. 

Some potential ways to accomplish the funding of this:

• Increase in motor fuel taxes in the counties and cities in the I-81 corridor only with a regional authority similar to NVTA;
  • Increase in motor fuel taxes statewide to fund this and other needed projects of statewide significance;
  • A PPTA-type tolling deal (to toll all traffic, not just trucks); or
  • A "traditional" toll road run by the Commonwealth or some other authority (perhaps the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel District might be an institutional model?).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Jmiles32 on December 29, 2017, 10:59:36 AM
Perhaps not today, but as localities in Virginia not named NOVA and Hampton Roads start to wonder why none or very few of their desired projects are getting funded by smart scale, I think we'll start to see more statewide(even in very anti-tax areas) political support for these regional transportation authorities in the future. Serious conversations about them have already happened in places like Fredricksburg, Martinsville, and now Western Virginia.

However, there are still some who think VDOT is hiding an unlimited supply of money and believe a much better option is just to skip smart scale and force VDOT to build a project...
http://www.fredericksburg.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-two-more-lanes-desperately-needed-on-i/article_56f40768-a391-5ed7-a7be-a24eebed12ff.html
QuoteDELEGATE Mark Cole, R—Spotsylvania, has introduced a bill (HB 103) to do what Virginia should have done a while ago: Add an additional north and southbound lane to Interstate 95 from Massaponax to the Springfield interchange.

"Such project shall be funded from existing appropriations to the Commonwealth Transportation Board and shall not be subject to the prioritization process established pursuant to § 33.2-214.1 of the Code of Virginia,"  the bill says.

The "prioritization process"  the bill bypasses is Smart Scale, which is supposed to allocate transportation funding based on objective metrics instead of political considerations.

Let every region fund its own projects. That would end this rural autonomy experiment in a heartbeat.

Smart Scale funds projects in Northern VA and Hampton Roads because that's where the need is, as well as return-on-investment. An extra lane on I-95 in rural areas is nice to have, not need to have. What and who is is Spotsylvania anyway?

Facilitating commuting in the major metro areas, that's where the ROI is.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 29, 2017, 11:46:02 AM
Quote from: VTGoose on December 29, 2017, 11:26:45 AM

For better or for worse, NVTA is funding projects in Northern Virginia that were not going to get funded anytime soon by VDOT or DRPT.

Regarding I-81, I think there's pretty universal agreement that the current (mostly) four-lane I-81 is inadequate for a number of good reasons.  The idea of tolling truck traffic (only) crashed and burned many years ago, and I think that some sort of solution needs to be arrived at to get the engineering and design for a widening of all of it to 6 (or even 8) lanes under way. 

• Increase in motor fuel taxes in the counties and cities in the I-81 corridor only with a regional authority similar to NVTA;
Not going to happen
  • Increase in motor fuel taxes statewide to fund this and other needed projects of statewide significance;
Possibly, but no guarantee that the monies would to go I-81
Not going to happen
  • A "traditional" toll road run by the Commonwealth or some other authority (perhaps the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel District might be an institutional model?).
Not going to happen
[/list]

Sorry, but the intrinsic anti-tax/anti-toll road screeds coming out of the rural/red parts of this state are tying the hands of any possible solution to the issue. Nothing happens to I-81 until the General Assembly funds it as part of an overall state infrastructure project, which will include non-highway mega-projects in the Northern VA and others (WMATA/VRE, Hampton Roads Light Rail, etc).

LM117

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 11:46:21 AMLet every region fund its own projects. That would end this rural autonomy experiment in a heartbeat.

Smart Scale funds projects in Northern VA and Hampton Roads because that's where the need is, as well as return-on-investment. An extra lane on I-95 in rural areas is nice to have, not need to have. What and who is is Spotsylvania anyway?

So basically, MFFY? :eyebrow:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 11:50:05 AM
Sorry, but the intrinsic anti-tax/anti-toll road screeds coming out of the rural/red parts of this state are tying the hands of any possible solution to the issue. Nothing happens to I-81 until the General Assembly funds it as part of an overall state infrastructure project, which will include non-highway mega-projects in the Northern VA and others (WMATA/VRE, Hampton Roads Light Rail, etc).

Maybe, though the originators of such screeds just suffered a pretty massive defeat at the  hands of Virginia voters in the House of Delegates races (never mind that the Virginia House districts were very gerrymandered to assure that many of them would be "safe" for the likes of outgoing Delegate Bob Marshall (R-13)) .
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: LM117 on December 29, 2017, 11:55:16 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 11:46:21 AMLet every region fund its own projects. That would end this rural autonomy experiment in a heartbeat.

Keep things in perspective. My zip code in South Arlington (effectively 5 neighborhoods and a golf course) has a population of just a hair under 21K (http://www.city-data.com/zips/22206.html), that's more than 40 counties in VA, plus however many ind. cities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_counties_in_Virginia#List_of_counties). Money should go where the people are.

Southside and SW VA have been losing population for decades anyway. Dying areas. An extra lane or interchange won't change anything.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 12:06:55 PM

Keep things in perspective. My zip code in South Arlington (effective 5 neighborhoods and a golf course) has a population of just a hair under 21K (http://www.city-data.com/zips/22206.html), that's more than 40 counties in VA, plus however many ind. cities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_counties_in_Virginia#List_of_counties). Money should go where the people are.

I am quite familiar with  the demographics of the Commonwealth in general, and Northern Virginia in  particular.

Southside and SW VA have been losing population for decades anyway. Dying areas. An extra lane or interchange won't change anything.

I strongly disagree.  Truck  traffic is not going away anytime soon, and like it or not, I-81 is a highway corridor of statewide (in Virginia) and national significance. 

There's also the matter of better highway infrastructure being one way that we can help depressed areas like Southwest Virginia.

Metrorail lines and Purple lines will do nothing for those communities.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 29, 2017, 12:15:16 PM

Keep things in perspective. My zip code in South Arlington (effective 5 neighborhoods and a golf course) has a population of just a hair under 21K (http://www.city-data.com/zips/22206.html), that's more than 40 counties in VA, plus however many ind. cities (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_counties_in_Virginia#List_of_counties). Money should go where the people are.

I am quite familiar with  the demographics of the Commonwealth in general, and Northern Virginia in  particular.

I strongly disagree.  Truck  traffic is not going away anytime soon, and like it or not, I-81 is a highway corridor of statewide (in Virginia) and national significance. 

There's also the matter of better highway infrastructure being one way that we can help depressed areas like Southwest Virginia.

Metrorail lines and Purple lines will do nothing for those communities.

The "one way" to help SW Virginia is to give "one-way" bus and train tickets to productive areas of state. You could build a 16-lane interstate and it wouldn't reopen coal mines or textile plants...

LM117

Bullshit. Tell the people in Blacksburg that an interchange at the dangerous US-460/N. Main Street intersection won't change anything and see what kind of response you get. Blacksburg got royally screwed over by VDOT on that deal and they haven't forgot it. Or tell those in Lynchburg that finishing the US-29 freeway bypass won't ease traffic on existing US-29 and see what their response is. Also, widening I-81 won't change anything? Yeah, the BS flag is definitely flying high on that one.

SW VA may be losing population, but there are still a lot of people that live and work here. Not everybody can just pack up and leave at the drop of a hat and some are not in a position to leave at all. Attitudes like yours are a big reason why a clown got elected POTUS.

With comments like this, it shouldn't be too difficult for the average Joe to see why the rest of the state, especially SW VA, feels the way they do towards NOVA...

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: LM117 on December 29, 2017, 12:46:52 PM

Bullshit. Tell the people in Blacksburg that an interchange at the dangerous US-460/N. Main Street intersection won't change anything and see what kind of response you get. Blacksburg got royally screwed over by VDOT on that deal and they haven't forgot it. Or tell those in Lynchburg that finishing the US-29 freeway bypass won't ease traffic on existing US-29 and see what their response is. Also, widening I-81 won't change anything? Yeah, the BS flag is definitely flying high on that one.

SW VA may be losing population, but there are still a lot of people that live and work here. Attitudes like yours are a big reason why a clown got elected POTUS.

With comments like this, it shouldn't be too difficult for the average Joe to see why the rest of the state, especially SW VA, feels the way they do towards NOVA...

Blacksburg projects are fine since VT is one of the few bright spots in that corner of the state.

Concerning attitudes, I couldn't care less. I don't have anything to do with that region, and my guess is that SW VA doesn't want anything to do with Northern VA (except our tax dollars!)

LM117

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 12:53:06 PM

SW VA may be losing population, but there are still a lot of people that live and work here. Attitudes like yours are a big reason why a clown got elected POTUS.

Concerning attitudes, I couldn't care less. I don't have anything to do with that region

That much is obvious.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: LM117 on December 29, 2017, 12:54:51 PM

Blacksburg projects are fine since VT is one of the few bright spots in that corner of the state.

Concerning attitudes, I couldn't care less. I don't have anything to do with that region

That much is obvious.

It's not personal, although you make it seem like people in SW VA and Southside have resentment towards NOVA. I can tell you that up here that nobody cares about the rest of the state (in the sense that the discussion never comes up one way or another). It's just not on the radar. The core of the matter is there aren't many votes and there isn't much money down that way. What constituency is there?

NOVA/Richmond/Newport News makes the state these days. I should add that I'm a lifelong Virginian and I've been to Richmond once in my life and never to Newport News. I just have nothing to do with any other region than NOVA. Such is life.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 12:31:12 PM
The "one way" to help SW Virginia is to give "one-way" bus and train tickets to productive areas of state. You could build a 16-lane interstate and it wouldn't reopen coal mines or textile plants...

I said nothing about re-opening any coal mines or textile plants. 

Coal is a victim of the enormous amounts of natural gas that are being extracted with fracking (in states like Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania), and I do not think anyone is going to change that. Unfortunately, it seems that employment generated by fracking is quite small (this is based on my informal observations of fracking wells in West Virginia). It is also cheaper to burn gas than coal for an assortment of reasons - starting with the lack of any toxic ash from gas-fired boilers, and carbon emissions are lower.  And it seems that coal mined in places like Wyoming is cheaper to extract than what is mined in Appalachia.

I doubt that large textile mills will return to any part of the United States anytime soon, though there may be some "specialty" mills (and there are people like me that are willing to pay a little more for garments that are not made in China).

But I am of the opinion that Southwest Virginia can be doing other things (and I do not claim to know what those other things might be - and not just growth in knowledge industries at and near Virginia Tech).  One is probably related to forestry and products from same, though I do not claim to know how much employment will result from that.

jeffandnicole

That much is obvious.

He's pretty much stated he doesn't care about the road network in NOVA as well.  If money doesn't flow to mass transit, and it's not going to help his commute, screw everyone else.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2017, 01:17:54 PM
He's pretty much stated he doesn't care about the road network in NOVA as well.  If money doesn't flow to mass transit, and it's not going to help his commute, screw everyone else.

Without all that highway traffic (and the taxes from same that subsidize transit), there is no transit service, not in Northern Virginia, and probably not in any other part of the Commonwealth of Virginia (exceptions made for college and university bus systems, which may be funded differently).

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 29, 2017, 01:17:54 PM

That much is obvious.

If you need to know, I solo reverse commute on 395. It was a conscious decision on my part in order to avoid traffic. Thus my commute isn't really affected in any way by any of the major projects around here, so I don't have a horse in the race, transit, road, or otherwise. Additionally, the road grid in Arlington/Alexandria makes local driving a non-issue (hardly ever sit in traffic for errands).

LM117

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on December 29, 2017, 12:56:49 PM

That much is obvious.

It's not personal, although you make it seem like people in SW VA and Southside have resentment towards NOVA.

I don't have to make it seem that way. There IS some resentment. Granted, some of the resentment is misguided for various reasons, but it's there nevertheless. That divide was even used in a campaign ad earlier this year during a race for the 12th District seat in the House of Delegates between former WDBJ news anchor Chris Hurst and incumbent Joseph Yost. Yost launched a negative TV ad against Hurst, claiming Hurst would redirect education money towards NOVA at the expense of SW VA. Obviously not many people believed it, considering Hurst won.

State sen. Bill Stanley has also made his grievances over SW VA's road funding (or lack of) well-known during his hopeless attempts to get the ball rolling on I-73.

AlexandriaVA

Part of the issue is that due to Dillon Rule laws, all authorities basically emanate from Richmond and must go through the General Assembly. Hence, Arlington needs permission to tax itself, etc etc.

Beltway

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 29, 2017, 11:46:02 AM

VDOT tried that with the 1998 TEA-21 program for tolling three Interstate corridors to finance the widening of the highway, they obtained one of the three pilots for I-81, and studied various tolling schemes including a conventional 3-3 widening and tolling of all vehicles.

Between local opposition all along the corridor, and opposition from many elected officials, and opposition from motorist advocacy groups, and opposition from trucking industry groups, there was no way that even one segment of the highway was going to get tolled.

When that wasn't going to work, VDOT got FHWA to shift the pilot project from I-81 to the I-95 corridor.  They got the same treatment there, it was no go.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.