News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest distance between gas stations in Each state

Started by tman, March 23, 2020, 04:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: 1 on March 26, 2020, 08:22:39 AMThere are 30 miles between Exit 2 and Exit 3 on the Mass Pike. Even with a rest area, there must be a gap of more than 8 miles somewhere along that 30 mile stretch.

Exit 2 is at mile 11, the Blandford plazas are at mile 29, and exit 3 is at mile 40. 18 miles from exit 2 to the Blandford plazas is the winner for MA.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: tman on March 24, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
Okay, some two-lane distances for MN (please correct me if they're not accurate; I used Google Maps and Gasbuddy)
Unsurprisingly, the majority were in the north/northwestern part of the state.

MN 89 - Grgyla to Redlake (56 miles)
   MN 1 - Ely to Finland (56 miles)

MN 6 - Big Falls to Talmoon (46 miles)
   MN 72 - Baudette to Waskish (41 miles)
   MN 9 - Herman to Breckenridge (38 miles)
   MN 9 - Ada to Crookston (35 miles)
   US 59 - Morris to Barrett (24 miles)

MN 1 from Thief River Falls to Red Lake might have these beat, at 75 miles.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

For NY, looking at Gas Buddy I think the longest distance on the freeway network is I-87 between exits 29 and 31 (23 miles).  For surface routes, there are some pretty impressive distances in the Adirondacks, such as the 39 mile gap on NY 8 from Poland to Piseco, 42 mile gap on NY 8 from Speculator to Chestertown, or the entire 40 mile length of NY 28N.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

7/8

If we can include Canada, there's a 209km (130mi) stretch between Hearst and Longlac in Northern Ontario on Highway 11 without any gas stations. I did the drive once and it's pretty desolate (nothing but trees)!

michravera

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 23, 2020, 04:23:28 PM
I would imagine I-40 or I-15 have the longest gaps.  I-40 between Ludlow East to Fenner is pretty lengthy.  If I recall correct there isn't any active service stations on I-15 between Barstow and Baker.  I-5 has some long gaps on the West Side Freeway but I don't think many top 20 miles.  I-10 might be up there too between Desert Center and Blythe. 

On conventional roads in California it seems CA 62's advertised 100 miles is the legit article.  I probably could string a couple low clearance roads in National Forests together that would probably beat 100 miles handily though.

Arizona has a couple lengthy freeway gas gaps.  I want to say Vicksburg to Tonopah might be the longest on I-10.

22 miles between EXITS at Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd on I-5. The gas stations on or near the freeway are at CASR-41 "Kettleman City" and CASR-46 the "Lost Hills" exit are about 32 miles apart.

I forget whether there are any gas stations on the freeway between CASR-198 and  CASR-152 (actually at CASR-33 "Santa Nella"). There may be something that gets you off the freeway and back on at CASR-165.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: index on March 26, 2020, 01:42:46 AM
Some gaps I was able to find in NC:

Brings to mind the Blue Ridge Parkway.  Years ago, there were small c-stores with Amoco stations attached at regular intervals along the entire parkway, but all of those are gone, so it is not possible to measure distances that way.  Here is a list of parkway exit points where gas is available, so it gives an idea of the distances between opportunities for a fuel stop.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hobsini2

I drove the Natchez Trace Pkwy last year from Franklin TN to Tupelo MS. There are long stretches of the Parkway without a town let alone gas stations within 3 miles of the Parkway.  In fact, the only town of consequence that I found was Collinwood TN with 3 gas stations.
Hohenwald TN (Tennessee 20 and US 412) to Collinwood TN (Tennessee 13) is 38 miles. Next gas was 1 mile east of the Trace on Alabama 20 west of Florence, AL. 22 miles. 18 miles to Cherokee AL (US 72). 21 miles to Tishomingo MS (MS 25). 36 miles to Saltillo MS (MS 363).
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ftballfan

Quote from: michravera on March 27, 2020, 03:41:27 AM
I would imagine I-40 or I-15 have the longest gaps.  I-40 between Ludlow East to Fenner is pretty lengthy.  If I recall correct there isn't any active service stations on I-15 between Barstow and Baker.  I-5 has some long gaps on the West Side Freeway but I don't think many top 20 miles.  I-10 might be up there too between Desert Center and Blythe. 

On conventional roads in California it seems CA 62's advertised 100 miles is the legit article.  I probably could string a couple low clearance roads in National Forests together that would probably beat 100 miles handily though.

Arizona has a couple lengthy freeway gas gaps.  I want to say Vicksburg to Tonopah might be the longest on I-10.

22 miles between EXITS at Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd on I-5. The gas stations on or near the freeway are at CASR-41 "Kettleman City" and CASR-46 the "Lost Hills" exit are about 32 miles apart.

I forget whether there are any gas stations on the freeway between CASR-198 and  CASR-152 (actually at CASR-33 "Santa Nella"). There may be something that gets you off the freeway and back on at CASR-165.

Between CA-198 (Exit 334) and CA-33 (Exit 407), there are gas stations at exit 368 (actually multiple at that exit), exit 385, and exit 391

DandyDan

I remember my 2009 trip from El Paso to Carlsbad Caverns and once you get past the last gas station going east on US 62/180, the next one is Whites City, NM, at the entrance to Carlsbad Caverns NP. It says 149 miles from El Paso to Whites City, but it's less than that. I tried finding the last gas station on US 62/180, but couldn't figure out where it was.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

michravera

Quote from: ftballfan on March 27, 2020, 04:11:44 PM

Between CA-198 (Exit 334) and CA-33 (Exit 407), there are gas stations at exit 368 (actually multiple at that exit), exit 385, and exit 391

So, it's 34 miles between CASR-198 and Panoche Rd.?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: michravera on March 28, 2020, 12:49:50 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on March 27, 2020, 04:11:44 PM

So, it's 34 miles between CASR-198 and Panoche Rd.?

Yes, and I always found it odd Panoche Road has the gas stations when County Route J1 is on Little Panoche Road.  Granted Panoche Road was for a brief time signed as CA 180 in the 1930s and was intended to be fleshed out to a real State Highway. 

tman

Nebraska is somewhat more impressive, not that it's too surprising. North-central/western Nebraska seems exceptionally desolate, more than most people might guess - nearly as much so as parts of the desert, IMHO. There are counties out there with just a couple hundred people. (Four of the ten least populated counties in the US are in Nebraska.) I drove through on NE 2/92 last fall, and made it around a half hour or so without seeing another car or human being. My car got one AM station, and one FM station, both public radio.

For Nebraska, I get:
74 miles between Mullen and Valentine (NE 97, which is shown as a "secondary highway" in the Rand McNally)
67 miles between Hyannis and Merriman (NE 61)
65 miles between Thedford and Valentine (US 83)

On I-80: 30 miles between Chappell exit and Sidney exit (you have to go into town in Chappell)
             21 miles between Ogalalla and Paxton exits
             20 miles between US 281 and NE 14

Roadgeekteen

Anyone know what the longest in Alaska is? Probably pretty long.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2020, 06:13:43 PM
Anyone know what the longest in Alaska is? Probably pretty long.

240 miles, longest in the U.S. (This is only for gas stations you can drive to -- you might get a higher number starting from communities like Utqiagvik, Kotzebue, or Yakutat with no road connections to each other or to any other communities.)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CtrlAltDel

For Illinois, I offer the 22 miles between exits 54 and 76 on I-88. There might be a longer gap somewhere on the roads of Forgottonia, but I haven't been able to find one.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

doorknob60

My guess for Oregon (sticking to reasonable routings and state highways) is if you're heading SE out of Burns towards Nevada on OR-78 and US-95, you won't hit a gas station until McDermott in 147 miles*. If you instead go north on US-95, it's not much better at 137 miles from Burns to Jordan Valley.

Not just that direction though, all of Eastern Oregon (outside the I-84 corridor) is very remote and gas is sparse. Go in any direction from Burns and your gas options are limited. Don't leave that town without at least half a tank of gas (depending on your vehicle of course, just be aware of the situation). OR-78 is simply the longest said stretch. US-20 from Buchanan to Vale is 90 miles, Riley to Bend is 100 miles, Burns to John Day is 70 miles, and Riley to Lakeview is 118 miles.

*EDIT: It appears there is some gas available in Crane, OR, but only from 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM (you need to pay in the store which closes at 7:30). Crane to McDermitt is still 118 miles though.

For interstates in OR, it would be I-84 from Ontario to Baker City (70 miles).

Despite my location, I honestly have no idea what it might be in Idaho (EDIT: US-12 was mentioned earlier, that sounds likely).

sbeaver44

PA might be PA 44 between Waterville and Coudersport -- there was a lodge/store at Carter Camp, but that appears to be closed now.  This would be approximately 59 miles between stations.

ftballfan

Quote from: doorknob60 on April 07, 2020, 04:33:32 PM
My guess for Oregon (sticking to reasonable routings and state highways) is if you're heading SE out of Burns towards Nevada on OR-78 and US-95, you won't hit a gas station until McDermott in 147 miles*. If you instead go north on US-95, it's not much better at 137 miles from Burns to Jordan Valley.

Not just that direction though, all of Eastern Oregon (outside the I-84 corridor) is very remote and gas is sparse. Go in any direction from Burns and your gas options are limited. Don't leave that town without at least half a tank of gas (depending on your vehicle of course, just be aware of the situation). OR-78 is simply the longest said stretch. US-20 from Buchanan to Vale is 90 miles, Riley to Bend is 100 miles, Burns to John Day is 70 miles, and Riley to Lakeview is 118 miles.

*EDIT: It appears there is some gas available in Crane, OR, but only from 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM (you need to pay in the store which closes at 7:30). Crane to McDermitt is still 118 miles though.

Despite my location, I honestly have no idea what it might be in Idaho (EDIT: US-12 was mentioned earlier, that sounds likely).
Harper appears to have a gas station, unless that one shut down recently. Buchanan to Harper is still 68 miles. GSV in 2018 shows that there are signs along WB US-20 just west of Harper as well as EB US-20 just east of Buchanan that say "Next Gas 68 miles". As of GSV's pass through there in 2012, Seneca appears to have had a station then (45 miles from Burns and 25 miles from John Day).

GSV shows abandoned gas stations at these areas:
The junction of US-95/OR-78 (63 miles from Crane, 55 miles from McDermitt, 46 miles from Jordan Valley)
Valley Falls (90 miles from Riley and 22 miles from Lakeview)
Hampton (60 miles from Bend, 21 miles from Brothers, 41 miles from Riley)
Brothers (39 miles from Bend, 21 miles from Hampton, 62 miles from Riley)

Also, I'm very surprised Huntington (population around 400) doesn't appear to have a gas station at all!

doorknob60

Quote from: ftballfan on April 13, 2020, 10:26:17 AM
Quote from: doorknob60 on April 07, 2020, 04:33:32 PM

Harper appears to have a gas station, unless that one shut down recently. Buchanan to Harper is still 68 miles. GSV in 2018 shows that there are signs along WB US-20 just west of Harper as well as EB US-20 just east of Buchanan that say "Next Gas 68 miles". As of GSV's pass through there in 2012, Seneca appears to have had a station then (45 miles from Burns and 25 miles from John Day).

GSV shows abandoned gas stations at these areas:
The junction of US-95/OR-78 (63 miles from Crane, 55 miles from McDermitt, 46 miles from Jordan Valley)
Valley Falls (90 miles from Riley and 22 miles from Lakeview)
Hampton (60 miles from Bend, 21 miles from Brothers, 41 miles from Riley)
Brothers (39 miles from Bend, 21 miles from Hampton, 62 miles from Riley)

Also, I'm very surprised Huntington (population around 400) doesn't appear to have a gas station at all!

Yeah you're right about Harper, my bad. For some reason I was picturing that gas station as being right near Vale. And yes, a lot of abandoned gas stations around rural Oregon. It took me a while to realize the big gap in gas between Bend and Riley (and realistically you'd want to gas up in Burns/Hines instead), since when I first drove through Hampton and Brothers, I didn't click that the gas stations there were abandoned. But they definitely are. There's another abandoned gas station in Millican (between Bend and Brothers). At least there's a rest area in Brothers, a common stop for me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.